Was Goliath the underdog?

I read this laughable quote on CNNSI.com

“They said it couldn’t be done, that David couldn’t beat Goliath,” shouted
[Florida’s] Joiner. “The score has been settled. Forty-one to 14,
University of Florida. Who didn’t deserve to be here?”

(As an aside, since when is “David” the #2-ranked SEC champ? A little school from Florida that’s never been on the national stage? Please! Save the hyperbole for Boise State, buddy.)

Anyway, I thought back to the original story from the Bible. Did David, with his sling and stone “outgun” Goliath with his sword? David had a definite range advantage, but how fast can a sling throw the rock? With more force than Goliath could render with his sword?

Was it the equivalent of me with a .22 handgun going against The Rock wielding a sword?

“Ha ha! bringing a knife to a gunfight!”

I see David and Goliath sort of like the Raiders of the Lost Ark scene with swordsman and gun- it was a bit underhanded. But, brilliant, and a fight between a heavily armed giant and an unarmored adolescent shepherd boy is hardly fair, so not much sympathy.

Anyway, the way I read it the stone didn’t kill Goliath, it just stunned and disoriented him and caused him to fall faceforward. It was David’s decapitation of him with the giant’s own sword that ended him.

To answer the question though, David was the underdog in terms of brute force and Goliath was the underdog in terms of cunning. I think the whole moral of this story is the value of brains over brawn.

The King James version is ambiguous:

1 Samuel 17:49
And David put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.

50:So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and smote the Philistine, and slew him; but there was no sword in the hand of David.

51:Therefore David ran, and stood upon the Philistine, and took his sword, and drew it out of the sheath thereof, and slew him, and cut off his head therewith. And when the Philistines saw their champion was dead, they fled.
Goliath got slewed twice, it seems. Breakin’ 2: Electric Slew-galoo.

Talk about* overkill.*

It always struck me that David cheated a bit in this contest. Goliath challeneged him to with contemporary military weapons and didn’t expect the kid to whip out a hunting weapon. Essentially, David brought a gun to a sword fight.

How tall was Goliath? Did the Bible mention it? When I was in Sunday School, learning the story, I assumed that Goliath was as big as a skyscraper. So I might have misheard the story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_and_goliath#Medical_speculation

Well I guess I was wrong about him being as tall as a skyscraper

Yeah but 9’ 6".

Fuck, that’s BIG!

I suspect that “cheating” (or, according to Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge, “adapting and overcoming”) has been a singularly effective military weapon since the dawn of time.

Goliath didn’t have a chance. David had God on his side.

The sling was a military weapon as well as a hunting one. Wiki article

There is no such thing as cheating in a fight to the death (IMHO, there is no such thing as cheating in ANY fight for that matter)…there is only winning or having your head chopped off by some snot nosed little shepard boy with your own sword.

Certainly David was the underdog…had he missed, or had Goliath managed to deflect the shot he would have been mincemeat. It was a one shot deal…win all or become dog chow.

-XT

Now if Goliath had been a Kodiak bear and David had had a Samurai sword…

…David would most likely have been lunch. :stuck_out_tongue:

-XT

Wrong. An agile teenage boy would have been able to evade the armored giant’s attacks almost indefinately. He also would have been able to dodge Goliath’s javelins and even throw them back. Goliath would have become exhausted long before David.

But rules, you gotta have rules.

Like in Butch Cassidy and…Oh right, bugger the rules

Stones are cheap, though. Even if Dave didn’t have a whole satchel full hanging from his belt, he can just pick them up off the ground. All he has to do is keep forty feet or so between him and the Big G and keep plinking him.

As biblical allegories go, this one’s message isn’t “put your faith in God”, but “play to your strengths and don’t be an idiot”, which in my opinion is far more useful.

… on a treadmill …

Oh ye of little faith. He couldn’t miss. It was preordained.

Besides, in addition to God, David had the story’s teller on his side. Don’t you remember how John Wayne was invincible?

:stuck_out_tongue: In point of fact, I have no faith at all. But thats another story.

Sure, but John Wayne had 30 shots in each 6 shooter, and could reload so fast that the human eye could not follow his actions! What did god have again? :wink:

-XT

:rolleyes: