[QUOTE=Quiddity Glomfuster]
You can’t grok that because your brain works ok. Go find some books by people who have suffered mental illnesses. They’ll shock you with the things they fully believed when they were ill.
<snip>
He wasn’t ‘evil’. He just had a seriously broken brain.
[/QUOTE]
First off, Quiddity, a little background: My brain is FUBAR. I’m a mental health consumer of long standing, and can’t get a job because of it. Don’t tell me to read up on mental illness. At least not in a general sense, if you have a specific point to make, or a specific argument you wish to point out to me, that’s one thing. Do not assume I’m uneducated, unaware, and ignorant of mental illness issues.
Second, I’m not saying his brain wasn’t broken. I’m saying that he chose to respond to his broken brain, his anger, and delusions by deliberately trying to kill vast numbers of general oppressors - knowing that he wasn’t going to actually reach the heart of any of the conspiracies against him. IOW, he chose to kill people who were easy targets, not the ones responsible (in his mind) for his problems.
Or to put it another way, he chose to react by killing random people who may or may not have offended him. Even if one accepts the delusions put forth in his manifesto, his response is not that of someone reacting to a threat - it’s a fucking tantrum.
That he killed isn’t what makes his actions evil, in my mind. It’s how he chose his victims that make them evil. And, again, the impression I have from his manifesto, is that even though he was highly delusional, he still met the legal standard for accountability for his actions in being able to recognize that what he was going to do was wrong.
Queen Bruin, I’m not trying to say that evil is anything but a description of his actions, at this point. But to deny that ‘evil’ (Or if you insist on a more technical term: sociopathy, sadism, or the like.) can be a potential explaination is likewise limiting, I think. I also would need some strong evidence to accept that what happened at VT this week was the result of a ‘social ill’ rather than a single person’s insane reaction to a situation.