"Veteran Moves" at Restaurants

Despite having never lived closer than 750 miles from an In and Out Burgers, I was able to work the Secret and SuperSecret menus like a boss, the last time we were in Las Vegas.

I use this thing called the “crinkle and twinkle” with my eyes. I used to get chicks with it, but now I’ve struck pure gold with restaurant waitstaff. You wouldn’t believe how much free bread I get. Sometimes they even ask if I want MORE!

I often order the 6-nugget kids meal from Chik-fil-A for lunch. You can turn in your toy and get a small ice cream.

StG

Now why’d you have to go an mention Filet-o-Fishes? Now I desperately want one. Dammit.

My son worked at a McDonald’s - and you know what? He told me that they’ll drop fresh fries for you if you ask them to. No more half cold half dead fries for ME!

I used to go to Subway when they had those stamp cards and they would give me not 1 or 2 stamps, but dozens!!

I frequently order a SHORT drink at Starbucks . . . and have them put it in my grande-size travel cup. Five-cent discount, bitches!

This whole thread smacks of the Starbucks crowd’s fetish for faux hipsterism and exclusivity. Every time I see or hear some SB’er use thirty-five words to order an item, it reminds me of the first diner scene in “When Harry Met Sally” and I have the irrepressible urge to mumble, “Number three, thanks.”

Which would be coffee, black, in a cup.

:dubious:

IIRC, it was like 6 stamps (maybe 12) for one free foot-long. Why would they “give you” dozens?

Unless I’m thinking of a different Subway stamp program…

I do that here at our little local chinese place. I love General Tso’s Tofu. Near as I can figure I am the only person who eats tofu in my town, I have seen them have to run out to the grocery next door to get a brick of tofu:smack: I also get it where it is half broccoli instead of a few decorative florettes and brown rice :smiley:

This one time I asked him for water, he gave me gasoline.

You do know you can have more than one stamp card at a time right?

Plus I knew most of the people that worked there and they would just spin the little wheel on the stamp dispenser a couple of times and give me how ever many stamps came out.

I can top all this. There have been times when a server pointed me towards one table…and I asked if a different one was available…and they said “Yes!”.

Who knew that you could request a booth instead of a table or a table near the window or something?

Clearly, I am so smooth you could spread me on toast.

Better yet, go a few minutes after closing and wait outside by the dumpster.

You may not be able to look at yourself in the mirror the next morning, but hey. Free chicken, bro. Can’t put a price on that shit.

Thank you. This isn’t a “Veteran Move,” or anything other than pilferage by your friend. Not that I was any different as a kid working at 7-11. Just wanted to coax the truth out of you.

Whenever I go into a restaurant, I don’t even have to tell them what I want. I just stare at them and they telepathically know it.

I worked at McDonalds as a wee lad and can confirm the above. Also you can ask for no salt on your fries and you’ll get a fresh batch as well. Most people like the salt so the frie person automatically salts every batch.

I knew most of the people that worked there and they would just spin the little wheel on the stamp dispenser a couple of times and give me how ever many stamps came out.

I see hrhomer beat me to it. It is actually more than pilferage by his friend, by accepting the extra “stamps”, the poster conspired with the thieving employees to steal from the restaurant.

I was different from this. Before I was old enough to have a job (and my first job was as an office boy at a local newspaper making 33 cents an hour at age 11) I knew it was wrong to steal.

I’m a freakin’ restaurant ninja.

I was once in a place for breakfast, and ordered a decaf. Since they only have one coffee pot in the place, they usually never have it. But that morning the waitress left the place, went next door to the bodega, bought a can of decaf, came back, and brewed a pot just for me.

More recently, I took my GF to a lounge where we could sit on a couch and snuggle while we ate. But there was a lamp above us that must have been putting out a billion watts. It was like that episode of Star Trek, Dagger of the Mind. And it put way too much attention on us. We flouted the conventions of polite society, and turned it off. We got thanked by a lot of people.

“Also you can ask for no salt on your fries and you’ll get a fresh batch as well. Most people like the salt so the frie person automatically salts every batch”

In the wayback, when I would go to fast fooderies, I had a friend who would do this (also ask for his burgers plain so they would be fresh made.)

Really kind of defeated the purpose of fast food as we would wait and wait for the food to be prepared fresh. The rest of us in the crowd found him to be as big a pain as the workers no doubt did.

Arby’s, before they added all their “market fresh” stuff, had something called an “Arby-Q”. Now, it’s not listed on the menu anymore. But with my Obi-Wan-like powers of persuasion, I can walk in, look the person behind the cash register straight in the eye and say, “An Arby-Q, please” and they make it for me.