Villains with a point

Superheros were also registered in one Marvel series.

And we are not talking about being locked up, we are talking about registration, and seeing just how dangerous the supe/mutant is.

If Skin? Fine, give him a card and forget about him.

if Cyclops, he needs to belong to a group that has accountability.

If Dark Phoenix- well, getting the Hulk to smash her? I dunno.

RE: Tenet.

Nah, that was one of the things in the movie that was explicit and clear - Sator was dying, and had decided to take the rest of the world with him. That even included his son; there was a conversation in which he admitted to knowing that his son would be a casualty, but he’d fathered him anyway.

As far as we know!

#triassicextinctionwasaninsidejob

Also, Wakanda is the most scientifically advanced, high-tech country in the world – and yet so politically primitive that you can fight a duel for the throne?!

Yeah, I was really hoping M’Baku would win, then turn to the assembly and say, “This is an idiotic way to choose a king!”, turn to T’Challa and say, disdainfully, “Keep your throne. Just know that M’Baku is stronger, and I can take it anytime I want. Be careful how your decisions affect the Jabari Tribe,” and turn and leave with his entourage.

Braveheart is terrible history, but let’s assume everything that happened and how it happened in the movie is reality and judge it just on that.

Edward I Longshanks is a feudal king and has responsibilities far beyond everyone else in the entire movie. Scotland is part of his realm, he aims to keep it under order. His son and heir is a fucktard which means civil war or rebellion is likely the second he dies, many people will die because of his sons inadequacy. The ‘local magistrate’ might be a fucktard, but how would he know? He has pressing issues in France throughout the movie, and everything we see in the movie is just a sideshow of pressure for him. Yelling “FREEDOM!” means fuck all, then and now, HOW do you ensure and protect it Billy Wallace? ‘This country has no sense of itself’ apparently, and warning clans are already fighting even when they’re winning.

He reinstated the ‘prima nocta’ right, that was wrong. We have no way of knowing how many other lords throughout Scotland did it though. Again the only ‘local magistrate’ we saw could just be a fucktard.

He sent the Princess in the hopes she might get killed and get France on his side, that’s just pragmatic.

Throwing Phillip, his sons privy high council, out the window? Yeah, I get that. He was a joke.

However, “Never forget this. Edward Longshanks is the most ruthless king of England.” Says the leprous 16th Earl of Bruce in a movie full of Scots splitting English skulls open with axes.

I think Kiefer Sutherland’s career wound up doing just fine…

but there was scene in middle where his girlfriend (forgot name) fronted about same thing

but you notice there were still some traditional structures like straw huts in midst ; also, having a duel was keeping traditions alive.

Similar to the Mutant Resistance in X-men, Alfred Bester in Babylon 5 is a villain with a pretty strong point. In that series, telepaths are an oppressed minority that was being killed off in a widespread genocide, which was only stopped when Earthgov started segregating them from society. A telepath has to either take telepathy suppressing drugs (which basically sedate you) or be taken from their family and raised by an organization originally dedicated to keeping them passively controlled for the benefit of ‘mundanes’, and as they go through life are required to wear distinguishing garments and badges (like Jews in WW2 Germany).

Bester and others like him have subverted the organization that was supposed to keep them under control and are fighting a war to survive and maintain some degree of self-determination against a huge majority that hates them. He is certainly ruthless and willing to use people (especially mundanes) for his benefit, but if you view the situation not favoring the show’s protagonists, he comes off as a ‘win at all costs’ type like Jack Bauer, not just a simple villain, and while you may dislike him, he certainly has a point.

Cite please? The closest thing I remember to “telepath genocide” in Babylon 5 was what Psicorps themselves were doing: Join us, or we’ll make your life so miserable you’ll wish you were dead.

It’s been a while, but I think part of Bester’s justification for PsiCorps’ control over telepaths was that, if PsiCorp didn’t control telepaths, the normals would rise up and wipe out the telepaths out of self-defense.

He might have said that, he might even have believed it, but I don’t think he ever had any evidence for it. And “let’s do horrible things to people because if we don’t, they’ll be just as horrible to us” isn’t much of a point.

I don’t know if this was ever directly referenced in the show, but in the tie-in novel, Dark Genesis: The Birth of the Psi-Corps it’s established that the revelation of the existence of telepaths lead to widespread social unrest and bloodshed, including anti-telepath pogroms.

I think it is directly referenced in the show that human telepaths face three choices: lifelong indentured servitude to the Psi-Corps, lifelong imprisonment, or a lifelong regimen of psi-blocker drugs, which have severe side-effects including a high risk of suicidal depression.

