Watchmen (and Transformers?!) Movies

Here is the latest from Ain’t it Cool News - apparently a Watchmen movie is getting the green light with Darren Aronofsky (at one point positioned to do Batman: Year 1 while Christopher Nolan did another Batman movie - guess which won out?) at the helm.

There is also news of a Transformers movie in the offing - while my 6 1/2-year-old son may getting excited about this one, I find myself neutral-whelmed - but apparently Spielberg and Zemeckis may have something to do with it, which I find mildly amusing…

Personally, I still wish Pixar would spin off a Dramatic Film division (can’t call it Mature or Adult - those words are too loaded vis-a-vis movies) and do a computer-animated version of the Watchmen - ohmigod, would that rock - and it would be the best medium with which to put Rorschach, Dr. Manhattan, Nite Owl, the Silk Spectre and the rest into motion…my $.02

I think a CGI Transformers movie could be pretty cool, if done right. Having said that, I doubt there’s any Hollywood producer out there who could do it right.

I’m a big-time Transformers junkie, but I still have a hard time wrapping my mind around the notion of a live-action movie done by Dreamworks and/or Steven Spielberg.

Supposedly, Frank “Megatron” Welker and Peter “Optimus Prime” Cullen are on board, which is a plus.

Greg’s Previews: all information on any movie even remotely in production.

Watchmen
Transformers

I’m not familiar with Watchmen, so I don’t know if any of that info is good or not. The Transformers movie is being done by someone who apparently has lots of respect for the old series, and wants to keep the movie true to that. I have high hopes, but I’m still a little wary.

I’d even be happy if they cast Gary Chalk and David Kaye, who’ve been voicing Optimus and Megatron since Beast Wars. Those guys are talented, you’ve gotta admit.

Watchmen cannot be translated film; get ready for a trainwreck if it happens. I personally hope it doesn’t.

Oh, sure. But if you’re gonna go old-school Transformers, you really can’t overlook Cullen and Welker.

I know from BotCon 2004 that Cullen’s really open to voice Optimus Prime again, to the point of making an exception to his current policy of not doing voices for “violent” characters.

I must be in the deluded minority that thinks a viable, coherent Watchmen adaptation can be made in a movie format. The movie would be about 3 and half hours long, you’d lose a bunch of the Minute Men references, almost all the details in the peripheral media (book excerpts, etc., the chapters on Doc Manhattan, the Comedian and Ozymandias’ journey of discovery --) but you could keep the main plot and resolution and even a ‘Tales of The Black Freighter mini-movie)’, you’d have an abbreviated Mars talk with Silk Spectre and Doc Manhattan… but I tyhink it could be done.