We are not smart/savvy enough to work at a Walmart

Good god, that is absurd. Loaded questions all down the line with no real good answer.

To put anyone in such a situation that there is NO good answer is being nothing more than being a bully.

1: Ignore the situation. It has nothing to do with me.

2: Call my supervisor and tell him I won’t be able to attend the meeting, and that he should stop scheduling 30-minute meetings in the middle of the day with no warning. Also contact the customer, since apparently I’m already running late for some reason.

3: Talk to the customer and find out what the problem is, then decide on a course of action. Depending on the nature of the problem and answer could be valid.

4: This situation should have been dealt with long ago. Explain the issue to Terry, if he doesn’t improve alert a supervisor immediately. Immediately as in 6 months ago.

5: Depends entirely on the nature and urgency of the tasks, and why they haven’t been done. Impossible to answer.

6: I would do nothing, this matter is entirely in supervisor territory. I would, however, stop picking up the slack for him. That’s just dumb, and counterproductive in the long run.

Don’t worry about it. She dodged a bullet. Trust me. Been there, done that, would live under a bridge first before going back.

The key is to identify what the problem is and what choice addresses the problem:

The problem is Susan has a problem with your department. Answer: B - talk to Susan to straighten out the problem.

The problem is a customer needs information. Answer: A - tell your supervisor and then help the customer.

The problem is a customer has complaints. Answer: A - Help the customer with her complaints.

The problem is a supervisor assigned Terry to do something he probably won’t do well. Answer: B - Help Terry get the job done right. (C is wrong because the supervisor did tell Terry and not you to do the training.)

The problem is work isn’t completed. Answer: A - ask for help in getting it done.

The problem is an employee is hurting the department by coming to work late. Answer: D - educate the employee to fix the problem. (B is wrong because unfairness is subjective.)

You’re putting too much thought into it. All they want to hear is that you’ll always rat out a thief. Always. They just want to hear you say it. They know that even the thieves will say they never steal, but they want to hear them say it anyway. Just do it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never worked retail, but if the register is balanced only once, at the end of the day, then wouldn’t it suck to be the closing cashier? They’d find a five-dollar discrepancy and probably be fired, because they were without question going to spend the five on a loose reefer somewhere.

As for the marijuana questions, why would anyone who really wants to work there answer yes?

That is the exact test I took for Publix. I passed it with flying colors but it’s because I know what they were looking for. Ask the supervisor, ask the supervisor, ask the supervisor. Do nothing on your own.

My answers were:

1-C
2-A
3-B
4-D
5-A
6-A

No, it specifically said, “You have failed the evaluation.” Or something to that effect. What surprised me was I’d have expected them to say something generic like “We don’t have any openings for you but we’ll keep you in mind should something open up in the future” or something like that.

No pot or alcohol or drug questions of any kind.

In each case, my daughter answered to the effect of “never, under any conditions.” I wondered if they found those answers too unrealistic to be true.

This is what I kind of hoped she’d find out for herself. I had a factory job one summer that made me miserable enough to go to college the next semester. But I’m sure there are enough awful jobs to go around that she’ll find one sooner or later.

I can’t believe that the people I’ve seen working at Walmart have been able to pass this test, unless they just picked answers randomly.

Either I’m better at bullshitting my way through these tests or Borders has a different way of handling applicants. I had filed an online application at Borders a few years ago and after providing the expected resume-type info I had to fill out a multiple-page tests that sounded a lot like the ones described here. When I was done I wasn’t told one way or another how well I had done, but was just told that my application would be kept on file for 90 days and I would be contacted if they had any openings. Never heard from them, but the next time I was in the store I asked and found out that they hadn’t had any openings. I’m thinking of trying again, although from the way the store has been down-sizing over the past few months I’m not very hopeful.

When I took mine at W-M years ago, I was red-flagged for one of my answers and the supervisor came over and asked me to explain why I answered what I did.

The question was something like “if someone was caught stealing, should they be publicly shamed for it?” I wrote no. My explanation was that while the thief should be held accountable and shouldn’t be hushed up, I’d stop short of a scarlet T and the test didn’t allow for subtlety.

I was told that the test was also partially based on how consistent your answers were. Inconsistent answers indicated liars, and they didn’t want liars.

Many years ago I applied for a job with the Australian Customs Service and had to do a similar personality test, which involved a lot of questions about marijuana use.

I’ve never touched the stuff in my life, but most of the drug-related questions were of the “Have you stopped beating your wife?” variety, either with no “I do not use/have never used drugs” option or worded in such a way that it appeared to be taken as read that everyone has used weed at some point (“When did you last take a prohibited drug?”; there was no “Never” answer) and anyone who hasn’t was lying.

I understand that you want more for your daughter than a minimum-wage job. But working at Walmart is an honest living, and there are good people who work there.

Apparently a bunch of fuckin’ geniuses, which is what passing this test requires.

Uh, I don’t know anything about the test - I wasn’t commenting on it. I guess you’re right if you’re suggesting my comment was off topic.

He wasn’t suggesting anything at all about your comment.

Are you sure? :stuck_out_tongue:

If you thought the test was hard, you’d be amazed at the interview. All three of them, actually.

I, too, often wondered how some of my co-workers managed to get hired.

Why do you need to be a genius to pass this test? luv2draw is correct. The test is designed to weed out smart, ambitious, confident, self-starter types. Look, some jobs just need a replaceable carbon blob to perform them. Management doesn’t want people who will alter the processes and polices established by corporate. They don’t want delicate, frustrated geniuses who will constantly ask for more this and more that or quit for a better deal. They want people who will do exactly as they are told and grab a supervisor as soon as there is a deviation because that’s all the job requires. The fact that most of us aren’t those people is why we don’t work at Walmart.

I didn’t mean it to sound like I think all Walmart employees are losers. Some of them are perfectly normal, friendly people. But none of them look like they are better qualified to not completely fail an initial psych evaluation test than my daughter with my (evidently inept) input.

I remember that about 15 years ago, I refused to apply for a job at a company that required a personality test, on moral grounds. Things have sure changed.

You should see the online application in general. I have to help patrons with it all the time - there’s a bajillion security questions, for one thing. It’s very difficult - essentially impossible - for people without computer skills if there isn’t a friendly librarian with forty five minutes to kill hanging over your shoulder. On a busy day, forget it.