[QUOTE=amrussell]
I’m not sure about the die roll - there are conditions of entry to Plato’s Republic too (it’s only meant to be a small city-state after all, so not everyone’s going to be there. And if you want to be any kind of artist, poet or actor, you get drummed out of town.)
[/quote]
Being drummed out of town sounds infinitely more humane than being tortured or tortured then murdered in hellfire. However, please cite the conditions of entry into Plato’s Republic so I can read more on that.
[QUOTE=amrussell]
To be honest, the idea of living in a state where the rulers reserve to themselves the right to lie to the populace for their own good, and where the good of the state will always trump the good of the individual gives me the screaming heebie-jeebies (current affairs fans, insert your own withering political satire here!) and less attractive overall than a world where regardless of political structure, the priority is on caring for others and being quick to forgive wrongs.
[/quote]
I share some of your heebie-jeebies, however the good of society frequently trumps the good of the individual to this day, so that, at least, seems fairly par for the course, and in a collective society may be a necessity. As for lying to the populace, while that is done today, I agree with you that it is not a good thing. However, coming up with certain lies to get people of differing levels of ability to peaceably accept their lot in life does speak Plato’s ability to think through some complex problems and accept what he thinks is the lesser of evils. That is more impressive to me, and resembles reality far better than just envisioning a place where all evil disappears by magic, coincidentally only after you die.
[QUOTE=amrussell]
I think there’s some confusion between us here. I would say that many of Jesus’ “The Kingdom of Heaven is like this. There was a master/father/traveller…” parables are not statements about the afterlife, but lessons for living life here and now.
[/quote]
While Jesus was somewhat conflicting as to what the “Kingdom of heaven” was, most citations are of him saying we should believe and act in such and such ways so that we could go there in an afterlife. He said the “kingdom of god is within” once, but for the most part talked about believers living in eternal paradise after they die. When Jesus contradicts himself, which he does quite often, it makes me think (as I put it once before) that he is just an inarticulate boob, who couldn’t get his story strait if his life depended on it. And no, that does not ring of supernatural wisdom to me, nor even exceptional human wisdom. How about you?
[QUOTE=amrussell]
It’s these that I was suggesting we compare with Plato’s Republic, as they are about how mankind should live life on earth, not about the afterlife. He did also speak of paradise, but I would suggest its better to compare those statements to Plato’s metaphysics, on an apples-with-apples principle.
[/quote]
I’m fine with that. We can examine Jesus’ instructions to give away all your personal property to the poor, his admonishments against divorce, his instructions to hate your family, his promotion of not the poor being as good as the rich, but rather the poor being better than the rich, etc. or his oh so enlightened desire to have everyone worship him/god or suffer infinite consequences. I am really interested in seeing people actually quote some real verses of Jesus saying brilliant things that are worthy of the recognition posterity has bestowed on him.
[QUOTE=amrussell]
(Also, when Plato gets ideas from others, its “dialog” and when Jesus does it’s plagiarism. Do you think it’s possible you’re coming to this question with some preconceptions?)
[/quote]
Not at all, I noted in my OP that any credit I give Plato you could attribute to Socrates, as it is difficult to know how much of Plato is him and how much is just his recording others. As for Jesus, it seems he just popularized an afterlife scenario stacked onto Judaism.
[QUOTE=amrussell]
I’ve said before that I think posthumous IQ tests are a) impossible and b) otiose. That said, I don’t think Plato took human foibles and biases into account so much as tried to steamroller over them.
[/quote]
I disagree. Plato went out of his way to make sure that the rulers of his society were detached from personal possessions to keep greed out of policy, which is something that plagues us to this day. I would not call that steamrollering.
[QUOTE=amrussell]
Other philosophers, however (let’s not get hung up on Plato), have come up with considerably more sophisticated approaches to the problem of politics (Hobbes, Marx and Locke, for example) and I’d give them great credit for intellectual rigour.
[/quote]
I’ve read Marx, but not Locke or Hobbes so I can’t comment on them. However, my point is not at all that Plato system was in anyway best but rather, just brilliant, particularly for his time. The same can not be said for Jesus. His intellectual teachings are practically non-existent and his morality is abhorrent. So far in this thread we have not had one Jesus quote given as an example of something worthy of two millennia of respect.
[QUOTE=amrussell]
**It takes much more hard, careful thought to produce a Leviathan, or a Communist Manifesto, or a US Bill of Rights, than it does to preach love and forgiveness. **
[/quote]
I bolded your quote as I agree with it completely. This is the point of my thread. Preaching love and forgiveness is historically quite common. Preaching love and forgiveness, while at the same time threatening people who don’t love and follow you, is more rare, but rather than being worthy of respect should quality one for histories hypocrite hall of fame. Or do you disagree?
[QUOTE=amrussell]
Let’s note though that despite the intellectual rigour and brain-sweat, most political philosphies have turned out to be flawed to a greater or lesser extent - some practically, some theoretically. So we’ll have to allow that people can be incredibly smart - and wrong, often in some fundamental way.
[/quote]
I don’t disagree with that either.
[QUOTE=amrussell]
For the record, I don’t believe in any afterlife, or in reincarnation or immortal souls. On the other hand, I’d really hesitate to say that people who do should have IQ points knocked off.
[/quote]
I would agree for pre-Darwinians. I do think that on average, today believers are not as intelligent as non-believers. But that is not the topic of this thread. Plato believed in god’s as did Jesus, but still Plato, with all his faults still displayed considerably more intellect, both in quantity and quality. Do you really disagree?
[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
IMHO Jesus taught a simple method. Judge men by their fruits.
[/quote]
Funny, I thought he taught us not to judge others at all. Again, we are back to my observation of Jesus being an inarticulate boob.
[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
By people’s actions we see the true spirit that lives within them.
[/quote]
I would agree by peoples actions you can see how they are likely to act in the future. As for seeing their “true spirit” I would ask you to define what you are talking about, and ask for a cite.
[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
So rather than WWJD my question is “what does love and truth require of me in this situation”…
[QUOTE=cosmosdan]
Save that for another thread. This thread is about Jesus in particular. Love and truth, if personified would probably not give false promises about the answering of prayers nor condemn most of humanity to hellfire. However, according to all records, that is exactly what Jesus would do.
[QUOTE=The Flying Dutchman]
I seem to recall some passage in the bible where at an early age Jesus impressed a lot of rabbis with his knowledge.
[/QUOTE]
I think we all respect Socrates, not because someone wrote that he was smart, but rather because of what is actually attributed to him. Impressing rabbis probably isn’t the most difficult of tasks but I would be a lot more impressed if I saw the actual arguments Jesus laid forth as a youngster, rather than just hearing 3rd or 4th hand that he did a good job. The latter just rings of propaganda.