Watching Football from a Sky Box

Anyone ever done it? How does the experience compare? To me it would seem that you are too far from the action.

There are lots of amenities (televisions, wait staff, etc), which are pretty fair tradeoffs for needing binoculars to watch the 11 minutes of action per game.

The amenities also include heat and shelter, which can be very important for those November through January games in non-domed northern stadiums (ie NY, Philly, NE, Cleveland, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Green Bay, etc.) :slight_smile:

It’s not ideal, unless you have a good seat within the suite. Sometimes a suite owner will sell all the tickets, and they all get assigned seats. Unless you’re in the seats that jut out from the box, it’s a very different experience than being in regular seats at a stadium. I had suite tickets for a BCS National Championship game, and our seats were several rows back. They were the cheapest seats available at the time. I wouldn’t have traded them for the nosebleed seats some other friends had, but there are much better places to see a game from.

I’ve watched several baseball games from the sky box. One at the new Yankee stadium and a couple in Seattle. It’s a “different” way to watch a game. You are (or can be) far from the action. More importantly, you’re removed from the crowd and stadium “experience.” There are certainly good things about it, but for a true fan, it’s usually better to be in the seats with everyone else.

I watched a football game from a luxury box at the old Giants stadium. You certainly are not too far from the action. About half the seats in the stadium were above us and further away. Nice and toasty. A stocked fridge with beer. A buffet. And TVs tuned to all the other games going on. It really is a great way to see a game. Too bad I’m poor and just feel into the tickets.

It wasn’t football but I had a chance to visit the Owner’s box at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit many years ago and it was quite amazing. It was essentially an apartment where one wall was all glass and the balcony was seats in the arena. It had a living room with couches and chairs, a bar, a bathroom and a table of food that was unbelievable.

This was an arena that was probably built in the 60s; I would guess the ones in modern stadiums and arenas are much better.

I’ve caught a 49ers game at a Candlestick box. I didn’t notice much difference in how well we could see what was going on, and the food, drink, and bathroom facilities were much better than those for the hoi polloi. You still get a better view on TV, but w/e. I pretty much agree with Loach’s take on it. Glad I didn’t have to pay for the tix though.

I attended a Titans game from our corporate skybox last season. It was pretty sweet - the front windows open wide, so the view wasn’t bad - better than any upper-tier seats I’ve had, and better than sitting in the end zone for example. Plus the seats were more comfortable and there was plenty of complimentary food and drinks, and I got to hang out with a bunch of co-workers whom I like. I’d do more games like that given the chance.

considering the TV cameras are floating above the field of play I wonder why anyone goes to a game now. For the price of crappy seats you can cater in the finest food and sit in a recliner with your friends and take a taxi home.

It’s not like the old days with people banging the side of a 20" black and white TV hoping the signal comes in. We live in a world where a small TV is 40" of high def with surround sound and the networks can superimpose the 1’st down line so nobody has to wait a nanosecond to know if they made it or not.

I’m getting old but the thought of leaving my house, driving through traffic and taking out a mortgage for a hot dog in order to see a ball game seems to have faded into the comfort of seeing the action close up in the comfort of my own home.

Having seen a football game from an ordinary seat, I can’t imagine that the view from a skybox is any worse for being physically farther from the field. I was constantly looking to the scoreboard to find out what happened on a given play, being able to see the pile-up on the field was no help at all.

I’ve done it a few times, in both stadiums and arenas.

There is no better way to watch a game in person if you want to be comfortable.

There is a private bathroom, which is always nice.
Many places offer a private waiter/waitress, who will take your orders and deliver them either during the game, or if you have pre-ordered, the food is waiting.

There ware usually refrigerators stocked with beer and soda. These are sort of like the mini bars in hotel rooms in some boxes, while other boxes have full blown kitchens, with sinks, large refrigerators, microwaves and cupboard space for dishes, glasses, and silverware.

There are often two or more cable tv’s so you can either watch the game you are sitting at, another game, or a movie or cartoons or whatever if the game is boring and people are just socializing. It defeats the purpose of going to the game, but most folks I’ve gone with are not what i would call hard core fans. Plus, it’s great for the kids who are bored with an NFL game (they are terribly boring in person).

You are out of the weather if you want, or you can go outside through a sliding glass door and sit in the seats at the front of the box. These put you sort of in the crowd, but not exactly. You are separated from the “riffraff” usually by concrete and/or plexiglass.

It is a fairly sterile experience, but it is great for conducting business, or to take a family if you don’t want your kids exposed to swearing and food and/or beer being tossed about. The food is usually better and catered, although you have the ability to order from the stadium menu. You also get to order real food if you want some shrimp cocktail.

In many of the new stadiums, you don’t even have to go in with the peasants. You go to a special entrance, and this keeps you separated from the po’ folks and them from you, so even if someone sees you and wants to take you out for rooting against the home team, they can’t physically get to you.

All in all, a very relaxed way to watch a game, but it is very difficult to feel like punare part of the crowd when you are separated from them.

For all of the reasons you note, the NFL is, indeed, starting to see an attendance problem, at least in some markets. The televised game is just too good now, and the tickets have become stupid-expensive.

Not just tickets but parking, food and drinks. Then if you have any sense you should have a designated driver. Not to mention that the day becomes an all-day event that prevents you from getting anything else done.

About 20 years ago, I was a Bills season ticket holder for years and at one time or another have sat all over the stadium. From the corner of the upper deck (not as bad as it sounds except for the wind.) The end zone, (sucks, you have no depth perception, can’t tell if the running play was 1 yard or 10.) A quarter in a front row seat, (really sucked because of all the people milling about on the sidelines blocking your view.) My last season ticket seats were 12 rows up on the 32 yard line. Loved them.

Under the upper deck is nice. I once went to a Monday night game against the Raiders and sat there. Raining like hell and we took our coats off and were comfy. The waiting list is years long for those. Grey haired fans as far as the eyes could see, lots of polite golf claps. As a couple of screaming 20 year olds we were a little out of our element.

Didn’t sit in a box, but once in the row up backing up to them. The company my friend worked for owned the box and the four or six seats in front of it. The best part was the food. During the game we were handed food out the window. Shrimp cocktails, a plate of pot roast and potatoes, and hot apple pie for desert. The guy next to me kept looking and looking, and finally asked where the hell did the full dinner come from? Nice time.

Now that I’m older and grumpier that’s the only way I see going to a game again. That and if the team were to stop sucking so bad. I could maybe drag myself to a playoff game.