Human telepaths are definitely an oppressed minority in the Babylon 5 universe. Even the main character good guys don’t seem to be that concerned with how they’re treated until their hands are forced by refugee telepaths coming to Babylon 5 seeking asylum.

First off, Psicorps isn’t the one responsible for creating the system of ‘join us or we’ll make your life so miserable you’ll wish you were dead’. Earthgov created the predecessor organization to psicorps and the laws where telepaths have to choose blocker drugs, blocker drugs plus prison, or joining the organization. It later became Psicorps, and even later the telepaths took it over, but they weren’t the ones who came up with idea and laws for it.

The bulk of the information about the creation of Psi-Corps and the treatment of telepaths is in the first novel of the Psi-Corps trilogy. Early in the book, a medical journal publishes an article showing that telepathy exists, and when the article gets big media attention there are more than a hundred attacks on alleged telepaths within an hour. Then the first part of the book opens with some vignettes of telepaths being murdered (one a kid’s mother trying to escape hunters, another as part of a group being thrown into a mass grave and shot), and on page 31 has a character reference events by saying “How can I feel vindicated by the deaths of more than ten thousand people? The massacre Wednesday in Shanxi? The bombing in Utah? The rioting in Chicago - the spacings in Armstrong?”, then two pages later the other character in the conversation says “People won’t stop killing telepaths - and people they suspect of being telepaths - until they stop feeling threatened by them. That won’t happen without regulation.” (Dark Genesis: Birth of the Psi Corps is the book).

Also there’s the main series plot where a large, influential corporation headed by a man (William Edgars) who is one of the ‘powers behind the throne’ of Earth Alliance develops a virus that will target and kill telepaths unless they receive regular injections of an antidote that they’re also developing. He states that he does so because he believes there will be a war between normal telpaths and that he wants to either control them or wipe them out. He also, just to demonstrate how he feels about them, uses a telepath to scan Garibaldi to see if he’s lying then kills the telepath when they’re done, and uses telepaths as human test subjects for the virus and cure. He even accidentally refers to what he’s doing as the solution to “the telepath problem”, a deliberate reference to the Nazi solution to “the Jewish problem”. (Season IV, episodes 12, 14, 16, and 17)

So even though Cafe Society doesn’t usually do much with cites, there’s a few for you. There’s more that a vaguely remember, but it’s been like 15 years since my last watch of the series so I can’t quickly find specifics. IIRC the treatment of the shadow experiment telepaths stored in pods and some of the stuff around Byron and his death cult provide support for how telepaths are generally treated too.

Just look at the case of the main focus telepath. Lyta saved the station in an early episode by informing them them that they had a sleeper agent on board (Talia Winters) even though she had to come out of hiding with the Mars resistance. Later, she was the only strong human telepath Sheridan had availible to test whether the Shadow ships could be hindered by telepaths, which was very rough for her. She volunteered for a mission to find Sheridan on Zahadum. Then she scanned Ulkesh to find out what the Vorlons were planning, and helped destroy him when they decided to expel the Vorlons. She was then instrumental in ending the Earth Alliance civil war by sending a signal to all of the captured telepaths in the shadow tech ships.

And after saving the station, Sheridan, and what became the ISA multiple times, the main focus characters and the organization that’s supposed to be better than what cam before didn’t treat her like a war hero or even a valuable asset, they just cast her aside and only let her stay on the station as long as she was paying rent. And since she was a rogue telepath, which wasn’t included in the amnesty for the Earth Civil War, and the ISA or station wouldn’t hire her either, she couldn’t get any actual legitimate worth, and eventually had to accept a deal with Bester. That makes it pretty clear how little regard even the main characters have for Telepaths, when they are perfectly willing to use her and cast her aside, while remaining loyal to the non-telepaths who fought with them.

I always thought that was pretty shitty, but then I also always thought that was grossly out of character for Sheridan and was done to trigger the whole horrible Byron storyline which got rushed in when the fifth season got suddenly greenlit after the threat of cancellation.

I never liked the way Lyta was treated. It was shabby, and all I can think is that the other characters were so overwhelmed with the big picture that they forgot about the “little details”. This does not excuse how she was treated, but trying to create a new government from the ground up that works for a multitude of different species is no easy task.

The Byron storyline was not rushed in. JMS had the entire 5 years planned out before the series ever started filming. Originally it was supposed to be Ivanova who got involved with Bryon while she commanded B5. When Christian didn’t sign the contract to continue because she (or her agent? it was weird) wanted more money, she was let go from the show and they brought in Scoggins as the new B5 commander and moved the storyline to Lyta. I expect if Andrea Thompson hadn’t decided to leave the show that she’d have been the one having fun with Robin Atkin Downes.

I should be allowed to “like” a post.

You just did.

The post author has to make a Like button, like this:

0 voters