Waking up with numb arm - is it harmful?

About 4-5 mornings per week I wake up with one (sometimes both) of my arms asleep/numb. Usually it’s because I sleep on my stomach with my arm under the pillow and it cuts off the circulation. Once I realize my arm is numb, I reposition and wait for it to regain function.
The fun part is when both arms are numb - ya gotta flop around to reposition. :smack:

Can it cause any long term problems?

IANAD but I have the same thing happen. Both arms is scary. Body parts falling asleep are almost never a problem with long-term damage. Nerves just shut down when circulation is restricted although the tissues still have enough to be fine. Almost everybody has limbs fall asleep at some point.

[QUOTE=Shagnasty]
Nerves just shut down when circulation is restricted although the tissues still have enough to be fine. Almost everybody has limbs fall asleep at some point.
[/QUOTE]

But you’re not cutting off circulation. All you’re doing is pinching a key nerve or two for a long period of time, cutting off sensation. It’s the same thing as ‘pis and needles’/you’re foot falling asleep, but for a whole limb, and odds are for a longer period of time, cause who knows how long you might have been sleeping on it.

Ah yes, the joys of waking up with “meat hand.” :slight_smile:

You call it “meat” hand? Care to explain?

I know it happens to other people - my only reason for concern was because it’s nearly every day.

[QUOTE=Mrs Johnson]
You call it “meat” hand? Care to explain?

I know it happens to other people - my only reason for concern was because it’s nearly every day.
[/QUOTE]

I think “meat” hand means it feels like a disembodied slab of meat. This happens to me 3-4 nights a week for a few weeks, then I can go 2 months without it happening at all, then it happens again. It’s a little scary because not only can I not detect any sense of touch with that arm, but it’s cold. It’s like having a cadaver arm laying across your chest.

[QUOTE=Mrs Johnson]
You call it “meat” hand? Care to explain?
[/QUOTE]

Because when you wake up with your arm totally numb, you hand feels like a piece of meat when you try to use it or when it touches another part of your body.

You can always have it amputated…

(Obscure reference)

[QUOTE=MostlyClueless]
You can always have it amputated…

(Obscure reference)
[/QUOTE]

I was going to use that “House” reference. You beat me to it.

[QUOTE=McNew]
I think “meat” hand means it feels like a disembodied slab of meat. This happens to me 3-4 nights a week for a few weeks, then I can go 2 months without it happening at all, then it happens again. It’s a little scary because not only can I not detect any sense of touch with that arm, but it’s cold. It’s like having a cadaver arm laying across your chest.
[/QUOTE]

I used to get this all the time until I changed my sleeping position. The position I was in when I fell asleep seeming to make a differenece. I haven’t had this for years.

At least is buys you enough time for a “stranger.” :stuck_out_tongue: