Visiting New York In December, need advice

I tried desperately to post last night but my ol’ ‘puter just wasn’t havin’ it.

I see Billdo has already seen the thread, but I would ask if he has any good suggestions for a night on the town, as it were.

I think of you stick to the main areas of the city, (where all the tourist happens to be as well) you should be fine.

Do the same thing you would do in any other big city, watch your pockets, stay alert, and if you feel unsafe, move to where more people are. (unless they are rioting)

So where are your favorite places to eat out? Where would you take a relative if they were visiting from out of town? I want to avoid overpriced touristy places like the Carnegie Deli and enjoy some lesser known gems.

Best deli in the city?

Best pizza place?

Best steak?

I plan to do some serious eating guys, so your recommendations would be highly appreciated.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Bibliovore *
Best deli in the city?

If you like sushi or thai, I would suggest “Planet Thai” in Williamsburg Brooklyn. You can take an “L” train to the Bedford avenue stop. The place is at 124 north 6th street, which is about a 1 minute walk from the train. Great food, nice and cheap, although I wouldn’t eat their by myself, it’s much better if you go with people.

If you like Indian food, I would suggest 2nd Avenue and around 4th or 5th street (Manhattan). Not so much for the food, (although it is quite tasty), but for the decor. The places are filled with enough christmas lights (usually burning red and blinking) to reblind Ray Charles.

Little help? Any mod, thanks.

Thanks again.

Now is anyone up for the aforementioned “mini-dope”? Good food is all very well, but good company would make the trip just about perfect!

I’ll just fix it myself, grammer too.

Sorry hamsters.

If you like pastrami, hit the Second ave Deli

Nino’s Pizza on Avenue A and St. Marks in the east village is good.

Peter Lugers in Williamsburg Brooklyn is world famous, but world famous for price as well.

I would hit Tad’s steaks in Times Square, it’s a NY institution. You get food the way it should be, a huge greasy hunk of steak, and (literally) a leaf or two of lettuce on the side for all you health nuts. :smiley:

You won’t find much better.

If you like sushi or thai, I would suggest “Planet Thai” in Williamsburg Brooklyn. You can take an “L” train to the Bedford avenue stop. It’s the first stop in Brooklyn, so it’s not far at all. The place is at 124 north 6th street, which is about a 1 minute walk from the train. Great food, nice and cheap, although I wouldn’t eat there by myself, it’s much better if you go with people.

If you like Indian food, I would suggest 2nd Avenue and around 4th or 5th street (Manhattan). Not so much for the food, (although it is quite tasty), but for the decor. The places are filled with enough christmas lights (usually burning red and blinking) to reblind Ray Charles.

I second (hah hah!) the recommendation for the Second Avenue Deli. Just keep in mind that it’s a kosher meat deli, so you will not get any actual cream with your coffee.

If you want to try a kosher dairy restaurant, try Ratner’s on the Lower East Side. Best cheese blintzes on Earth! (Except for my grandmother’s, of course.)

But if you want both meat and dairy at the same time, you could do much worse than Veselka on 2nd Ave.; it’s primarily a Ukrainian place, but they have a lot of the Ashkenazic classics.

You will also find at least as many favorite pizza places as there are New Yorkers. NY-style pizza is very different than Chicago-style, although each has its proponents. My dad swears pizza isn’t really pizza unless it has crust so thin you can fold it in half lengthwise, so the grease can run down the middle in rivulets. If you want thicker crust, ask for a “Sicilian” (they are square, thicker slices).

(Of course, unless you like Italian girls, you may want to be careful with your pronouns when ordering; once in college, I was proclaiming to a friend in the dorm elevator that I really had a craving for a Sicilian, upon which the guy standing behind me announced that due to his ethnic heritage, he might be of assistance.)

Hmmm, I may need to go for a cheese blintz myself.

NYC in December. There are B’way shows galore including the ‘Christmas Spectacular’ with the Rockettes and ‘A Christmas Carol’ (in its last year, sadly). Your hotel Concierge may be able to arrange for you to have tickets waiting for you if you ask beforehand.

Dress Warm for that ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty. Its always 5 degrees colder on the water.

Observation Deck of the Empire State Building is open til Midnight…and don’t let anyone tell you the skyline looks the same in sunlight as it does in the dark.

There’s the Spirit of NY Dinner cruise (it circles Manhattan)

Restaurants are in abundance, but I’d suggest Zagats or Vindigo’s recommedations for ‘The Best’.

I like the The Palm Steakhouse. Of course be prepared to drop at least $50 a person.

You’ll have to try one of the ‘Famous Ray’ or is it ‘Ray’s Famous’. Get a regular slice. (a cheese slice) from the window and walk down the street eating it with ‘Staying Alive’ running through your head.

I think we should dopefest at the Bowlmor Lanes. Or the NY Public Library, which ever.

NYC in December. There are B’way shows galore including the ‘Christmas Spectacular’ with the Rockettes and ‘A Christmas Carol’ (in its last year, sadly). Your hotel Concierge may be able to arrange for you to have tickets waiting for you if you ask beforehand.

Dress Warm for that ferry ride to the Statue of Liberty. Its always 5 degrees colder on the water.

Observation Deck of the Empire State Building is open til Midnight…and don’t let anyone tell you the skyline looks the same in sunlight as it does in the dark.

There’s the Spirit of NY Dinner cruise (it circles Manhattan)

Restaurants are in abundance, but I’d suggest Zagats or Vindigo’s recommedations for ‘The Best’.

A personal plug, but you can’t get any better than New York City Gay Men’s Chorus Holiday Concert on Friday, the 12th.

I don’t think anyone answered this yet? No, no baseball in Yankee Stadium until the spring. The World Series is the end of the season.

Yeah, I kinda figured. I was just hoping that there might be exhibition games or friendlies or something.

I any case, I’ve pretty much made up my mind about what i want to see now, thanks to all your great advice and links. The only remaining question is accomodation. Can anyone recommend a cheap(ish) but clean place to stay for about a week? I’m not looking for anything extravangant, just a single room, some clean sheets and a bed to rest my weary head on at night…

I caught the Petra exhibit at the Museum of Natural History yesterday, and it will be running in December. It’s pricey, but pretty amazing, and you get admission to the Museum included.

As to accomodations, I’d look for hotels located out of midtown but near subway stations in the outer boroughs. I pass a Best Western near the Queens approach to the midtown tunnel (in walking distance of the Queens MOMA, btw) that can’t be too pricey, and is near the 7 train that gets into Manhattan in under 10 minutes.