"Watership Down"-like Book with Badgers

It could be Incident At Hawk’s Hill. There are a few summaries in the link, to help you recognize if it’s the book you were thinking of.

Nope, don’t think that’s it, cichlidiot. Being born and raised on the Canadian prairies, I would have remembered reading a book set there.

I can’t speak for the OP, but my guess would also be Dunton Wood. Back when these books were the rage, Watership Down was the first big hit, and almost everybody I know who read it then went out and got Duncton Wood…

I read Incident at Hawk’s Hill when I was a kid. That was some crazy shit! I loved it.

Redwall isn’t in the same class of books as Watership Down, IMO. The former is a cutesy little “ooh, it’s fantasy, but with talking mousies!” book. The latter is a creepy bloody nightmarish myth of a book, one of my favorites.

Daniel

This just struck my funnybone, I’m going to use this the next time I discuss a book with a friend, heh. Sorry featherlou, I was hoping you’d have an answer, I’m curious to know the title now, too.

Agreed. available light made me read it to her once when she had the flu. At first I couldn’t stand this stupid book about a bunch of rabbits, but it snuck up on me after a while.

Exactly. At some point while you’re reading it, you realize, “Hey! This isn’t the least bit cute! In fact, these bunnies are fucked!” That’s when you’re hooked.

Daniel