Was this rude? (holding up a very long line)

Inconsiderate, but I’m sure the kid was only able to get the WOW expansion because his mother required him to trade stuff in to get it. Maybe they should have done that beforehand.

It was absolutely, inarguably, NOT rudeness on the kid’s part because you left out a crucial piece of information. Gamestop was offering trade-in bonuses that night. They notified us that if we brought in games to trade, we’d get extra credit that night for trading those games in against the WoW expansion. My son brought four to trade just because of that (caveat–your store might not have participated in this, but we were told about it by the automated reminder phonecall we got from Gamestop headquarters).

Also, the store you went to handled the lines poorly. Ours had one line. Just one. As each register was clear, the next person came in. There’s no way 20 people should have been able to get ahead of you, and poor line handling isn’t the boy’s fault.

I guess I would consider it rude behavior on the part of the store. I worked for a GameStop, and if we allowed trade-ins during a game release like that, at least we would have had one dedicated register to do that, and had the other two ringing people up, so the lines wouldn’t be long.

That changes things. The failure is now entirely on the retailer for poor line management.

Yes, definitely. If that was a deliberate move on the part of the store, then the idiocy is all theirs and not the boy’s in the slightest.

Funny how one simple left-out fact makes a difference in someone’s opinion. That little fact wouldn’t have changed my opinion one whit, but I do find it interesting.

Well, it’s a pretty important fact. Without it, the kid chose to wait until the last possible moment to turn his games in for store credit, when it could easily have been done in advance, thus inconveniencing a line-up of people in the middle of the night for no real reason other than to save Mommy a trip. With it, the kid was doing the only thing he could to get the store credit bonus – inconveniencing a line-up of people in the middle of the night.

Thanks - you saved me so much typing. :slight_smile: With this information, definitely store’s fault, and could have been handled much better.

Well, I still don’t agree with the “inconveniencing” label. Trading in used games and buying new ones is what Gamestop is about. It’s why people go there. If it took a clerk 15 minutes to do that stack of games, it’s a bad clerk. We were done at the register in five minutes, and that’s trading in four used games and buying three copies of the WoW expansion.

It was something else entirely that pissed me off. The recorded message we got said the store would open at 10:00pm, they’d process everyone, and at midnight they’d start handing out games. All of the money (and trade-ins) were supposed to be done well before midnight, so we could hit the road. Instead, we got there at about 11:00 and stood outside in the cold. Then they finally opened the mall doors at about 10:40, and we stood inside for 20 minutes. The first customer didn’t get into the store until midnight – two hours after Gamestop said they’d start processing people.

Oh man! This is like the third OP in the last month where the OP left out information that would have changed the whole course of the thread IMO. Gah!

Kid not rude at all.

Nope, if the store invited that behavior, of course it’s not rude.

Of the kid.

Retarded, on the store’s part, they could have accomplished the same thing by offering those bonuses anytime if applied to prepay on this particular game.

But the kid ain’t rude for responding to the stores promotion.

He’s a kid - it’s a game. He lined up and took his turn. He didn’t hold up the line - he took his turn. I don’t see where being a kid has any relevance and I can’t see that he was rude. Why did the kid wait for the last possible moment? Maybe it was his first possible moment, since he’s a kid he’s probably got to wait for his mum to take him.

Seriously. And I can’t believe (not LITERALLY, of course - I CAN believe it ;)) that the other cashier, after taking 2 or 3 customers, wouldn’t integrate some from your line into his, once he saw what was going on…

Joe

Count me in with the ‘surprised the store allowed it’ crowd. The GameStop we were at rung everyone through ahead of time, then when midnight rolled around they started actually handing out games to those with receipts. Made things much faster once midnight actually rolled around (we were out by 12:03). No one was getting in at that point who hadn’t already paid.

Well, if I had known such information, I would have included it in the OP and would be bitching about how GameStop is stupid, not that this kid was rude.

How is that funny? OF COURSE not having all the information in can change people’s opinions. I mean, come on, fighting ignorance and all…

The people running the store were inconsiderate. One line for all registers, or paying ahead of time, or trade ins only allowed on one line, or whatever would have all been better.