We don't have an EPL thread?

They only made it out of their group last year based on goals for. Then they get a lucky draw against Dortmund and beat both Man City and Ajax on away goals where they were the worse team in both series. They’re currently in 14th!

A lucky Cinderella run last year doesn’t erase the fact that they’re trash this season.

Beat Newcastle and they’re in fifth place.

“Well they didn’t beat Newcastle”…yeah and “Worse team in both series” = “Better team in the one stat that matters”

They beat the first place team and the team that beat Juventus and Real Madrid.

If Spurs don’t get Mourinho, this Gunners fan would be glad to let them have Unai Emery :slight_smile:

Cool story bro.

Reports are that Spurs brass are negotiating with Mourinho at this very moment. This should be…interesting.

I know it makes me look like I’m butthurt and a Spurs fan but I’ve got one snark left and then I’ll drop it

“Enjoy your 12th place finish under Jose Spurs, while Poch is at Barca.”

These would be two horrible hires. Mourihno destroys teams and has slid into Hitlerian paranoia. Jose Mourinho: The inside story of how his Man United tenure unravelled - ESPN Poch hasnt shown that he is ready for the pressure of a high profile job like Barca.

Well, looks like the Mourinho era at Spurs is underway. I predict this will not be remembered as a good decision, but COYS! And good luck to Poch, wherever he ends up next.

PS From what I’ve heard, Pochettino internalized hatred of Barca while playing for Espanyol and would never consider that job even if they wanted him.

Ahhh…Manu?

Mourinho in at Spurs. That was fast.

I wonder if they’ll let him spend over the summer. I can see a lot of frustration there, both ways.

If Mourinho makes it work, Man U are going to look like fools.

If it werent for his second spell at Chelsea I would agree. Also, starting in November, Mourinho wont have the time to implement his park the bus style of play on Totty. This is a poor match of a defensively minded coach with an offensively minded bunch of players.

Mourinho is a money spender. Not even Man U was willing to give his the cash he wanted, and they overpaid for what they got (Pogba). His great success was when he bought everyone in the first Chelsea run, and can’t be repeated because Man City bought everyone after that… Spurs are not going splash that cash…

He’ll just win a few games at the start, buy far too expensive players, and then fall out with them. The dressing room will hate him, and he’ll be fired again.

I think he’s a vastly overrated one trick pony. I think Wenger gets much more out of his players, if only they didn’t use his teams as training Academies…

I dont think Levy will let him break the budget. Unless he unloads the stars like Kane and Erickson.

His one trick is winning trophies, which is not a bad one to have - indeed I’d say it was impossible to vastly overrate that but each to their own. Poch is great, obviously, but he hasn’t won a carrot - in the time he’s been at Spurs (winning nowt), Mou has won the league, two league cups, and the Europa league - two of those tophies with a comedy Utd outfit.

I’d bet on Mourinho bringing silverware to Spurs, although hard to see beyond the cups. You’d say Levy and Mourinho certainly has potential for a complete meltdown but both men are far from stupid. Mou has to know he can’t piss Levy’s money away buying one great player for every ten dross transfers, and Levy has to know that you either back Mourinho or there’s no point employing him in the first place. They’ll reach an accommodation.

No his trick is winning trophies with a massive budgets, and even that, he’s not that great on winning decent trophies on those with a massive budget. Nobody gives a crap about the FA Cup of the community shield, the leagues and European football are important, and it was Spanish league in 2012, Premier league in 15, Europa league in 16 (though that is arguably a losers cup).

ManU and Spurs did not and have not hired him to win the community Shield. He might. But it wasn’t what ManU wanted with that cash.

In which case he’s not going to last long. Spurs are not happy they’ve faded at the end of the last few seasons, and I’d say that that was they want to change.

The battle in recent years has been between Money (Man City, Chelsea), and good use of Money (Liverpool and Spurs) with Man U in the middle. It seems that good use of it is winning. I think Spurs have made a massive mistake here though, like I think Arsenal did with Wenger (and that’s showing now).

Still, it’s all making it interesting. Leicester might be the wildcard again though…

Mourinho won two European trophies with Porto including the only “non-massive budget” CL win in the past 20 years. Weird argument to say he can only win with massive budgets when nobody wins without massive budgets. Unless, I guess, you want to say that Ranieri and Simeone are the only good coaches in the world.

Imagine how good they would be if they still had Kante, Mahrez and Maguire? The results that Leicester have achieved over the last few years should be studied and imitated. Hiring Mourinho is an anti-Leicester move.

That Mourihno disappeared after his first stint at Chelsea. Ranieri and Simeone are the only genius managers in the world. Also, Dortmund beat Juventus in 1997 without a massive budget.

And how many years ago is 1997?