Vicious Dogs might escape leashes

Don’t you just hate it when that happens? I’ve been doing pet rescue for longer than I want to say and I’ve only been bit twice. Once by a little poodle who bit me on the back of the leg and once by a little fat barky dog that was running around on the highway. I forgave the little barky dog, but the fucking poodle was on one of those goddamned retractable leashes and was NOT under control.

I consider myself to be a responsible dog owner, and the irresponsible ones do upset me. When my husband and I wanted to add a dog to our family, we chose a retired grayhound because they are trained to an inch of their lives.

THEN, we took dog training classes so we wouldn’t confuse her. Buttercup once scared a child by walking sedately next to me and being a dog.

I removed her from the situation at once. Our lady wasn’t being a Bad Dog, and we had as much right to use the sidewalk as the mom and kid, but I’m a reasonable person and I feel that its my responsibility to not allow my pet ownership to negatively impact others.

One of them spat in his food.

It is not just dogs that are out to get him, you know, it is chefs too.

My dad was (although it was walking to a client’s house, not his main workplace). But that was a big dog that was inside a house but managed to slam into the screen door so hard that it opened, so leashes weren’t involved one way or another.

But that is Universal Dog Language for “Let’s Play.” Dogs seem to never figure out that it’s Universal Skunk Language for “I’m about to spray you,” because they are always bewildered when it happens. People should learn at least a few words in Dog the same way as we have learned a little Spanish to get on with our neighbors. And that one word in Skunk will serve you well.

Oh, and most dogs know that when you crouch and slap both thighs you are saying “Let’s play.” Or is it “Bite my nose?” Either way, you want to play. And get your glasses smeared.

Well, me. This is why I was afraid of dogs in the first place, and once you are afraid of them they are out to get you.

This is why I do everything I can to make my dog not look like any kind of threat to anybody. We went through Canine Good Citizen training, and he passed.

During this training the dog had to pass and be passed by wheelchairs, people in walkers (with tennis balls on them!), skateboards with and without people on them, people with canes, etc. However, one thing they did not cover was people who are scared of dogs–and with good reason. How are you going to get a person scared of dogs to attend a dog training class? I guess someone could act like he was scared, but I think dogs can tell the difference.

(Well actually they did have one person in the class who was kind of afraid of dogs. That would be me…there was an exercise when you traded dogs with somebody and went out of sight of your dog for 3 minutes. It always made me a little nervous to hold somebody else’s dog. There were dogs in that class that I just didn’t want to be that close to.)

They could probably reach out to the community and find people that are trying to overcome their fear of dogs. No, this wouldn’t be a place for someone that’s absolutely terrified of dogs and isn’t interested in being around them, but it would be good for someone that’s nervous around them (and maybe it shows), and also wants to overcome their fear.

FTR, this isn’t something I’ve given a lot of thought to and even just writing it I already see a few issues, for example, I’d wonder if it would be better to have a (people) psychiatrist on site so you don’t end up making things worse for the humans (or the dogs).

I think that if you ( a generic you) are going to come in close proximity to something frequently in life that you are concerned about, it would behoove you to learn something about it. If you live in an area where lots of people have dogs, or you walk in a park that has play areas for dogs than it’s to your own benefit to be able to spot problems before they happen, and not cause problems inadvertently yourself.

We research diets, we research car safety and medicines. We keep tabs on sex offenders and learn the signs of a potential abuser in a mate. Why not do a little study on dogs behavior and language and give ourselves some peace of mind?

And no I’m NOT saying that the dog owner isn’t at fault, they are. But as citizens of a crowded world full of asshats, it’s helpful to have as much knowledge as possible.

A dog straining at the leash is not properly trained.

And, if you’re scared for your life…cross the street or walk somewhere else. Life isn’t always fair, but if you truly think someone or something is going to make you die, isn’t it worth it to go around the block instead of being dead or mauled?

And truthfully, as has been said plenty of times before, most dogs aren’t going to kill or maul you. My dogs aren’t going to kill or maul you. They’re yappy and they’re going to bark as we cross paths, I’m going to pull their leashes in tight to my body and walk a few feet onto the grass to keep them away from you, but that’s it. Why should I spend hundreds of dollars on training to get them to stop one behavior (the barking/pulling) because a few people think it’s scary. How about those people spend hundreds of dollars on therapy to not be scared of dogs?
No, a ‘dog straining at the leash’ is not properly trained. It also doesn’t mean it’s going to tear your face of if it gets loose.

