Visiting Canada in early July

Since others are asking for visiting advice, I would like to join in.
My wife and I are planning to visit the US Northeast (Pa., western NY, Vermont, etc) and we would like to come up and relax in eastern Canada for a week or so. I am actually interested in entering Canada near or south of Montreal and then proceeding northeast toward Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. I don’t have any specific places to head toward-the last time I was in Canada was in the early 70s in Sept-Isles Quebec. Nice place. I hear they have extended the road that far now. Back in the day…

So, any suggestions or advice?
Is there any place better or worse to enter Canada? Do I need any documentation besides a US passport?

Should we spend time visiting old Montreal or Quebec? We are both in our 60s and newly retired. This will be our first retirement trip together. :slight_smile:

Once past Montreal, where should we head? I am interested in having a tentative target and enjoying the drive. We are not in a hurry. I don’t want to end up somewhere where I can’t find a motel each evening.

When it finally comes time to head home I need to head west. ( l live in Louisiana). Should I head down to the US immediately or stay in Canada as long as I can? I haven’t been to Maine or Mass since the early 70’s either so it will all be new to us.

My wife and I really enjoyed Quebec City. We were there in the “off season,” however, and the place was pretty empty. Not sure how it is in the Summer.

You don’t need any documentation other than US Passport.

I don’t know enough to answer the rest of your questions.

Early July?! We are celebrating our 150th Canada Day on 1 July, so you may see some of that…naturally Ottawa will have the biggest party, but everywhere will be pretty festive.

The East Coast is so BEAUTIFUL! If you go to Halifax, please head to the Citadel, and maybe tour Alexander Keith’s brewery. It’s not the BEST beer, but the tour is fun. The Bay of Fundy is amazing, and PEI is also so beautiful, with tons to see and do.

Quebec City is prettier than Montreal, and if you have been to the French Quarter, you have seen Old Montreal.

I am moving to Ottawa, and will be there early July, so if you are in the area, let me know.

Thanks all!

If you stay in Canada as long as you can, you’ll be at my place less than a mile off of Highway 61. A lot of lovely country between southern Ontario and here, but not much else other than a lot of lovely country.

There’s a lot of good ideas in this thread for Montreal and Quebec City, and points in between. Once you head east from Quebec City along the Trans Canada Highway, the drive is really beautiful through Quebec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia. The capital of New Brunswick, Fredericton is really pretty with lots of nice restaurants and coffee shops. There is a home-made ice cream store about 15 to 30 minutes outside Fredericton on the way to Moncton (huge sign - can’t miss it). Really good (but admittedly high-priced) ice cream.

Just outside of Moncton are the Hopewell Rocks. If you have a lot of time, try to time your visit to see both a high- and low tide. It is incredible how high they are. At low tide, you can go out on the sea floor and poke around the rock columns the tide has carved.

There is a really scenic drive in Nova Scotia along the Fundy shore. Great hike at “The Three Sisters” and Cape d’Or.

The best part of Nova Scotia is Cape Breton, but that is a long drive, but really worth it. Work your way around the Cabot Trail.

Outside Halifax is Peggy’s Cove. A true Canadian icon. The restaurant there is not a tourist trap, and has a great gingergread cake.

With Nova Scotia, pick a sea shore and explore it. You really can’t go wrong!

On your way through New Brunswick you I recommend stopping at Kouchibouguac and Fundy Parks. If you can only fit one in then go to Kouchi if you are into beaches (a really nice beach) and Fundy if you like hiking trails/waterfalls/kayaking (both in the Fundy bay and in a beautiful lake higher up in the park).

If you hit PEI and are a craft beer enthusiast then I recommend hitting Upstreet brewery. The beaches on PEI are also wonderful with some of the warmest waters north of Florida. If you are able to I recommend taking the ferry from Nova Scotia to PEI and then driving the Confederation Bridge off the island. The ferry is free to the island and the bridge is cheaper than the ferry when leaving. If you do take the ferry and have an appreciation for fine knives you can check out Grohmann Knives in Pictou just before you get to the ferry. Great camping and kitchen utensils.

If you are a fossil lover then the Joggins Fossil Centre is a must stop.

I haven’t spent all that much time in Nova Scotia but I do recommend the Cabot Trail. I did it with a bunch of guys when I was in University and we all had a great time!