Washington Post: Russian propaganda effort helped spread ‘fake news’ during election, experts say

Why would democrats favor such laws and republicans oppose? How is this a partisan issue?

Democrats Bad. Republicans Good.

This is all you need to know.

And the “bad” side wants to prevent fraudulent news while the “good” side is in favor of it?

More like: the good side sees the danger of having government squelching speech it dislikes. The bad side apparently doesn’t see this danger.

That’s why I said model it after fraud laws. Then it cannot be abused simply as squashing speech you dislike. Do you have that same concern about fraud? Is it a first amendment violation that companies aren’t allowed to false advertise? That it’s illegal to con people out of their savings?

But don’t you know that
“The Fake News Meme is an Amateurish, Soros-Funded PsyOp Which Backfired”?

The article reads like something from The Onion, but it seems to be sincere (sincere in the sense that they want people to believe their twaddle).

The ownership of the domain russia-insider.com is anonymized, of course.

So now they’re attacking the idea of fake news.

“Amateurish, pathetic”. Sad.

Yes. Their own words are a perfect description of their own article.

Let’s take the story that a pizza parlor in DC is home to a child sexual abuse ring run by Clinton supporters. This has apparently spurred an armed man to “self-investigate” the fake news story, leading to patrons fleeing in fear of a mass shooting, and the man firing a few shots in the restaurant for unclear purposes.

That man will hopefully spend several years in prison for his actions. The purveyor of the fake news that alleges this child abuse scheme, however, is peddling something that is clearly false. There’s literally no debate on that point. Aside from this armed invasion incident, the staff of the restaurant have been harassed and received death threats.

I don’t know to what extent that the stories about this pizza parlor meet the legal definition of slander or libel, but it seems to me that whoever originates and propagates these stories, with knowledge that they are totally false, and with total recklessness for the foreseeable outcome of those stories, ought to be subject to some kind of punishment. At least with civil damages, but I would say criminal penalties would be suitable as well.

Can someone tell me what the supposed evidence behind this whole pizzagate thing is? I know I can google it, but I’m afraid what sites that will take me to. I know it has something to do with Podesta’s emails, but are there any specific things in there that led to this?

Alleged gunman tells police he wanted to rescue children at D.C. pizza shop after hearing fictional Internet accounts

Wonder who he voted for.

Until proven false? OK, then, make sure your tin-foil hat doesn’t have any holes in it.

At a D.C. pizzeria, the dangers of fake news just got all too real

Michael Flynn, the chosen national security adviser, is tweeting about satanic rituals? Please tell me that is fake news.

It was his son, Michael Jr.

Michael Jr. tweeted about the Pizza place.

Michael Flynn, Trump’s choice for national security advisor was indeed tweeting about a different (false) conspiracy theory involving satanic rituals:

The sane Republicans have left the building, leaving behind only the credulous, ill-informed, conspiracy theory loving buffoons.

The Washington Post is reporting that the CIA has briefed the Senate that the Russians interfered with the election specifically to elect Trump. I’m sure they wanted to make America great again.

This just broke, and I don’t know enough about it to say anything. And its killing me.

No one will go on the record? Fake news strikes again.

Your attempts to invalidate this term are sad.

I heard on the radio driving home that Obama has ordered, crap I forget who, but some agency, to look into this and to make the investigastion quickly.

Here’s the link to CNN story.

And if they reveal some really damning information, half the country won’t believe it.