Waze, inadvertently tested, won big last night

It sometimes amazes me that using the in-dash screen is somehow better then a properly mounted smartphone. It’s the same thing as long as it’s sized properly so you can make the casual glance to get the info you need.

Waze also allows voice input, and also a 3 finger tap or a wave infront of the camera to report things.

The feature about Waze I use regularly is sending an EAT which provides a live link to your current position. Accurate to a couple of metres.

Recently needed to pick my sons up from a sporting venue. We had a nominated pick up point which was my destination. It was appalling weather, wind and driving rain.
While their friends amongst a big crowd of people were standing out in the rain waiting to get their lift my boys were under shelter.
As I approached they ran out and got in, the car barely stopped.

I use google maps every day to and from work. I have a variety of possible routes, and traffic can get very heavy on one route while it’s manageable on others.

I do hate the fact that it often wants to send me off the highway and through the worst neighborhoods in Newark to save me 5 minutes. My car can’t take all those potholes. Google Maps is good because it generally shows multiple routes and the time difference, so I can see that going off highway will save 5 minutes and not 25 minutes, and choose accordingly.

Hmmm … I’m still rocking the iPhone 6. I could manage, but it sounds like Waze would be better for me on a larger, newer phone.

I think all the map programs do that, don’t they? I know Apple Maps and Google Maps both have “location sharing” options.

Same here about using Google/Waze/Apple Maps vs the built-in GPS. My wife’s Kia has the most awful looking GPS interface. It’s a pain in the ass to use. Luckily, Apple Play came with whatever technology package is on the car, so plug the phone in and I have access to all those on the screen. (I also think her Kia has user-updatable maps – there’s an SD card slot you can access–but I’ve never tried to update it, since I don’t use it.)

As for my 2014 Mazda 3,which does not have a TV-style display of any sort (my radio is just the standard one with segmented LCD display, like the car radios of the 90s). I have a phone mount that I put the phone in, connect it via Bluetooth or USB cord to the radio, and whenever there is an announcement from the app, the radio is interrupted and the announcement is played. Normally, I’m just streaming audio from my phone to my radio, anyway, so the announcement would come through regardless. But my car does have the capability of interrupting the regular radio when a navigarion alert comes from my phone.

If you eat a Power Pellet, they turn blue and you can eat them.

I tried Waze on my previous phone (Android OS). I found I rarely used it; but when I did use it I couldn’t turn it off. I’d close the app, and it would still talk to me. I think I might have liked the Android’s GPS better than the one on the iPhone (ISTR it would offer alternate routes and would vocalise ETA, and I don’t recall that happening on the iPhone), and I liked the speedometer app I had on it much better than the one on the iPhone; but it annoyed me that I’d have to restart to get Waze to shut up.

Sounds like you didn’t truly close the app, but rather had it running in the background. If you just hit the home button, it’s still running. I don’t have an Android, but it looks like there’s a similar process for closing apps on Android phones as iPhones. With iPhone, you tap the home button twice and it shows you screens of running apps. You have to swipe the ones you want closed away. With Android, it looks like you get a similar sort of task manager by holding down the home button.

This is very useful to me, as I often do want my maps applications still running in the background while having, say, a radio station app playing in focus on my phone. (Though usually I will have the radio station running in the background, and the map display in focus, of course. But not always.)

No, it wasn’t a case of just hitting the Home button. I actively closed the app, however it was done on the Android.

But that reminds me of an iPhone question. I guess I’ll start a thread…

One nice surprise is, even though I know where I’m going, I’ll still run Waze.

Once on a drive San Francisco ➞ Los Angeles I took US-101. Suddenly Waze told me to exit. I did and I was on a frontage road and then after a while I saw it, a bad accident and long traffic jam on 101. Saved by Waze!

That’s similar to my OP except in the OP our kids were the control and with them I could compare directly, 1:30 for us versus 2:00 for them.

