Watership Down (new BBC/Netflix miniseries)

Anyone watch it yet? The book was my absolute favorite as a kid. I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m looking forward to it. The reviews are good so far, though I’ve seen lots of criticism of the animation style.

I thought it was very good, even touching at times. My fourteen year old - a big fan - loved it.

I did not know about this. Thank you for sharing. I will check it out!

I found it on Netflix the other day and watched the first 15 minutes or so (I didn’t have time for more). The voice acting was good, but yeah, the animation was crappy. The rabbits moved in a very jerky way. It reminded me of game animation, not movie or tv-level animation.

Excellent voice acting. Terrible animation.

Sometimes the rabbits looked like rabbits. Sometimes they looked like dogs. Or cats or hyenas or horses. One rabbit looked like a chipmunk in practically every scene she was in.

The dog, on the other hand, looked like a jowly man. Not sure if that was intentional.

At least the bird was a bird throughout (and capably voiced by Peter Capaldi).

I loved it. I didn’t think the animation was that bad at all, except for the dog. The dog was done horribly and really took away from the feel of the show.

Though, I will agree the animators also might have done well to study what rabbits look like, for a bit longer…

I saw a review on Youtube that went on and on about how the animated version from the 70’s was so much better and…I don’t know, I think they’re wrong. I really enjoyed watching this version of it and while it might not be exactly like the book, the places where it swayed didn’t seem to make a huge difference to me as far as enjoyment went.

I’ve only seen the first episode so far and it was okay. I agree with whoever said the rabbits looked odd. It was better than the other animated movie I saw a couple decades ago that was truly awful. But that’s faint praise. Watership Down was one of the books I read as a child that influenced my personality and informed who I still am. I hope that doesn’t sound like a weird thing to say, but I just really connected with it. I re-read it recently and loved it just as much as when I was a kid. It’s such a brilliant, beautiful work. I don’t think any film version can possibly match the book.

Does the miniseries cover basically the same plot arc as the book?

Are there does among the adventurers? One of the driving motivations in the book was that their little band (they are hrair, but few) is that they don’t have any females.

There is one. After they leave Cowslip’s warren and Strawberry comes with them. Well, Strawberry’s a doe now. I mean, I can see why they did it. To get some tension going between the bucks but I’ve heard that’s a big point of contention with a lot of fans.

Just finished it and I liked it a lot. I agree that the animation was below par with such high quality writing and voice acting, but I still enjoyed it a great deal.