Wanting advice on going back to school

University admissions person checking in.

Dangerosa is absolutely right - don’t overestimate the value of an MBA unless it is from a ‘name’ school, especially if you lack relevant professional experience, thats an easy way to price yourself right out of an entry/low-level position.

The OP asked at one point about what’s hot right now market-wise. What we’re seeing is that many of the old reliable majors are employing between 90-100% of our graduates:

• Education, pretty much anything K-12 besides P.E., especially if you are willing to move out of the immediate area (St. Louis).

• Accounting, either a B.S. where you go right into the job market, or a B.S./M.S. that gets you some preparation for the CPA testing. Good degree to follow-up w an MBA that will net you advancement opportunities down the road.

• Computer Science, NOT a specific web development or html program but rather a degree that includes program, network set-up/administration, etc.

• Human Resource Management, popular b/c there’s plenty of internship and entry-level opportunities with the degree.

Languages - folks able to speak more than one language are in demand, especially if its something uncommon for American students, such as Arabic or Chinese. This is especially useful if you are looking at combining the language studies with a business, law enforcement or legal background.

Well, I’ve ben laid off. Totally out of the blue. I mean, I knew the business wasn’t good, but they’d said nothing. Then BAM, sorry, you’re laid off.

Well, no matter. Truth be told, I wouldn’t mind being a teacher, and this is a good place for it. And I would like being a network engineer, too. But I’d love to study marketing. Let me guess though - heavily fished waters?

ARGH!

Well isn’t that a kick in the nuts.

Bummer :frowning:

Similar thing happened to my dad. Just finished a sparkling performance review and was assured that their department wasn’t even being considered for cuts. Then his boss comes in out of the blue and tells him after 17 years with the company, “Box your stuff up and go.” :eek: