Waitaminit, it's a Mockbuster! Curse you, Asylum, you fooled me again!

If anyone’s interested, here’s Chris Sims review of Almighty Thor from Comics Alliance.com.

And his significantly more positive review of Sherlock Holmes.

Worth checking out, if only for the animated gif of Thor punching lava until it turns into a hammer.

Asylum: the carob of motion picture studios.

Quite true. And I quite enjoyed the movie; kind of a steampunk vibe.

Just looked at his Web site. His review of Transmorphers was pretty funny.

I had no idea people were ever actually fooled by these. I mean, if a movie is famous, I know its actual title, at least one actor who is in it, and generally have already seen the boxart.

I’ve never actually watched an Asylum title, but I have watched reviews of them on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com. A particular reviewer seems to watch all of them. My favorite so far is his review of Sunday School Musical. (Skip to 3:50 for the review proper. It’s a crossover so he has a guest that he has to make fun of.)

And when I say review, I mean they make riff on the movie.

I like Matthew Buck, by the way. He has really improved in his reviewing capabilities over the last couple years. His review of “Bear” is hilarious.

“The Bear knows!!!”

It looks like that Asylum is already at work on Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies.

I’m right there with you. The only way I can imagine someone even remotely being taken in is if they had no idea this concept existed.

But then again I also check every recent-ish movie I rent to make sure I’m not getting a crappy pan and scan version, so maybe I’m more observant of this kind of crap than the average viewer. And my friends and I are the kind that will often seek out outrageously bad movies for fun, so I often know about them in advance.

I don’t see why it’s so strange to be fooled, especially with the way we watch things these days.

In the case of Battle of Los Angeles, I was channel surfing, and came upon a promo: “Next! Battle of Los Angeles.” So I started watching it. Where exactly am I going to get the information that it’s not Battle: Los Angeles until I actually start watching it?

And in the case of Almighty Thor, I was looking up on Netflix on my mobile. Pretty much all you see is the name of the movie, the year and a tiny picture. So I punched the screen and didn’t discover it was different until the movie actually started.

I actually consider myself a fairly sophisticated movie viewer, compared to a lot of people so if these situations got me, then I suspect that there are a lot more people who are potentially fooled. Most people I talk to couldn’t come up with names of actors to save their lives and same with movie titles.

I also think a big part of their market is grandparents buying Christmas gifts.
“Here’s that Transmorphers movie I know you wanted!”

That’s how my brother-in-law ended up with a Mandy Patinkin album instead of Monty Python.

I’ve tried to steer clear of the Asylum’s crap, but I thought I might check out that one with [del]Debbie[/del] Deborah Gibson that has the big shark vs. giant octopus.

Is she gratuitously nude? Because that could total up as a pretty good movie.

Unfortunately not. You will, however, see a shark attack that is so preposterous that you’ll be chortling for ten minutes. :wink:

To be fair, the horrible Hulk/Thor movie did contain this exchange.
-Evil Government Guys pounding on door, looking for Puny Banner-

-Thor answers door, wearing only a towel and holding a pitcher of beer. Evil Government Guys are intimidated by his non-puny-ness-

Thor: What do you want?

EGG: “We’re looking for a man.”

Thor: “Well, then you have found one!

EGG: “No . . . we’re looking for a particular man . . .”

Thor: “I am a perticular man. I AM PARTICULAR ABOUT HAVING MY LEISURE DISTURBED.
I won’t say that justifies WATCHING it, but I’d say that justifies it’s existence.

Thor, to guys, what 6’2" 120 lb models are to women. You know it’s insane to judge yourself by those standards, but you feel vaguely ashamed about not measuring up.

No, that justifies watching it, too.