warp speed!

I recently came across [url=“http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.merry/specs3.htm”]this little chart and I find it interesting to see what the translation of warp factors into speed.
Look at the bottom where it says at warp ten the ship would occupy every point in the universe. Where would these people get this idea? Plus warp 9.99 requires infinite energy while we live in a universe where to accellerate an object to the speed of light one must use infinite energy.
Someone explain this, please.[/color]

sob, i can’t do anything right today

Warp speed as used in Star Trek is either:

1-Fast enough so the Enterprise/Defiant/Voyager could arrive in the nick of time to save the day, or
2-Slow enough so they wouldn’t get there in time and the landing party/away team would have to solve their own problem.

Drama determines its value, not physics.

Which is untrue, of course… we saw a Starfleet shuttle reach Warp 10 (allegedly), and it didn’t occupy all points in the universe… it only caused people to transform into big lizards.

Fancy-shmancy treknobabble. Also note that the alleged speed (nevermind that “speed” is unimportant in space) of Full Impulse is 1/4 that of lightspeed… which has been contradicted many, many, many times in the TV show (and, more recently, in the movie Nemesis).

Well, the nature of real theoretical warp drives just has an object “warping” space around it (none of this Subspace crap), thus allowing it to travel faster than light in relation to the rest of the universe, but travelling slower than light in its little bubble of warped space, maintaining relativity.

Of course, such a warp drive requires exotic matter and negative mass, not just antimatter and dilithium crystals.

The warp factors used in Star Trek: The Original Series differ from the ones used in the later series. While not canon, the Star Fleet Technical Manual (Ballantine, 1975)–published when the original 79-episode series was the entire canon–translated the factor as the cube root of how fast the ship was traveling in subspace (WFx) in relation to light in unwarped space (c). Thus, Warp Factor 8 was 512c.

For Star Trek: The Next Generation, the producers decided for some reason that the warp factors were calculated on a logarithmic scale where the speed of light was WF1 and infinite speed was WF10–hence the comment about an object at WF10 occupying every point in the universe. There were a few instances in TOS where a ship reached a double-digit warp factor, and even one episode in the Saturday-morning animated version (again, usually not considered canon) where the Enterprise reached WF36.

Oh man! I came into this thread thinking was about the Super Nintendo space shooter of the same name (Warp Speed). I can’t express how disappointed I am :frowning:

Yes, but the problem was that Tom Paris didn’t actually activate the warp drive – he accidentally turned on the Infinite Improbability Drive. (And he routed energy to it from the Goofy Plot Point Boosters).

I’m not so sure they had even decided this by TNG… or else one of the writers didn’t get the memo when he had the future Enterprise going Warp 13 in the series finale.

But that was The Future, so it’s OK, because they have completely re-invented the warp drive again.

Anyway, it doesn’t seem to matter as Nemesis seems to completely contradict that future, since

Data was still arrive in the future sequences of All Good Things

Anthing that happened in the future in All Good Things was only a possibility not a certainty.

I think that I remember seeing the point about the new warp-factor scale (with WF 10 being infinite speed) in Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual, which came out in 1991 while the series was still being produced. But I don’t have my copy handy.

You know, it’s not such a ridiculous idea to rescale the warp system when technology advances to a certain degree. For instance, if one ship has a maximum speed of warp 9.999 and one has a max speed of 9.9999, it would be difficult to tell that they’re vastly different. So, if you rename 9.9 to 10, 9.99 to 11, 9.999 to 12, and 9.9999 to 13, you make the numbers a bit easier to deal with.

Just for the record, for warp speeds of Warp 9 and below, the Star Trek: The Next Generation Technical Manual officially declares the following to be the formula:

Warp X = X[sup]3.333333…[/sup] times the speed of light

Of course, this contradicts the old Star Fleet Technical Manual published in the 1970s, which said that Warp X = X[sup]3[/sup] times the speed of light. But then again, the old 1970s Star Fleet Technical Manual was never officially canonized by Paramount.

Of course this is true, but the point is that under the 1-10 scale (which puts warp 10 as “infinite speed”), Warp 13 is not even a possibility. There could be no such thing. Unless as another post suggested, the warp scale were completely renumbered, and in that case, the “improvement” to warp 13 would completely fail to impress me… :wink:

(Well, the top speed of my car used to be 100 MPH, but we’ve changed the scale so that the old 100 MPH is now called 150 MPH! See how the technology is improved?)

What? You’re ignoring the future contradiction that happened in Generations? Here’s a hint: It wasn’t a Sovereign-class ship that we saw with a third warp nacelle…

Um… what? If you’re talking about the last scene of Generations, that wasn’t a ship with three warp nacelles, it was a Nebula class cruiser with your standard two nacelles and an overhead mission specific pod.

Another contradiction from Generations: Scotty watches Kirk’s “death” in the El-Aurian incident (which actually transports Kirk to the Nexus). But in the Next Generation episode “Relics,” Scotty is revived after 75 years in transporter stasis, and immediately speculates that Kirk has come out looking for him.

I’ve heard that Marshall is the company who makes the warp drives for all the new Federation ships.

Trying to nail down Star Trek techno-babble as fact is a dead-end game. Even within single seasons, the official “canon” has conflicting information. As good entertainment as the various series were, looking to them for consistency is a losing proposition.

No – SPOOFE’s point was that the ship that was in the future vision in “All Good Things” (the TNG series finale) was still the Enterprise D – the Galaxy class ship in the series – upgraded with a third warp nacelle and other kick-ass improvements (like “warp 13”). But that ship was pretty much destroyed (except for the crash-landed saucer section) in Generations.