I agree and would do the same. My largest GSD was 100 lbs., well-trained in two languages, and lazy by nature, and would no more have lunged at anyone in passing than I would suddenly strip naked on the curb, but people don’t know this just walking by. I saw a lot of stark terror in those days, not just from kids.

In those days I was very conscious of being the owner of a lethal weapon. It weighed on me some. We were very responsible owners.

Now in the present I’ve acquired a 15-lb. Shih Tzu, elderly, still cute, and very smart. Obedient, no. Hell no. My hat goes off to anyone who can train these things.

A dog currently staining on it’s leash may be in the process of being trained however. Part of properly training a dog is exposing it to unfamiliar places and people.

I could see this issue as a problem if the dog was actually blocking someones path and posses a real risk, but I doubt that’s the case. If the issue is someones precious feelings are hurt by a dog pulling or growling in their direction they can get over themselves. In the US dogs are very prevalent and in over half of all households, you need to learn how to coexist with dogs and their owners. Threatening to shoot them if they look at you funny is a poor way to do that.

Very true. In the same way that it’s hard to teach kids how to behave in a restaurant without actually going out to eat, it’s hard to teach a dog to be polite in public without actually going out in public.

I think that a vicious, poorly trained dog should be kept away from other people at all times, and it WOULD improve the situation immensely.

Dogs aren’t like people. They can’t reason, and should not be treated as if they can.

This sounds like ill trained dogs which is the fault of the owner.

If you are on a walk way and dogs like this on leashes are walking to you and acting wild just stop. Don’t tense up don’t run’ don’t walk towards them…just stop. Pull out the cell phone camera and let them pass. If nothing happens…yay. If something does you have proof.

All the times I’ve done this the dogs smell me as they go by. Owners often stop to talk to me because I’ve stopped and I made more mutt friends.

My mutts were well trained and if we were on a trail and you pull something off your hip and point it at us I’m going to assume you’re a nutcase and react accordingly.

It is not the responsibility of the public to alter it’s behavior so dog owners can point walking weapons at people and then blame them for defending themselves against attack. I’ve owned a dog or two nearly every day of my life and the audacity of blaming people for being afraid of growling lunging animals astounds me.

Raises hand. Yes, a pitbull I had not noticed and couldn’t possibly have given a “vibe” to bit me as I walked by an owner with too long a leash. I would have been within my rights to kill it and send the head off to test for rabies but as my jeans were tight and the teeth unable to get purchase it only caused a long welt on my quickly moving thigh. I had no issue with the animal but the owner was as clueless an idiot as many owners here and if it had bit my child I would have killed it on the spot. Anyone who doesn’t understand self protection against an animal is an unmitigated ass and is next if I percieve them to be the next threat. Often it is cowards who hide behind the bravery of thier animals. I don’t need to.

I don’t understand why some people have taken exception to the OP, who has not issued a blanket statement that all dogs are dangerous and must never be in public. I also don’t understand why some people think it’s okay that their dogs are straining, lunging, and barking aggressively at people. There are many online articles that address this problem, and give tips and advice for the dog owner. As one dog trainer states: “When you’ve got a lunging dog on the other end of the leash, you’ve got a problem that requires your attention. Not every dog owner realizes this …” From dogs lunging aggressively.

However, just as some parents ignore their problem children, allowing them to behave inappropriately in public, so do some dog owners not properly train their dogs. While it may be annoying to have children scrambling around the floors and throwing food at restaurants, it can be scary to be faced with a growling, lunging dog. I don’t think carrying a weapon is the answer though. When it happens to me I do as others have suggested, and slowly and quietly cross to the other side if possible.

Apropos of nothing, I just saw one of the creepiest commercials ever on Youtube, about masses of Doberhuahuas going all nuts and reenacting scenes from The Birds. The OPs head would surely explode if he saw it.

The post carries the stench of madness. Maybe that’s it?

that was shown with the Superbowl, and must have been the lowest rated of all the commercials for the day. It is unsavory and ineffective on so many different levels, the agency must be enjoying a shakeup this morning.

As I recall, the action involves the hideous mix, with huge head and small body trying to attack everything in sight and failing because of their distorted body. Otherwise, they would have caused grievous harm.