Wait - - who is Anonymous and why are they fucking with epileptics?

Uh, yeah. The non-basement-dwelling world first became aware of Anonymous’ existence when they DDOSed the CoS’s website. So why is the notion that certain members of the “group” would pull a stupid, juvenile, and potentially harmful prank against somebody else so unbelievable, again?

Perhaps you’re unaware of the fact that the “Church” of Scientology has effectively been at war with the Internet for more than a decade, ever since the posting of the Fishman Affidavit. They have even managed to intimidate Google into removing material from search results.

This is not a new war, these are merely new combatants.

I have to say, my first thought was that this sounds like the CoS- they’ve got a long-term grudge against modern psychiatric treatment, a new grudge against Anonymous, and it would be in character for them to do something like this, what with the “Fair Game” doctrine and all. But since there’s zero evidence of any actual CoS connection, I’d suggest that we tone that down a little.

Right. As I said, the only reason that this is not a case of Anonymous acting like Anonymous is that there is a nonzero chance it could be Scientologists, as it fits their MO.

But it’s more probably just Anonymous.

“All these planets are yours, except Europa”?

I haven’t read the book recently - that’s all I remember.

There appears to be little to no evidence that it was anyone connected to Anonymous, also.

The story mentions “references to Ebaumsworld” as “circumstantial evidence”.

Anyone who refers to that as “evidence”, circumstantial or not, really ought to go back to journalism school.

The second sentence. “Attempt no landings there.” (And it’s actually “All these worlds are yours, except Europa.”) There’s a whole internet out there, so why bother with the idiots?

Homer: Yeah…! Think about it!

Aside from the total lack of evidence or any other reason to believe it’s CoS, you mean? As much as I dislike Scientology, I have no trouble believing that the kind of people who would hack into the CoS site would also do this. Anonymous sounds like an enormous group of people, with some trying to fight for a cause, and others just malicious dicks. You can believe that the people involved in the CoS fight have a noble cause, but I think it’s pretty similar to the malicious dicks.

Remember: the enemy of my enemy can also be an asshole.

The whole episode reminds me of the theme of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

I thought what I’d do was, I’d pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.