Washington Post: Russian propaganda effort helped spread ‘fake news’ during election, experts say

This is chilling.

I’d say it was ironic that stories about fake news appear in the largest outlets of fake news but it’s just professional jealousy.

:rolleyes:

Well where do you get your information about things outside your locality, oh enlightened citizen?

Mostly from cable TV fake news channels.

Think of how different this election would have been if those in power took the law and computer security seriously.

The Russians exploited a weakness of a hostile country. Wow, never been done before.:rolleyes:

Oh, in that case I’m fine with it. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah. Be fine with it. Thats how nation states and especially Great Powers act. You think the U.S has not been trying its damndest to influence elections on 7 continents for 7 decades? Turn about is fair play.

This is an outrage. As a proud patriot, I demand my fake news come from America oligarchs, not Russian oligarchs.

The U.S. media outlets worked long and hard to undermined their own credibility with the viewers. It seems that the LSM prefer to be the first to report a story and accuracy became a secondary consideration. Sometimes it’s difficult to tell which group produces the most fake news, the Russians, or the Washington Post.

Hey, same question to you. What news sources do you frequent?

I have no problem telling the difference. Yes, I know The Donald’s been angry at the Post for some time now; you’re following The Party Line.

Can you offer *one *fake news story from this American news source?

Preferably from private servers run from the editor’s house.
Private servers are the best !

Not everyone finds it “difficult to tell,” only those in the target audience who lack, or have no interest in acquiring, the minimal critical thinking skills needed to discern actual news reporting from outlandish (but worldview-propping) bullshit invented out of whole cloth by unsourced clickbait mills exploiting endemic, generational American ignorance for fun and profit.

Cheer up, though, you’re in good company. Numerous, anyway.

None of which I had anything to do with and none of which I supported. But now the US and the world face a bigoted far right US government that’s buddy buddy with Putin, talks in a cavalier manner about the use of nuclear weapons, and not only doesn’t care about human caused global warming but doesn’t even believe in it.

That’s just the start of the list, and all of those things affect the entire world, not just the US.

And yeah I do also care about domestic issues, so sue me. I care about my family and friends and fellow citizens. Don’t most people? Don’t you?

So yeah, I am not going to be fine with it regardless of you telling me otherwise.

Even allowing for their admission that there is no evidence of any effect (delicately phrased as “no way to know”), the statement:

is a monumentally hyperbolic way of saying, “several Twitter accounts seem to be run by the same people.” The idea that we need to start cleansing the foreigners off of “American-made” social media because something somewhere on the internet is wrong strikes me as an overreaction.

The Washington Post article linked to in the OP cites an even more chilling article by fellows at the Foreign Policy Research Institute in Philadelphia and the Center for Cyber and Homeland Security at The George Washington University:

Trolling for Trump: How Russia Is Trying to Destroy Our Democracy

The subtitle of the article is: “Trump isn’t the end of Russia’s information war against America. They are just getting started.” :eek:

From the article:

[quote]
Until recently, Western governments focused on state-to-state negotiations with Putin’s regime largely missed Russian state-to-people social media approaches. Russia’s social media campaigns seek five complementary objectives to strengthen Russia’s position over Western democracies:

[ul][li]Undermine citizen confidence in democratic governance;[/li][li]Foment and exacerbate divisive political fractures;[/li][li]Erode trust between citizens and elected officials and democratic institutions;[/li][li]Popularize Russian policy agendas within foreign populations;[/li][li]Create general distrust or confusion over information sources by blurring the lines between fact and fiction.[/ul][/li][/quote]

Who said anything about cleansing foreigners? You’re conflating foreign intelligence agents with foreign citizens in general.

If this was a hostile act by a foreign government then there is every reason to be concerned and there is every to reason to inform the American people that it is going on and that they need to think more critically and be more suspicious of what they read.

I can’t believe the people on here who seem to be suggesting that we just take it up the ass like good little propaganda targets.

Is there a rigorous definition of “fake news story,” in play here?

It’s more than just “several Twitter accounts seem to be run by the same people.”

The story I just linked to cites research showing evidence for “thousands of Russian-language bots” and “7,000 social media accounts” linked to Russia, along with Russian state-sponsored news outlets described in the article as including “Russian propaganda stations RT and Sputnik.”

More worryingly, the fake news is crowding out the real news: