Wanted: Eggplant recipies WITHOUT tomato!

There’s also one for the same with pomegranate molasses brushed on it and/or a yogurt/garlic sauce spooned over it.

Oooh, thanks for that link, I LOVE this at the Chinese buffet! Imma gonna make it.

I usually saute some eggplant in a bit of oil and pour on a jar of Indian curry sauce of some sort, cover, simmer, serve over rice. And hope I didn’t get one of those bitter eggplants.

Yes, positive I have no issue with eggplant. (As of right now - these things can change, of course).

It’s a good thing I don’t seem to cross-react to things closely related to my allergens, otherwise there would be little left for me to eat at all.

If I’m going to put eggplant into curry, I’ll dice it and roast it first. That puts a sort of crust on it, so it doesn’t completely fall to mush when it hits the curry sauce.

Or, cut the eggplants longways into thin slices, grill those, then roll them up with a mixture of feta, chili, and mint.

Sichuan “fish flavored” eggplant is a more authentic version of the garlic eggplant above.

My favorite is to salt, drain, cube and deep fry the eggplant. Then fry it again with Indian spices and some onion. Finally, add a bit of sugar and some lemon juice. It’s heavenly.

I just cut them into rounds (no need to peel), turn on the broiler, put whatever I want to on top (goat cheese is a favorite, as is pesto) and broil until they get a little brown.

Video for fried eggplant fingers. The Cajun class I took years ago recommended salting the pieces and letting the salt leech out the liquid.

I totally want fried eggplant now! :slight_smile:

Pretty complicated, but very tasty. This is a variation on Mollie Katzen’s Crispy Eggplant with Blue Cheese Sauce (I think the original is in the Enchanted Broccoli Forest).

Ok, really dumb question here - you can eat the rind/skin/peel of eggplants? (I’ve always had eggplant without it).

Uh, yep, that’s the restaurant I was talking about too. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure, you can. I’ve always eaten eggplant skin on, unless I was making a sauce where I wanted the eggplant to disappear.

Next dumb question:

I keep seeing stuff that I should salt and weight eggplant before using to remove excess juice/bitterness/water, yet the recipes never seem to mention that. Is the squeezing something I should do whether mentioned or not, or is it really optional unless otherwise specified?

Personally, I don’t think it’s necessary unless you’re doing something like frying where extra liquid is bad. However, the larger and older the eggplant, the more bitterness. But Cook’s Illustrated doesn’t usually do it and I don’t either.

There’s eggplant torta which is rather like an eggplant omelette, it can be done both with and without ground pork.

I did the salting and waiting and rinsing thing. I thought I rinsed those slices quite well, and they still ended up nearly inedible. I had to add more to the dish to dilute the saltiness. I haven’t done that again.

:slight_smile: Their dishes are awfully addicting, aren’t they? I’m still trying to figure out how to replicate their hanpen cheese.

I don’t like the peel, and so I always remove it, but peeling is generally optional. I generally don’t bother with salting - modern eggplant hybrids are generally not particularly bitter. If you’re worried about the quality of yours (eg it’s sat around for a while), you might want to try it.

Chunk, saute in olive oil with bell pepper strips, and serve with a garlicky yogurt sauce.

Slice in rounds, brush with olive oil, roast for about 10 minutes on each side or until it browns, then top with topping of choice. Pesto is good, or yogurt sauces, or goat cheese (run under the broiler for a minute or two until the cheese gets browned a bit).

Eggplant-sesame salad: roast an eggplant until it collapses. Let it cool for a few minutes, then peel, cut into bite-sized chunks, and toss with 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons soy sauce (less if yours is very salty), 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1/2 tsp sugar, and a drizzle of sesame oil.

Georgian eggplant salad. Totally the best thing ever.

The way we make “vegetarian fish” at home is: batter egg, slice the eggplant along its axis, salt the slices, side-side on the egg, fry. It’s one of those dishes which defy the law of conservation of mass or something: we make a whole eggplant for lunch, maybe 1/3 of it gets eaten at lunch, yet there is never any around by the time next morning rolls by!

And of course, you can always slice it against the axis instead of along it and make a large omelette. I think there are very few things out there a Spanish cook won’t try to make an omelette with.
Oh: I can’t remember its name now, but something which is used in Catalan cuisine as a side veggie is roasted strips of eggplant and red pepper (not the really spicy ones!). Just cut the strips, place on a font with a tad of oil, roast. It can also be made with tomato, but Mom usually doesn’t.