Video: 30 wasps kill 30,000 honeybees. Very cool.

Holy shit.

Do you suppose that there is a way to train some wasps to take out the Africanized killer bees that were rampaging through Mexico? It shouldn’t bee too hard…those hornets are friggin’ dominant!

Any of those bees named “Eric”?

I don’t have sound on my PC either, so I don’t know if this information is in the unheard narration, but: what is the size scale here? If those honeybees are what I normally think of as honeybee size, then those hornets are as big as my thumb. That can’t be right… right?

If I can train the wasps to do my bidding, then I shall rule the world.

However, I can’t get Chad & Todd and Bootsie to even return my calls.
So, the coup will have to wait.

Well, there was no shortage of half-bees after the battle… :wink:

I finally heard it with the sound. Cervaise, the narrator says the hornets are five times the size of a honeybee. Depending on the size of your hand, the hornets may well be as big as you fear. I know they’re as big as my thumb!

Googling seems to show these are Asian giant hornets, and beekeepers in Japan are quite familiar with them and must take steps to protect their hives from decimation. Some sort of cage with netting only big enough to let honeybees pass through?

The bees are European Honeybees, a smaller species. The Giant Wasps are five times their size.

Actually, they were all named “Eric”.

Wow. Impressive.

I have to wonder if this was a setup, though. There were cameras all over that beehive (in the entrance, in the comb chamber), so I doubt that a passing naturalist with a half-dozen highspeed cameras saw this and caught a video. Were the wasps led to the hive? The truth must come out!

And by “smaller”, I mean “Smaller than the Giant Honeybees” :smiley: . But the bees in the video are the common type you are used to. Unless you live in Asia, or India or something.

I’m somewhat disturbed by the way this video was made. The hive is clearly the type a bee farmer would use, but with cameras placed inside to film the carnage. So basically the thought behind this was, “Let’s unleash some giant wasps on this bee colony and watch the heads fly!” It’s one thing to set up a hidden camera in the wild to observe predation in a natural habitat, but deliberately forcing the situation seems wrong to me.

Wasps would not discriminate between wild and domestic hives if they have a coup in mind.

In a related comment to my earlier post, if these are European or US honeybees being kept in Asian wasp habitat, the video demonstrates how non-native species who have not had sufficient generations to co-evolve with the wasps (as the native “baking bees” have) are at risk of losing their fight for the ecological niche that the bee farmers put them in. European/American honeybees are easier to manage and produce more honey, but they aren’t very good and defending their turf, at least not in Asia.

“God I love the smell of honey in the morning!”

I have a stupid question.

Are hornets and wasps the same thing?

Talk about your buzz-kill!
Thank you! I’m here all week. Tip your waitress!

:confused: I’m getting an error saying the file is corrupt. Does anyone have another link?

http://cyberbee.msu.edu/biology/ch1/

I wasn’t able to view it. Just the “Windows Media” screen. My computer didn’t prompt me to download anything or notify me that it was missing the necessary software…

The calf-stumbling-into-the-fire-ant-mound-video is worse.

See, I thought that part was hilarious, along with the “crunch!” sound when the bee-heads got bitten off.