Voter Machine Fraud Starting Already

FWIW, I voted today and we had a very similar type of machine there. It displayed all of the choices I made on the screen, I hit “print results”, and then it displayed the printout with my choices selected.

http://wvgazette.com/News/200810180251
Nope, no pattern, nothing to see here at all it’s just a tempest in a teapot…:rolleyes:

[quote=“Sage_Rat, post:21, topic:468587”]

I mean, for any level of needed security and redundancy, you can always get precisely that, regardless of whether you are using human or computer labor. Historically speaking, though, compromising humans is easier than computers.

[QUOTE]
Exactly true. I do not understand the distrust of voting machines. We trust computers to do bank transactions and stock exchange transactions worth billions and trillions and someone compromising that could make himself very rich. And yet we do not trust an election recount? That’s just silly. The (hardware and software) technology to implement vote counts with any degree of security neeed exists and is not terribly complex. All you need is a system which is open and verifiable by all parties involved.

That this is not being done correctly speaks of the politics and the human element involved but does not mean the technology to do it is not there and ready.

It would be extremely easy to have everybody vote by internet to a central place and have the results be guaranteed. It could be made much safer than having the results counted at the local level.

This is just link in the whole mess that are elections in the USA. Another is the whole issue of voter rolls and who is or is not authorized to vote. It is an inexcusable mess which would shame any third world country.

Only if the problem with a machine is noticed prior to e-day, as it was in some WV precincts. It might not be, in all of them, and the fact that all the errors so far detected run in the Pubs’ favor makes this one Teapot Dome of a tempest.

Maybe it’s just me, but I think that there should be some onus on the voter to ensure that their votes are showing as what they what they selected. Which people are apparently doing, and they’re making the poll workers aware of the problem, and the problem is being fixed.

Y’know, there are a lot of honest people all over this country doing hard work every day to ensure that the elections are fairly conducted, and I for one am getting sick and tired of seeing them demonized as only out to make their party the winner.

Voting errors occur everywhere, believe it or not, it’s what happens when we have a system created by humans, and administered by humans. All that can be done is to minimize those errors, and it sounds to me like they’re trying their best.

But the fact that there is a problem occurring often enough for a story, and that it’s always in the Republican’s favor, is awfully suspicious, don’t you think?

:dubious: It’s Diebold and suchlike e-voting machine companies who are being demonized here, and based on what we’ve seen to date they are not honest.

It’s worth keeping an eye on, certainly. But we’ve got - what? - six reports from two counties? That’s not much of a sample.

And, as a programmer who writes systems that people use every single day and they still screw up, the concept of user error is not totally foreign to me either.

And, lastly, the later article that askeptic quoted states that voters have a choice: touch-screen or optical scan. If they don’t trust the touch screen, don’t use it.

Unless there is actual evidence of malice, as there was in Florida in 2000, my default assumption is going to be that shit happens. Minimize it, fix it, avoid it - as much as is humanly possible - but don’t assume that just because there are mistakes and accidents that they are caused by evil.

That’s four years old. We all bitched about the lack of a paper trail; we’ve now got one. The screens show the vote, giving you the opportunity to correct or complain if they’re not working right. The screens review your casted ballot, giving you the opportunity to correct or complain if they’re not working right, before you finalize your vote. The paper trail shows in a window beside the screen, giving you the opportunity to correct or complain if they’re not working right, before you finalize your vote.

What do you want, voting-eye dogs?

Has Diebold ever put out a machine that is verifiable and error-free? Every single article I have read on the topic (up to and including a couple months ago) says no. I’m constantly reading about the security vulnerabilities, or even as recently as August 2008 when they admitted they had a bug that had been dropping votes for a long time.

It’s not that they are evil, but it’s not a simple problem to solve. The more robust you need the solution the more time and money is required to get it to that point, especially when software is involved.

I presume their ATMs usually work OK. The banks would have complained.

Ed

Which makes it especially puzzling that their voting machines are so buggy… The hard parts of making a good voting machine are shared by good ATMs. So if they’re competent enough to make good ATMs, why aren’t they competent enough to make good voting machines?

Unless it’s a matter of something other than competence?

Back when I worked at a bank in the late 1990s, Diebold ATMs had a reputation for high quality. I think that if they wanted they could make a reliable voting machine.

I should have said “voting machine” as that is what I really meant.

Yes, and that great supervisor of elections (who I love too!) was featured in Hacking Democracy. They showed the undetectable tally (heh!) problem on voting machines that tally our votes in this county. Where you and I live. Ion Sancho was flabbergasted.

Like the poster above said, it’s about the most depressing movie ever.

And more . . .

Mark Crispin Miller’s book: Loser Take All: Election Fraud and the Subversion of Democracy, 2000-2008

this guy is a professor of computer science at Johns Hopkins Univ, and favors paper ballot w/electronic scan. His blog is a good read.

http://www.math.uic.edu/~jbaldwin/pub/vote3.pdf This is a mathematical analysis pointing out our problems. After vote polling has shown to be very accurate. The UN relies on them to determine if an election is fixed. It only fails in America. The mathematicians who set the system up in 2004 said it was near impossible to have the wrong numbers again. Yet, they do not follow. That is what caused so many to question whether the voting machines themselves are giving out bad results. Since then many have found stories about programming and counting problems. .

It’s nice to know that our democratic rights are easily minimized and trivialized by others. :rolleyes:

open source software, open to all of America to read through, look over, and modify in millions of ways. I think this was suggested up thread but why would this cost so much money? the reason its expensive is because they are doing all the work in house.