Was ChatGPT Used?

I hang out on another forum where cooking is discussed. Recently, a new member posted replies that seemed to me were generated by ChatGPT. I’d be interested in other opinions whether or not this is the case. In the following, I’ve stated the questions that were posed and then the replies :

Question: Can a convection oven make chicken pie?

Reply: Yes, you can make a delicious chicken pie in a convection oven! Convection ovens are great for baking and roasting as they can evenly distribute heat throughout the oven and circulate air to cook food quickly and evenly. This is ideal for chicken pies that need even heat to ensure that the crust is perfectly cooked.

To make a chicken pie in a convection oven, preheat the oven to the temperature recommended by your recipe and place your pie in the oven. Bake for the allotted time and rotate your pie halfway through cooking. If you’re using a convection oven, you may need to reduce the cooking time by 15-25%, as convection ovens cook faster than regular ovens. Keep an eye on your pie and check it often to ensure it doesn’t burn. Once your chicken pie is golden brown and the internal temperature reaches 165°F, it’s ready to serve.

Question: Has anyone used an air fryer oven that is different from a convection oven?

Reply: Yes, an air fryer is a type of countertop appliance that is designed to cook food by circulating hot air around it. This allows it to produce the same crispy, crunchy texture as deep-fried food, but with significantly less oil. In contrast, a convection oven uses fans to circulate hot air throughout the oven chamber, which can help to cook food more evenly and quickly. While both air fryers and convection ovens use circulating hot air to cook food, they are designed for different purposes and have some key differences in how they operate.

Question: Do air fryers brown all over?

Reply: Yes, air fryers are designed to cook food by circulating hot air around it, which can help to evenly brown the surface of the food. This can give the food a crispy, crunchy texture similar to deep-fried food, without the need for as much oil. However, the degree to which the food becomes browned will depend on several factors, including the type and size of the food being cooked, the temperature and cooking time, and the specific model of air fryer being used. In general, air fryers are capable of producing evenly browned food, but it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and carefully monitor the food while it is cooking to ensure it is done to your liking.

There’s a free GPT2 detector, which so far has been hit and miss at spotting ChatGPT (based on GPT3.5) output.

I think all 3 of those were written by ChatGPT, but the detector is only sure one of them was.

They all read like a chatbot to me.

Yeah, they read like chatbot stuff to me, too. There’s just a whole lot of not answering the question and using some fixed verbiage and filler. It doesn’t even seem to understand the second question, which was asking for examples of things that would be cooked differently in an air fryer vs. a convection oven.

I don’t know if it’s a chatbot or a human marketer trying their best to sell a product, relying heavily on pre-written material. Whether it’s a chatbot or not, it’s clearly not written for the specific place it was used.

This is what the ChatGPT user required:

Becoming a chatbot: my life as a real estate AI’s human backup

For one weird year, I was the human who stepped in to make sure a property chatbot didn’t blow its cover – I was a person pretending to be a computer pretending to be a person.

That is an awesome article. Thank you! That was the find of the week for me.

Years ago I recall seeing a t-shirt that read “You’re an opera major? Which restaurant?”

Which got a certain extra piquancy when almost 40yo wife & I were eating breakfast in a bagel joint and yakking with the 25yo male waiter who mentioned he was majoring in Opera at the local private uni. Ouch. I sincerely hope he subsequently found his dream, not his nightmare.

So now 30 years later instead of:

You’re an opera major? Which restaurant?

We have

You’re a literature PhD? Which chatbot?

Wicked burn. Wicked.

AI in general appears to be “on the verge” of surpassing human cognition and creativity in a number of areas. In some areas, like Grandmaster chess, it has already surpassed us.

I was quite impressed with ChatGPT’s ability to create engaging stories in a number of different genres (sci-fi, drama, horror, etc.). Some of the AI art programs are also impressive. They are, however, still inferior to the output of creative humans.

I have no doubt that in the not-too-distant future, it will be human output that is inferior to that of AI. Bestsellers, masterpiece art and music, etc. will be the domain of AI.

On the one hand, I look forward to the great AI creations that will surely come our way.

On the other hand, I fear what will become of human artists, authors, content creators, etc., when AI is simply better, by all measurable criteria. Beethoven’s 9th Symphony may one day sound like boring hack music in comparison.

I hope the transition involves integration of creative AI with creative humans and not supplantation. Whatever occurs, it will be a major paradigm shift.

Some fairly creative human got ChatGPT to host a Linux VM.

And then just for shits and giggles, hosted another VM in that VM

Caution: this is super nerdy.

I know that I have generated AI images that were generally so good that it was heartbreaking that the person had seven fingers on each hand (or similar) and wished I could afford to hire a skilled artist to tweak away the flaws. So that’s one thing they could do.

Thank you, Stanislaw.

I don’t actually think that it’ll be soon that AIs will surpass talented humans. In order to do that, you need the full breadth of human experience, and while computers can do a lot of things faster than humans, the human experience isn’t one of them, because it requires interacting with existing humans, which throttles the pace down to the pace that those other humans can sustain. To get to know other people as well as humans know other people takes a lifetime. Now, they will still eventually surpass us, because in that lifetime, an AI could get to know many people, far more than any meatbag could meet and interact with. But it’ll still take that time to get to that point.

Now, it may be relatively soon that we see the “birth” of the first AIs capable of that sort of learning. But once that happens, we’ll still need to wait for them to grow up.

They sound like AI to me, too, BUT so do a lot of recipes. I’ve read that getting a recipe prioritized in search results is aided (or at least believed to be aided) by repeating the main ingredient a lot, so you get things like:

“Take the chicken out of the chicken packaging and put the chicken in the chicken pan…” – yeah, we get it, there’s chicken involved.

When I copy a recipe for my use, I often wind up cutting the wordcount by more than half just removing noise like this (along with stuff like “bake in the oven at 350F…” – no, bake in the refrigerator!)

It’s at that point AI become Morlocks, and we, Eloi.

I’m not opposed to that arrangement…except for the annoying “getting eaten” part.

“The AI does not hate you, nor does it love you, but you are made out of atoms which it can use for something else.”

― Eliezer Yudkowsky