Amen to that. On my recent sojourn back to South Bay I drove over the hill to Santa Cruz – DesertRoomie wanted some seashells and several sources said a shop in Capitola had by far the best selection. I took 9 there and 17 back in order to get some variety in the scenery. It was a weekday so I figured returning beach traffic would not be a factor. One thing I had not counted on were the three construction stops on 9. I just went Zen and enjoyed looking at the trees while waiting for the pilot car to get back.

Some years ago a buddy and I were headed from Phoenix to Napa for a retreat. We’d left to time the passage through the Los Angeles basin at 2am to minimize delays* and were blissfully headed west on I-10 when my Garmin navigator said to take I-215 north. We looked at each other in confusion a moment then said, “Okay.” The navigator led us to I-15, then CA-138 through Palmdale, Lancaster, and across Antelope Valley to drop us off on I-5 just short of the summit at Ft. Tejon – avoiding the basin all together.

At one point I said, “I’m putting total faith in technology because I have no idea where we are.” It’s never gone that route since, preferring I-10 to I-210 to I-5 skirting the north edge of the basin, but fuck that shit.

*Not always successfully. One time I was stuck not moving for a half-hour while some mess or other was cleaned up.

If I want to go somewhere, I hold down the button on the phone until it’s listening; then I say where I want to go, and it returns an option to click on Directions. I do that, and GPS guides me to my destination. I didn’t know Waze was also a GPS navigator. Generally, I know where I’m going. If I don’t, I’m used to just talking and getting the guidance. I’m not sure what Waze does that’s better than that. Except for one thing…

Sometimes I want to know what the holdup is. It’s 115 miles from my office to my house, and I get itchy if the drive takes more than 2.5 hours. With Waze, I could scroll up to see where the blockage is. But for the most part, it seemed like Waze required too much attention and scrolling and stuff when I was driving.

Huh. Interesting. Sounds like some sort of bug. Not sure how or why it would still be running if you properly killed the task, but I’m not familiar with the Android OS. At any rate, that’s not the way it’s supposed to work, and I’m sure it would have been fixed in an update, as that would piss everyone off.

It’s a moot point now anyway, since the LG died and I replaced it with an iPhone 6S.

Maybe I’ll give Waze another try.

Yeah, I’m not the biggest fan of Waze’s UI, but I do think other apps would also require similar scrolling. What I like about Waze is the user-reported content, as well as reminders of where speed and red light cameras are. I think Google maps has some of that content, as well, but Waze seems more complete.

This was helpful, thanks. I revisited settings and changed some of them, including setting my desired fuel type to diesel.

This. Who died in the wreck on 17? (Which is about the only thing I can think of that would make the delay that bad.)

Fun highway. Pretty views. Frightening in parts. Especially the areas of the median barrier that have a gazillion tire streaks and paint smears along them. I’d slit my wrists if I had to commute over it every day though.

I used to live off of Summit Road, at the top of 17. I commuted every day, rain or shine or black ice, to Santa Clara by motorcycle. Before the median divider was installed it was important to have painted arrows in the lanes to signal direction of traffic. After the divider was installed (that’s when I lived there) the arrows were still there but in the rain those arrows are very slippery.

It took a long time before I got comfortable, if that’s even the right word for it, on that highway by motorcycle in the daily commute traffic.

We were broke back then and could only afford one car. My wife, with the kids, used the car while I got a motorcycle as an economical way for me to get around. You do what you have to…

Wow. That exceeds my personal risk comfort. Glad nothing terrible happened to you during those rides. I’m sure you had a gorgeous location for your home though. Schools looked nice too, when I was there. We used to play SLV and Santa Cruz High all of the time.

I remember the arrows on pavement, but never realized what a PITA they’d be for wet traction on a bike.

It’s been forever since I’ve driven it, but I remember median barriers mainly on the northern part of the highway. There was a very long downhill, just south of the summit and the few restaurants, where it was wide open. I want to say two lanes in each direction, with a Mongo-sized middle turn lane. No median barrier. I guess it’s had a barrier installed now for its entire length?