Was it the sushi, or was it me?

Why are people hating on edamame now?

Because it’s turned into a good-natured generalized sushi discussion, and I don’t like most soybean products? :smiley: I’ll take mine in nice white tofu blocks or nothin’, please.

Frankly, I object to all this delicious sushi discussion being interrupted by talk of something as tasteless as inari. And I always go for the edamame.

Hey, I recently had a chance to try natto! No too bad. I’m not sure it’s going to become a regular for me though.

I can’t even imagine how anyone would accomplish that. Wouldn’t it just disintegrate when you speared it?

Most people I see will scoop under the rice with the tines and try to lift rather than spear.

I was asking more because it was referred to as blasphemy etc. and was curious about the level of hate, not why edamame was in a sushu thread. I do not like sushi but I do love edamame. I will probably have some with my dinner tonight.

nevermind :smack:

It is a very subtle food in terms of taste. Not appreciating the subtle flavors seems like an entirely acceptable reason to not like it. Some people like boldly flavored food. I enjoy sushi from time to time just like I enjoy the Pennsylvania Dutch cooking I grew up with, but generally I prefer much bolder flavored types of food.

That said, I don`t know why you’d whine about it on the Internet but whatever floats your boat.

Honestly though, it seems to me that a lot of people who love love love sushi are the same people who saturate the rice with soy sauce or view it primarily as a wasabi delivery device. Now, it makes no difference to me how a person eats their dinner, but I don’t understand why you would overpower something as subtle as vinegared rice and unseasoned raw fish with copious amounts of very strong condiments.

Personally, as much as I enjoy sushi or sashimi, if you gave me a pound of fresh fish each day and said I can do whatever I want as long as I don’t cook it, I’d make ceviche 9 times out of 10.

I agree. I use very little, if any, soy sauce and wasabi when I’m having really good sushi.

I used to live in Japan and often saw people eat sushi with chopsticks as well. (That’s how I usually eat it too.) When I bought sushi-to-go then it came with chopsticks. People also eat it with their hands, either way is fine. Like scr4, it has also been my experience that only Americans are hung up about eating sushi the “right” way, putting the soy sauce on the “right” way, etc. Just eat it however you like.

I don’t think eating it with a fork would work very well though, unless you could manage to just scoop it up with the fork and lift it to your mouth. But stabbing the roll with the fork would make it fall apart.

Oh, I have in the US encountered sushi rolls too big to be eaten in one bite. I never saw anything like that in Japan, although I mostly got sushi from the same few places so I don’t know what might be available elsewhere. But that’s the one point upon which I can agree with the OP, sushi too big to fit in your mouth all at once is stupid and messy.

Then how do you flip it over to dip it in the soy sauce?

I was in Japan for New Year’s 1987 and the party food included sushi rolls as big across as my hand. No one was eating them in one bite.

Oh, I’m not saying it’s “correct” or anything. Just that in Japan, where I’ve been as a visitor (I certainly didn’t grow up there), I’ve seen plenty of (Japanese) people eat sushi with their hands.

Doesn’t matter to me. Here in the U.S., I eat sushi with chopsticks, like everyone else.

Again, based mostly on my observations of my dad, you apparently just dip the rice, fork and all, into the little dish with muttered phrases that’d get you in serious trouble if your wife heard you.

One of my friends piles pieces of gari and hunks of wasabi on top of his sushi and dips the whole thing in soy sauce. Gah.

Yeah, I don’t get that, either. To me, it’s like taking a seared Kobi steak and then drowning it in A1 and horseradish. But if you enjoy it, who am I to say, as long as my sushi comes the way I want it.

And, yeah, ceviche is awesome. A couple weeks ago I had some Yucatecan conch ceviche (caracol ceviche) which was out of this world. We also had some prepared cooked, in a mojo de ajo (a kind of garlic sauce), and, despite the copious amounts of garlic, the ceviche preparation was the clear winner. Gotta love the flavor of lime, peppers, onions, and raw seafood.

Just had sushi for the first time yesterday, at the best place in DC. I was very suprised. The fish had very little flavor. The rice was very good, but the wasabi was a little strong. I had heard that the pickled ginger was to be eaten between pieces as a palate cleanser. Wow, was it hot! I could only eat it twice before I gave up. It was an interesting experience that I don’t think I will ever do again. A tip for sushi newbies: stay away from the squid.

Yeah, puddle, my own personal sushi heresy is that I take a tiny bit of wasabi, and several strips of ginger, and put them both into the soy sauce to dip the sushi in. No palates being cleansed for me!