Vocational/Trade Training Program for Young Man

ABSOLUTELY have him check out Job Corps! I am still kicking myself for not doing that, but thought I’d get to college. Didn’t realize how expensive that was gonna be, ugh.

Seriously, Job Corps. Start there.

The Apprenticeship Program from the NY department of labor and a list of apprenticeship opportunities.

I found that through a web search, I know nothing about whether the programs are any good or not, but it’s an idea.

A short term option is to consider is Americorps NCCC. It’s a 10 month, intensive, residential, service program. There is a small stipend (~$400/mo) room/board provided, and at the conclusion of service you get $5,500 grant to be used for education. You can use the grant for training programs or college.

It’s a lot less committment than the military, but it still has the “away from home in a focused environment” aspect.

My advice/observations:

Be prepared to make fairly low money up front. While there are plum $20+/hr jobs that sometimes crop up, most are not.

However…if he has stamina, determination a solid work ethic and some aptitude, he can develop a solid middle income over 4-10 years.

He should see his vocational training as a surrogate for college. Unlike college he’s earning a wage. Like college, he’s learning his skills. (while on the job) The point is: he should see this as a 4-6 year process where his skills and earnings increase. I can’t tell you how many young people leave the trade “because I was only making $8.75/hr” and you bump into them 5 years later and they’re making $9.50 at auto zone.

Do not----I said DO NOT------attend a “for-profit” school. There are tons of them; Kaplan, Everest, ITT, Fortis, National and hundreds of others. Do not. Do not. If you read nothing else: Do not attend a for profit school. PBS has a documentary on them on “Frontline.” Watch it. Many public school systems that train HSchoolers trades offer a night adult program. Community colleges often do. It’s a superior program for 1/3 the cost.

There are a handful of places where Unions are dominant, like NYC or Chicago. Most everywhere else, they are not. They provide their own training and it’s generally very good. The pay can be good. Benefits can be good. But unions are a small percentage of the work force and it can be difficult to get into the union. And…you may be laid off or “on the bench” a fair amount.

Join the army and enlist for one of the more useful specialities, such as a construction engineer.

How shortly is he graduating? Like is he just now starting his senior year? He should definitely take the ASVAB as a senior. If he gets a high score, the recruiters will be ringing his phone off the hook (happened to a college-bound friend of mine who didn’t really want to go into the military, she was just curious about the test).