Visiting Copenhagen. Recommendations?

Going to Copenhagen for 5 days early May. (Running the marathon there with my baby girl on Sunday the 5th!)

What are must do items we should have on our itinerary?

I’ve had the Danish Museum of Design strongly recommended. I’m assuming a canal tour of the city?

Any ideas? Advice? Advance reservations advised for anything?

(From there it’s Stockholm where my daughter has been working this past year.)

ETA my wife is recovering from surgery so bike ride tours are out and not lots of long walking tours. A museum she can handle.

Folkehuset Absalon. It’s not for everyone. I had to drag Mrs T there kicking and screaming because she hated the idea (I had found it on the webs and was intrigued). You get dumped in the middle of a communal table with people you’ve never met. You have to organise to fetch your own food (no waitstaff). There’s only one thing on the menu. Within ten minutes she was an absolute convert, fetching food, best friends with the young Danes we found ourselves with. It’s an experience. Look it up.

j

Sounds like the kind of place I’d love and get my wife to give a skeptical chance!

How far in advance should we book tickets? (I read we can on line.)

How do you feel about cold-water swimming? I thought the harbor pools were awesome (and free, and a one-of-a-kind cultural experience), but it’s definitely chilly.

Not in the realm I could get my wife to skeptically do. My daughter would though. She did polar swim in Vermont winter to give it a try!

I liked the old-timey Tivoli Gardens amusement park (175 years old, inspired Disney, one truly scary ride), walking around Nyhavn, renting a bike and cycling around the Harbour Ring, seeing the Islands and the “hippie village” whose name eludes me. Some of the castles and museums were nice but often much of a muchness and not particularly memorable (lots of royal portraits and fancy furnishings). I liked the food, but some of it was overrated and pricey. The nightclubs were fun with lots of friendly and educated people. The canal tour was pleasant. I went to Malmö too, but found this nothing special. I understand some of these ideas are unsuitable for your wife. I have only been there once and am not remotely an expert on the place. Enjoy your marathon!

Don’t know. We had a running battle over this one. At the time we were there (five or six years ago) there were a very limited number of “on the night” tickets and we ended up getting them. We happened to be there on vegetarian night, which I think is fairly frequent. They also have a small bar in the corner where you can buy a beer or whatever.

j

If you have extra time the Viking ships are in Roskilde nearby.