Was The "Lone Survivor"Tragedy a Command Screwup?

I read the book, and plan to see the movie.
Anyway, it seems (to me) that the whole thing was a disaster comparable to “Blackhawk Down”.
The Seals were dropped into enemy territory without:
-adequate backup-no plan B in case things went awry
-no communications link to command-how were they supposed to let the command know what was happening
-no way of signaling for help
Of course, actions like this are designed to be secret and fast-there was no way it could have succeeded, once the team’s presence became known to the Taliban fighters.
Plus (as in Somalia), the intended target was nowhere near the place that the team landed at-did this mean that there was a massive intelligence breakdown?
Did any senior heads roll over this disaster?

I thought it was odd that the story of an idiot shooting a couple in front of him 'cause the guy was texting during the movie previews at a Lone Survivor screening would make it into GD…

I asked myself the same question when I saw the guy on 60 minutes (might have been some other news show.) The show I watched described the action as a firefight with dozens of Taliban where almost 20 American’s lost their lives.

It sounds like a complete screwup that involved a few SEALs getting trappped. The huge loss of life came when the helicopters tried to rescue them, something like 16 people died in the crash and were never involved in the firefight.

My theory is that we so completely dominate the battlefield now that the only exciting stories to come out of the area are that one time 4 SEALs wondered off on their own and got trapped, then everything went to shit when we tried to rescue them. Much like ‘Blackhawk Down’ - turn a major screwup into a hit, patriotic movie and everybody goes home happy.

Wow, no shit. Someone on FB posted “Just watched Lone Survivor. Wow. All I can say is ‘Thank you!!’”

For fucking what? Stupid ass knee-jerk military worship.

Mind you, the more typical military screwup wouldn’t make for a patriotic movie, more like a quirky rom-com. I picture it as a sort of rehash of* Four Weddings and a Funeral* :

Tariq and Jamilah are two hip young Yemenis who keep running into each other at their friends’ tacky weddings. First one they notice each other, second time there’s a will-they-won’t-they interrupted by the antics of Aunt Nazeera. Third one is actually Jamilah’s wedding to a wealthy, humourless cunt from Dubai who’s going to make her immensely rich, but Tariq belatedly realizes she’s The One and he’s in the process of missing his chance at matrimonial happiness when suddenly his funny old Scottish mate starts choking on a date.
Then the whole wedding explodes out of the blue and everybody dies, for no reason. A lone predator drone flies on. The End.

Call it Three Weddings and Sixty Funerals.

I read the book a couple of years ago and plan on reading Victory Point as soon as it arrives in the mail. I have not seen the movie. It seems there many contradictions and inaccuracies in the movie and the book not the least of which is the number of enemy fighters. The numbers range for 8 or 10 to over 200 with the number going up every time the story is re-told. One thing is pretty clear - the SEALs didn’t “wander off”. They were inserted with the goal of locating a local commander so they could call in an airstrike or larger ground force to deal with him. One thing I don’t understand (maybe this was addressed in the book but I don’t remember it) is why, once they were discovered and let the herders go, they didn’t call in that they were compromised and get the hell out of there. Why stay in the same spot? It obviously wasn’t a very defend-able position. I would hope that 4 SEALs could hold off 8-10 enemy if they held the high ground. Better yet - beat feet. It makes it harder for the enemy to kill you if they don’t know where you are. There is probably something I forgot or am missing.

BTW, I am a pretty strong supporter of the guys who are on the line. No so much of the brass making idiotic decisions.

Missed the edit the second time around but, if you want to have an idea of how screwed up things can be, read The Outpost by Jake Tapper. Two Medals of Honor in one battle that should never have happened. Soldiers paying with their lives for incompetent commanders.

I haven’t read the book and have no plans to see the movie but confused accounts of a battle and huge disagreements over the number of enemy involved are par for the course in firefights.