Vote to keep or get rid of BBQ pit

<form method=“get” action=“http://apps3.vantagenet.com/zpolls/count.asp” id=form1 name=form1>
<table width=“123” cellpadding= “4” cellspacing=“0” border=“1”>
<tr><td bgcolor="#3366CC" ><center><font size=“2” color="#ffffff" face=“Verdana” >Extinguish BBQ Pit?</font>
</center></td></tr><tr><td bgcolor="#F4E6A1" ><input type=“hidden” name=“ptype” value=“0”><input type=“hidden” name=“rlt” value=“9111015955”><input type=“hidden” name=“id” value=“9111015955”>
<font color="#000000" size= “1” face=“Verdana” >Should the SDMB get rid of the BBQ pit?</font>
<table border=“0”>
<tr><td valign=“top”><input type=“radio” name=“poll” value=“1”></td><td valign=“top”><font size=“1” color="#000000" face=“Verdana” >Yes</font></td></tr>
<tr><td valign=“top”><input type=“radio” name=“poll” value=“2”></td><td valign=“top”><font size=“1” color="#000000" face=“Verdana” >No</font></td></tr>
</table>
<center><input type=“submit” value=“Vote!” id= & sq & 1 name= & sq & 1>
<font size=“1” color="#000000" face=“Verdana” ><a href=“http://apps3.vantagenet.com/zpolls/count.asp?rlt=9111015955&id=9111015955”>Results</a></font></center>
</td></tr></table></form>

Wait a minute here.

When did you get the idea that this is a matter that you have a vote on in the first place?

Do you go to AOL and vote on policy? Does Steve Case abide by your wishes?

Are you routinely asked your opinion on business matters on other websites?

Do other companies run their sites at your dictate?

What makes you think you have the right to call policy here?

We want your input – we want to know what you think and how you use the site, sure we do – but this is not the Straight Dope Democracy, it’s a commercial site and it’s run as the Chicago Reader sees fit.

Until you work for the Reader in a sufficient place of responsibility and oversight of this place, sorry, you do not have a vote.

I’m crossposting this notice in the other threads – so don’t think you’re seeing duplicates.

your humble TubaDiva/SDStaffDiv
for the Straight Dope

Tuba, I think your taking this a bit too seriously. No one is under the presumption that this is a democracy, nor does anyone believe that their vote holds legitimate weight. A “vote” however is kinda fun, and pools everyones ideas on the topic. I don’t understand why the SD Staff is getting so upset about some critisism that is neither inflamitory, or baseless. Its no more than a sharing and expressing of opinions. I would compare it to USA Today polls, ESPN polls, or any other poll where the viewers choose to vote on a topic which they are aware has no pertinence beyond sharing their small opinion on the matter. I suppose a landslide vote saying that the topic is flawed may even be useful to the site as a way of improving it. IIRC, a vote of sorts was conducted in various forums conserning the creation of the Great Debates section. That was a positive thing IMHO. And the motivation for stifling the “vote” is not clear to me. What exactly do you find so vexing about us voting about the issue?

For the record, I like things the way they are.

I’m in the mood for some bbq’d hamburgers!

Businesses often pay lots of money to poll their customers on what they like and don’t like about the product . . . .

-Melin

I think its a good idea,keeping it. Maybe we can have a flowers section,for those who only want to say nice and beautiful things to the others!

I like the little vote box thing, though. That’s kind of neat.

If we get over 2000 votes, we should pay attention. Though there’s no way to get rid of duplicates, is there? Somebody could stuff the ballot box.
Jill

Hey, this is Chicago, I expect the dead to rise and vote!

your humble TubaDiva
vote early and often

And let’s not forget the unborn, they should have a vote, too.

BTW, Melin comments that taking a poll of customers is a common business practice. Yes, but they tend to make sure that the poll is reasonably random (at the very least, they would discount any poll where people can vote multiple times.)

Tuba, always glad to see evidence for the resurrection! :wink: If you end up with more votes than members, remember that you do work for the Chicago Reader!

Seriously, were it not for the natives getting restless (C#3, MajorMD, etc.), you probably would not have a problem with a poll, which would at least give you some idea of what is liked/disliked without reading several hundred posts of “I agree” “Well, I don’t” “The heck with you, I do, and here’s a few hundred carefully chosen words why.” Think about using Louie’s services to get feedback; I’m sure he wasn’t out to start the Cecilian Revolution!

Very true, Dex, and I don’t disagree, but Jenny was arguing with the existence of the poll, not its methodology. On my honor I solemnly swear that I voted only once, in favor of keeping the Pit, but as others have noted there is a Chicago admonition to “vote early, vote often.” :wink:

Too bad there isn’t a way to allow one vote per screen name – which still leaves a few problems, but I doubt manny peoples would go to the bother of creating a new SN just to vote more than once in a non-binding, advisory poll.

-Melin

Er, it seems to be limited to one vote per screen name. I just tried to do a duplicate vote and got that someone with that ID had already voted. Of course if anyone cared enough, they could create bunches and bunches of screen names…

Actually, the poll-creation site that Louie used (freepolls.com if anyone wants to check it out–it’s not the best poll site I’ve seen, but it’s not bad) doesn’t accept multiple votes on the same poll. I believe it’s based on IP addresses, but don’t quote me on that.

Your Official Cat Goddess since 10/20/99.

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi

Truer words were never written.

Felt attacked, lost perspective . … blew my cool.

your humble TubaDiva
:: sigh ::

…which is exactly why I put up the poll. I guess I should of put this in that thread instead of starting a new one. I’m sorry if it seemed like “a Cecilian Revolution”, it wasn’t suppose to be like that.

Sorry for the commotion. :o

note to self - never post anything after 10 in the night ever again

You know the last time I visited the pit?
Months ago. Now I’m gonna have to poke down there and see what the big bro-ha-ha is about.
Wasn’t the painting “September Morn” marketed in a similar fashion?

Kick-ass applet, Louie.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

Chicago mantra: Vote early and vote often.

Old Broad: Chicago mantra: Vote early and vote often.

And vote even after you’re dead :wink:

It is too clear, and so it is hard to see.