Vintage Steam Train Toy?

Hey Guys I need a little help here.

When my Dad was a kid, he had a train engine that he would play with. It was a metal train engine and he would pour water in it. The train would heat the water and steam would come out of the smokestack part. He laughs every time he describes this toy, saying he had hours of fun with it pouring water in and watching it steam. It didn’t move, it didn’t do anything except boil water. Obviously not a very kid-safe toy by today’s standards. This was back in the late 40’s early 50’s.

I’ve been looking for this thing (or something similar) for years for my Dad and gave it up as a lost cause. Recently, my Dad brought it up in conversation again and now I’m back on the search. Would love to find one for him for Christmas.

I’ve looked on Etsy, Ebay, vintage train modeling sites, vintage toy sites, and just can’t seem to find anything. There has to be at least one of these old toys left out there in the world somewhere. I’m at the end of my Google-fu, so now I turn to you guys, my favorite experts on everything. Does anyone know where I can find one of these toys?
Thanks guys!

There were Lionel Engines that made steam but those used a pellet or tablet. I never heard of one like you described. I hope someone can find it for you. Sounds interesting.

It might have been a Mamod. They were very popular at that date, in the UK anyway.

I have been to a lot of auctions and only saw one that a fairly rich guy built from a kit. The engine was about 2 feet long and he had like 300 feet of track and it pulled cars that little kids could ride. The setup sold for about $5500 about 12 years ago. Haven’t seen another since.

Holy cow! You guys are GOOD! I hadn’t expected a solution this quick, ,but I think @eburacum_45 has one. I followed the Mamod link and looked around on Ebay and followed that to “Jensen” - which looks more like my Dad described (he said his was all silver, which I forgot to mention). So now I have a direction. THANKS! You guys rock!

Similar to the Mamod models referred to by @eburacum_45. These are models of stationary steam engines, not trains and I wonder if that’s not what your Dad had. There are other manufacturers so removing “train” from your search terms may help. “Model steam engine” works better.

Many of these are kits you assemble and may even require machine tools to make. Caveat Emptor.

ETA: Took too long typing but it looks like you’re on your way.

The ones I’m familiar with used rubbing alcohol as the fuel source.

Yep! I think I’ve been picturing the wrong kind of “engine” in my head all these years. Dad calls it a steam engine and I took that to mean a steam train.
I was just looking on the Jensen site though and it seems like theirs is “dry fuel” - so it could have been a Mamod after all. Still looking, but you guys have me on the right track now - thanks! :slight_smile:

On Netflix there is a show called The Repair Shop from an English channel. They had two related episodes to your interest. One with a toy boat with a boiler and one episode with a tractor??? with a boiler. Both meaningful antiques. I just went looking for the episodes and it looks like Netflix removed that Series/season when it just added some new ones. However, you may be able to track them down online elsewhere. They talked through the mechanisms (one they could get to steam but not move as it was too far gone). and one used to use coal and had been converted to methanol. Both were quite interesting. As with all reality shows, I’d like more action on the rebuild shown than the sobbing backstories, but not a bad show with a similar charm as Great British Bakeoff- easy to fall asleep to!

That would be an interesting watch, but like you I’d prefer more rebuild info and less sobbing backstory.

My YouTube feed gets quite a few restoration videos. A lot of them seem to do old toys including steam engines.

This one restoring a " Mamod Minor 2 steam engine" popped up in my feed recently (although I haven’t watched it):

@disheavel
I love The Repair Shop, it’s amazing to see dedicated craftsman at work. But I agree 100% with & @Fluffy_PickleSniffer , my big criticism of the show is they don’t show nearly enough of what’s involved in the actual restoration process.

I’d love to see more restoration detail instead of their formula: 1) sentimental backstory, 2) List the “challenges” to restore it 3) Someone quietly working away, 4) Restored item revealed & tears of joy.

Even into the mid-late 1960s those toys were available and I and my bro’s had a couple. In addition to the basic boiler, piston, and flywheel rig on a single base plate, there were additional gizmos you could buy and connect, like miniature sawmils, or drills that would be turned by a metallic spring belt.

See here for lots of pix of these things:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wilesco+steam+engine&tbm=isch
They included a steam-powered agricultural tractor and a steam powered pavement roller. But not, IIRC, a railway locomotive.

Late add: The fuel for these was a pellet of some alcohol based substance. I expect it was effectively compressed Sterno. Each pellet looked like an overgrown chiclet, maybe 3/4" x 1/2" x 1/4". Once lit they burned with a flame much like Sterno’s.

That was a fun restore video. I’m going to share it with my Dad and see if this triggers any memories for him. Thanks!

Hey guys! I just wanted to share this from my Dad:

My steam engine was a little different. It plugged into the wall so it was electric. It had a big piston that drove the wheel, kinda like an old type locomotive. It was a neat toy! It would probably take 15 or 20 minutes to heat all the water and run out of steam, but I’d sit and watch it and then do it again!! Probably my all time favorite childhood toy.

Like this? or this?

Search eBay under Electric toy steam engine.

StG