Walter Payton's kid

Jarrett Payton, Walter’s son, made his first start as a second year senior for the Hurricanes on Saturday…

97 rushing yards and a recieving touchdown- not bad for a first start.

Anyone think he’ll make the NFL? And does anyone think he’ll ever be out of Pops’ shadow if he does…?

I don’t think he’s that good of a back. He isn’t projected to be drafted very high, but he does have decent size. Not sure about his speed.

As for the NFL, I don’t think he would have trouble. Most people playing now probably don’t even remember his father. I can, just barely, and I’m old.

Miami running back = guarantees NFL draft /roster spot.

His father had grit beyond what most RBs have, so-so talent, and not the cut of all purpose type RBs of today.

The kids needs to:

• match the heart of his father
  • develop skills that his dad never had to survive today’s NFL (more passing means RB needs higher receiving skills and pass blocking skills. More blitzing means pass blocking skills are magnified)
  • and he needs to continue to be humble about anything he achieves.

He probably won’t make it in the NFL. He would more likely be a CFL or USFL level player. However, I would be willing to bet my entire bank account that the Chicago Bears spend either a 6th or 7th late round pick or sign him as an undrafted free agent just for the publicity/good will.

For a next-generation hall of famer more likely to make it, look to Payton’s teammate Kellen Winslow Jr. If you’re looking for someone already on an NFL roster, there’s Tampa Bay Bucs linebacker Ryan Nece, son of Hall of Famer Ronniee Lott.

I agree with bri1600bv about Payton’s skills, but I don’t think he’d ever be out of his father’s shadow, especially if Mullinator’s right about the Bears picking him up.

This right here says all you need to know about his skill level.

I predict he makes the NFL, but never gets out of the shadow of dad. Look for him warming a bench in a city near you!

P.S. - I hate all those florida teams. :slight_smile:

You obviously know next to nothing about Walter Payton and his athletic/football skills.

Saying he had “so-so” talent is ludicrous.

Simple as that.

Payton was the 3rd string quarterback for the Bears and actually played quarterback for the better part of one game when the Bears 1st and 2nd stringers were knocked out.

He could kick 50 yard field goals routinely and would do so in practice.

He could drop-kick 60+ yard field goals, something that hasn’t been done in the league in over 40 years.

He had astonishing arm strength and was very accurate when passing the ball.

He was consistently noted throughout his career not just as the best blocking running back, but one of the most punishing blockiers as well.

He was a more then decent pass receiver.

The fact that he spent a good part of his career behind an average to subpar offensive line meant that more often then not he had to fight for yardage by himself.

He was known league-wide for having a vicious but quite legal, stiff-arm.
The only back in the NFL today that even comes close to Payton is Emmitt Smith, and that is only talking about the Emmitt of 4-5 years ago.

No other running back currently in the league is even close.

I think his prospects will be largely determined by the game between Miami (still #2) and Virginia Tech (now #3) on Nov. 1. VERY high-profile game, yada yada yada. But now that he’s got confidence, I think he’s going to have a big game. (And he’d better, or Miami’s gonna have trouble!)

The greatest shortcoming of Jarrett Payton’s career at Miami wasn’t waiting his turn behind one or two to-be first-round draft picks (heck, they all have to do that at Miami, heh heh), but the injuries he had during those years. Once you acquire that reputation of “fragility,” forget it.

Here’s the rundown on his years at Miami:

1999: As a true freshman, Payton gains 262 yards in 7 games, before taking leave to be with his now-terminal father.

2000: Sprains his ankle on the last pre-season scrimmage. After wearing a cast for 11 days, Payton is redshirted for the year.

2001: Fully recovered, Payton expects to be Clinton Portis’ backup. But while scuba diving, he cuts his foot on coral (requiring 22 stitches and subsequent surgery after infection set in) and is now repositioned on the depth chart behind Portis, Willis McGahee, and Frank Gore. In July, Payton is thrown from his convertible in a car crash, which leaves him with “compartment syndrome” and chronic back pain (which persists to this day). Coaches reassigned Payton to fullback, but that didn’t work out.

2002: After Portis enters the NFL early and Gore has a season-ending knee injury, Payton is returned to tailback, behind only the now-legendary Willis McGahee on the depth chart. Has admittedly less-than-ideal outings in big games, including the Fiesta Bowl (in which McGahee suffered a serious knee injury). Graduates in December.

2003: Make-or-break year. Takes a few grad-level courses on the side, but is basically devoting himself to football.