Was there a crackdown on bootleg items in NYC Chinatown?

I just got back from a long weekend in Manhattan and was wondering if there had been a crackdown on bootleg items being sold in Chinatown and various other places? Last year, I was able to purchase all kinds of bootleg CD’s, DVD’s, etc, etc. This year, on Canal Street, I only found one place that dealt in bootleg music and their choices were very limited. Did something happen? I didn’t even see a lot of “designer” purses being sold by street vendors as in the past.

Eric

Not that you were looking to purchase illegal products cough I imagine, but I noticed plenty of street-sellers when I was in NYC in August. One woman in particular kept her huge trash bag full of DVDs under a pickup truck parked on the street, and another carried all of hers in her baby carriage. It didn’t seem like there would be much difficulty in procuring bootlegs in August, but there may have since been a crackdown.

Sorry I can’t be more of a help

Greetings fellow Richmonder. When I was there a year ago, vendors were selling their wares out in the open, with (apparently) no fear. Heck, I even saw a cop flipping thru the CD’s and purchasing a few last year.

Eric

One of the local rags (Post? Daily News?) had an article this week about just that. The supposed ‘crackdown’ has actually been going on for the past year, but it’s always possible to obtain counterfeit designer goods if you’re persistent.