Video: 30 wasps kill 30,000 honeybees. Very cool.

Oop, my header was supposed to read, “The ground was thick with severed bee-heads,” but I guess it got bit off by a hornet . . .

Well, I only got audio, with a black screen. It sounded dramatic.

Same here. Is there a way to download the file (which I think is m01_hi.asx) so I can try using another viewer?

Finally watched it.
Now I feel bugs crawling all over me.
I hate those things.

Cite?

Or rather… “Site”?

I hadn’t noticed it before, but in the video, with the innate fuzzyness of their little bodies, the bees look sort of like flying teddy bears.

“CARE BEAR STARE! CARE BEAR ST- Oh, Jesus! Where’s Cheer Bear’s head?!”

No. Wasps (around here) have more black and they are lanky bastards. Long skinny wings and legs.

Woah. :eek:
**Baldwin ** and Johnny L.A., if you go to the link on the left side that says “back”, it will take you to a page where you can view it in RealPlayer (I had the same problem, but saw it on the RP dialup connection).

I believe the “true hornets” are a separate group from bees and wasps (and possibly exclusively Old World, but not sure), but in the States, some critters called “hornets” are actually members of the wasp family, most closely related to yellow jackets. I think the ones in the video were “true hornets.”

brachyrhynchos: Too choppy – even the audio. Streaming video is just useless on a dial-up connection. :frowning:

If there’s no download, I guess I’ll just have to happen upon it on The National Geographic Channel.

For anyone having problems with the streaming presentation, here’s a downloadable version of the video:
http://www.eden.rutgers.edu/~chriseng/m01_hi.wmv (17 MB)

From the backstory, we learn:[ul][li]These are Japanese giant hornets. (Uh, does anyone get visions of atomic radiation, Godzilla, and…???)[/li][li]They are the largest hornets in the world.[/li][li]They have no qualms about attacking other hornets as well.[/li]They kill dozens of people a year.[/ul]Yikes.

Sorry, backstory URL:
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/magazine/pursuit/200301/html/f_article.html

Yeesh. I couldn’t watch after the first thirty seconds. I’m practically crying now. Horrid fucking wasps.

I think they needed to rein in the sound guy a bit. It would’ve been a lot cooler if they’d used real bee noises instead of all the crunching and screaming. All that was missing were explosions and cartoon booooiiiiingg sounds.

I bet they had shot footage of the honeybees lining up all Braveheart style ready to fight one last battle to save their home, and had to be forcibly restrained from editing it in.

Did anyone else think that the bees studied at the James Bond villain school, where you learn to attack your enemy one at a time instead of en masse?

Thanks for the link, Earthling! :slight_smile:

I just read some more from that link and apparently, the wasps were only ‘liberating’ the hive from the evil queen-bee, then they plan on turning soveriegnty back over to the freedom-loving bees around the end of the month. As soon as the honey-pipelines are repaired.

sorry… someone was going to say it sooner or later.

[QUOTE=Earthling]
[li]They kill dozens of people a year.[/list]Yikes.[/li][/QUOTE]
Hopefully not by biting their heads off!!! :eek:

I think the big problem is the bees are just sitting there twiddling their palps, going “BZZZZ, BZZZZ, BZZZ, stay away!” If they had ganged up on the hornets, instead of just sitting there like, well, sitting ducks, the hive might have stood a chance. Some of them obviously did, because the narrator mentioned that they took a few hornets with them–just not enough.