Was I hacked?

I opened up my computer to youtube and discovered that somehow I was logged in as a user I’ve never heard of, J2Scoop. I logged out as this person and went to the loggin page and typed the letter J and the username came up under the autoform fill box. I’m virtually certain no one has used this computer but me. I googled the user name and found an aol email address matching the youtube name who apparently was on some heavy metal fan site. I emailed aol and youtube to report the incident. Does anyone know if I was hacked?

Virtually? If there is anyone else in the household they are suspects Waaaay before a hack. No real attempt to penetrate your machine would be used to login to youtube.

I’m basically positive, and I used visual route to trace j2scoop@aol.com to an isp in Virginia. I live in Philadelphia.

I don’t know whether it’s relevant, but the domain name j2scoop.com is registered to:

I dunno what, if anything, it means but that email is listed here.

Didn’t you just trace aol?

Yeah, I’d also be curious as to how you traced an email address to a geographical location. As for your question, that is indeed pretty odd that the name came up in your browser’s autocomplete. (What browser are you using?) At the same time, this would suggest that a person gained complete desktop control of your machine and then surfed over to youtube while you were unaware of it, which I find hard to believe.

Did you notice anything else amiss? Other sites in the browser’s history that you don’t remember visiting?

I used visual route. I assumed it traces an email address to its point of origin, same as an ip address. AOL is headquartered in Dulles, VA and the email address traced back to Manassas, VA, which is only 30 miles away. Maybe AOL has servers there and that’s as far as the trace went.

I was using IE7. I also found it odd that the autocomplete box was filled. I don’t know whether than can happen remotely. Also, I don’t even know anyone who listens to heavy metal music, let alone is the member of a heavy metal fansite.

I figure there are three possible reasons for all this. One, there was some kind of glitch on Youtube’s end. Two, some punk script kiddie was fooling around and managed to access my computer and log into youtube. Three, someone used my computer without me knowing. I’m hoping it’s the first one, but I haven’t heard back from youtube yet.

Far more likely is a scenario in which, at some point in the past, you yourself typed that value into a field which has the same identifying label in the web code as the Youtube logon. IE’s autocomplete logic is based on that identifier; that’s why when I go to the search page for a message board that uses the same software as the SDMB, the “search for these terms” field drops down with all of my past SDMB searches as well as anything I’ve typed on the other message board. The field labels are the same and IE shows autocomplete results for both.

Yeah, your route trace will only get back to an AOL server–that doesn’t tell you anything about where the user is …

Yea but it was actually logged in as J2scoop.

I’d personally go with someone else was on the computer. Maybe a family remember or a friend or something.

Either that ot youtube’s login system screwed and logged the person in as someone else.

Well I know you said you used “visual route” to trace the email address but I hadn’t heard of it. Now looking at what it purports to do, I’m pretty dubious. It really has no way of tracing just an email address back to a person who actually writes email from that account, it can only go by the domain name. In fact, if you ask it to trace other aol.com addresses, it will again give you an “origin” of Manassas, VA for them, too.

Frankly, I think it’s pretty disingenuous of them to call it a trace of any sort.

In any case, I don’t think there is any way a youtube glitch can cause your IE to autocomplete some random username. As far as I know, the only way for this to happen is if someone actually typed it in there at one point (either at the youtube.com site or theoretically, at the very least some other site with a similarly named field, as Cervaise mentioned). This someone, if not at your physical computer, could theoretically be someone who somehow obtained full remote desktop control of your PC, with a tool that works similarly to gotomypc, vnc, microsoft’s own Remote Desktop, etc. Personally I find this unlikely but I can’t think of any other way, if you’re certain that no one has ever typed that username on your computer.

Gawd, it’s like you people haven’t ever seen The Net or something. It’s computers! They can do anything!

[data point]
This happened to me once. I am/was sure no one had been on my machine and that I didn’t put that login info. I can’t remember what site it was, Flickr maybe? Perhaps MySpace? StumbleUpon? I don’t have an account on either, and in Googleling the login name that did come up I found a reference to it on someone’s resume in a different country. Never got around to emailing and asking about it (figured either he’d think I was phishing him, he was phishing me, etc) or posting here, and since it didn’t happen again I’ve been pretending it never happened in the first place.

Scared the mousetracks out of me.

Oh… I do use BugMeNot as a Firefox extension. But I was also pretty sure I hadn’t been to that site before, or at least hadn’t tried logging in with BMN. But who believes a computer user when they swear they never did something?

That would be highly unlikely. What’s the pay off?

There’s nothing on youtube you’d need anonymity to watch safely, and even if you did most remote desktop applications are piss poor dealing with video either showing a black square where the video should be or skipping lots of frames. A way more elegant solution would be to set up a proxy on the hacked’s computer. Although there’s plenty of free public proxies to avoid the need to hack at all.

Plus you run a giant risk of getting caught. I mean if youtube pops up on your computer and movies start playing you’re gonna either:

A call the ghost busters
B know you’re hacked.

Even stupider is logging in with your credentials on a hacked computer. Talk about making tracing it that much easier.

Granted there people that dumb so who knows?

I think we can rule it out though.

his youtube profile is at: http://www.youtube.com/user/J2Scoop and from that we learn che’s lives in america and is 24.

Q.E.D.'s page seems to be from mostly a heavy metal site with a big focus on ozzy osborn.

Know any 24 year old metal fans that might have had access to your computer?

:wink:

I agree. So it really depends on how sure we are that no one else could have used his computer. Too bad he logged out, he may have been able to learn something.

Like, maybe it turns out that by day, he is cainxinth, but by night, he is sleepwalking rocker J2Scoop, checking out the awesome vids on youtube.

OOOO maybe! The plot thickens!

He has a website too!

http://members.aol.com/J2Scoop/club.html

the folder directory at http://members.aol.com/J2Scoop/ has the files listed as last edited in 1997.

Poor guy’s been living this double life for ten long years he must be exhausted :frowning:

Even worse. Someone’s used aol for ten years! :eek:

cainxinth, do you have DSL, i.e. is your computer always connected to the 'Net?

If broadband, do you have a router / switch between you and the modem? Do you leave your computer on 24/7?