Was Snakes on a Plane scary if you were afraid of snakes?

Spoiler question:

I heard a small dog got thrown to a snake, any truth in that?

Yep. There’s one REALLY big snake on the plane. As to the original question: I don’t like snakes at all, but the movie was not scary. The snakes (particularly the big one) are just CGI and you knew what was going to happen at the end with badass Samuel L. Jackson in the film.

The trailer traumatized me to the point of screaming and burying my face in my husband’s arm. Reading this thread made me uncomfortable. I will never, ever watch this movie.

Like many of the other respondents to this thread, I will never ever watch this movie. Even if it’s campier than The Nightmare on Elm Street sequels, I can’t watch it. The only thing worse would be Zombies and Snakes on a Plane (and there, we have our sequel).

And one of them was a harmless milksnake. Not a coral snake, mind you. A stinkin’ milksnake. I checked.

Yes, but the guy who did it is characterized as a total dick and gets his comeuppance by being strangled by a giant snake.

There was actually a direct-to-video film called Flight of the Living Dead which could be accurately described as “Zombies on a Plane” (and which some reviewers thought Samuel L. Jackson should have starred in).

Shouldn’t it be Snakes on a Plane on a Treadmill? Or is the treadmill on an inclined plane? :smiley:

No, not “Zombies and Snakes on a Plane”. Zombie Snakes on a Plane!
I doubt many people with snake phobias would want to watch this movie, for the same reason I refused to watch Arachnophobia and 8-Legged Freaks.

Not a real sequel, but Snakes on a Train. I haven’t seen it, but only because my wife won’t let me waste good money.

To answer the Op, my wife who is afraid of snakes did find the movie scary, but a stupid scary.

-Otanx

I am very anti-snake (no fur + no limbs = no use for them; that’s my rule for land critters) and I thought parts of the film were very creepy/scary/intense/disturbing.

I also thought the whole film was a hoot, and had a much tighter plot than I was prepared for. I’d give it a solid 7, and happily watched it in the theatre 3 times, and on DVD at least 6 times.

Speaking of nightmares…When I was very young, I often had nightmares where I was in a place filled with snakes and every place I could step had a snake waiting there.

But then, when I got older, a friend of mine caught a snake that was coming into his house through the cable TV hole in the wall. I took it home as a pet (it was a California King snake). It was very affectionate (as cold-blooded animals, snakes like to be next to warm-blooded beings), and since then I’ve never had a nightmare about snakes.

Nine out of ten snakes are not venomous, and no snake attacks humans as prey.

This doesn’t answer the OP, but it’s important to keep in mind that in the U.S. more people die from bee stings than snake bites.

In the sequel. a plane filled with snakes crashes into a plane full of mongeese. It’s not quite as awesome as it sounds.

I’m snake-phobic to the point that I can’t even look at pictures of snakes. So even though this looked like the ultimately hysterical bad movie (and I love Sam Jackson!), there was no way I was going NEAR this movie.

The same snake, in fact, if I recall aright.

This demonstrates the same principle behind not feeding alligators. Once they associate you with supplying food their little reptile brains decide you = food.

The more you know.

Indy?

:smiley:

Bees on a Plane!

No, I think you’d want to keep one plane, but increase the snake to plane ratio. Perhaps it could start with a plane actually tranferring snakes to a new, er… snakequarium, but they bust loose and take over the plane. Except that, as luck would have it, Nicholas Cage, imprisoned snake wrangler, is on the plane too…

Fear of snakes seems to operate disproportionately to any other phobia. Plenty of people are afraid of spiders; but they’re generally not paralyzed by the thought that a spider might be hiding way the hell over there, or alarmed because a kitten bears a mild resemblance to a particularly large and hairy spider.

But I’ve seen many people respond in pure terror at the sight of a snake dozens of yards away. I’ve seen people freak out at the sight of a baby alligator-- not because it’s a dangerous reptile that wants to chew your finger off, no; because they saw the scales and instantly mistook it for a snake. Hey, Don Knotts! See the LEGS?! They’re kind of a giveaway!
I think the bees should be in a submarine. How could a naval drama be made any less suspenseful by the presence of killer bees? Hell, even regular bees would probably be pretty damn nervewracking. "To keep the missiles from being launched, first we’ve got to pry open this panel and bypass Fire Control-- Oh fucking hell another nest of bees!"

My fear of spiders has greatly lessened over the years, but I used to freak out at the sight of a spider in the opposite corner of the room, and I still jump every time I think I see one out of the corner of my eye.