We evict our tenant this morning

I’ve been a landlord for over 20 years. I’m a pretty soft touch and I’ve paid the price for it. If you try to make the tenants live up to the agreement, they call you a mean SOB, if you try to cut them some slack, they run it into the ground. They do a lot of shopping at the local convenience store, instead of shopping wisely at a discount supermarket. They frequently buy fast food, even have pizza delivered, but they cry the blues when it comes time to pay the rent. Sure, I feel bad about evicting someone w/ kids, but the bottom line is that I’m not in the charity business, but if I let these suckers get away w/ ignoring their reponsiblities, I’ll lose what I’ve worked for and I’ll be the one looking for the charity.

Eeeeewwwww!

That’s disgusting! :vomit:

I’m also shocked that you’re trying to salvage those linens and the mattress under which you found the double-ended dildo. I’d consider them irredeemably defiled, and get rid of them and get new ones.

Dang right, preach it, baby!

You are spot on.

Exactly I would hope that any landlord that rents out a furnished place would go by the rule that if they wouldn’t sleep on it why should the new tenants?

And if I had to take pubic hair off with a lint brush then there is no way I would use that, no matter how many times it was put in the wash.

Sigh. . . the ole “they eat pizza! they buy Pepsi Cola at the 7-11! I even saw them once with a box of twinkies! Yet they can’t afford ______________” argument.

I hate that argument. It is elitist.

Not when it’s someone who owes YOU money.

I’ll point out for the sake of argument that what appears to be pubic hair may in fact be chest or beard hair. My husband is a wookiee and sheds a fair amount of chest/facial hair. I haven’t seen your ex-tenant shirtless though, so I don’t know. :wink:

Don’t feel that bad for them.

My mother had some tenants with a similar situation. Young couple with young kids. She had to evict them for, among other things, nonpayment of rent.

It turns out that the husband was dealing dope out of the house (which my mother suspected but couldn’t prove, and which could’ve cost her the house). The couple had also had run-ins with the police and with Child Protective Services on more than one occasion. Because of the husband’s “job”, the wife could not keep a good enough job that could provide a living wage and benefits.

My mother bent over backwards to make sure the kids were provided for, if nothing else. She gave the wife rides to the county offices to get signed up for WIC, food stamps and Medicaid. She tried to arrange for day care so the wife could get a job. She still had to evict them.

Private landlords aren’t in the business of operating a social-service agency. ivylass’s tenants had the choice of being responsible tenants by paying the rent and taking care of the property. They didn’t. ivylass had no other choice but to evict them. They made their bed, now they have to lie in it.

Robin

Boo hoo, they got kicked out of their home. If they had’ve kept their noses clean, then it wouldn’t be an issue, would it? You breach your lease, it’s breached and you have to deal with the consequences, including eviction.

When you’re renting, you are using *someone else’s *property. You sign an agreement with certain standards of behaviour and terms. You break something, you get it fixed, or you tell the landlord so they can fix it and ensure it doesn’t get broken further. Most leases will have a ‘non disruption’ type of clause. If you’re rude/disruptive to the neighbours, and they complain to the land agent/owner, you can be kicked out. That’s what happens when you’re leasing from a private agent.

Just as an aside, Ivylass, if a tenant breaks something and gets the 7 day notice to repair, but then contacts you and says they can’t afford it, do you work with them to perhaps repair it on your own dime, and then charge them another, say, $20 a week or whatever until it’s paid off. That’s providing, of course, that they hadn’t already broken a whole heap of other lease conditions/property…

If they had been upfront and honest with us, we would have worked with them. Our ad clearly stated no pets, and when they signed the lease they agreed to pay a pet deposit for an “elderly Pomeranian” that we would refund if they got rid of the dog within 30 days.

They said they did get rid of the dog, and were quite insistent that we refund them the pet deposit, to the point that they gave us their bank account number to depoist the money. We did this.

A few months later we discovered that they never had an elderly Pomeranian, that they had a much larger dog, and when we confronted them they admitted it and said they had just gotten this new dog. The children were sneaking out after the property office closed to walk the dog so no one “official” would see them, but of course, they were seen every now and then. Again, having a dog is a violation of their lease agreement. This, coupled with the fact that we were getting weekly calls from the management that the residents were complaining about them just brought things to a head. The failure to replace or repair was the reason for the eviction that was supplied to the court, but it was by no means the only reason.

Exactly.

I doubt they’re at a homeless shelter. The parents both work. To paraphrase another Doper, we didn’t evict them. They evicted themselves. We just filled out the paperwork.

Regarding the linens…we are washing them ourselves, in hot water and bleach. I mean, you roll around and sweat and sleep and do the horizontal mambo with your SO in your sheets, and yet you reuse them after you wash them, right? The mattresses were professionally cleaned (I have the bill to prove it) and I think they will be fine. After all…how often are hotel room mattresses professionally cleaned? It may not be ideal, but it is the best we can do right now under the circumstances.

Look, I don’t wish them ill. But you pay a price trying to get away with stuff you know you shouldn’t.

May I point out that if one is living one step away from the street, one should take extra care to comply with and obey the lease, to make sure one does not end up on said street?

Instead, the children were disturbing and rude to the other residents, they violated their lease by having a dog, and they refused to fix damaged property. I don’t know about you, but when I’m walking a tightrope, I watch where I step.

Why is it elitist to point out that someone who has an important continuing obligation to you is making poor choices?

Sorry, let me try again.

Why is it elitist to point out that someone who has an important continuing obligation to you that they are failing to meet is making poor choices?

See, now that’s all fair enough. They lied about the dog, they were getting complaints from the neighbours - I’ve always been a renter, never a landlord, but if I were in your position I would have made exactly the same decision, I think.

They made their own bed, now they have to lie in it. Or lie in another bed, if they can get the references to ever rent another place…

Believe me, I would much rather that the tenants had worked out. As it is we’ve lost two months rent and have incurred expenses we would not normally have had. At some point you have to cut your losses and start over.

Here’s good renter wishes for your next tenants…

I work in rental property management, and I will say that 90% of all tenants are good. It looks like ivylass got stuck with the other 10%.

First of all, having a place to live should be your top priority. Not fast food, not pet food, not cigarettes. NOTHING is more important than keeping a roof over your head (and that goes double for your children). When you sign a lease, you are signing a legal contract. If you break it, it’s grounds for eviction.

About the dildo: When tenants are evicted, we often find such things. I think they deliberately leave them there just to “shock” the landlord. We once kept a box of all such items we found in vacant apartments for a year. It doesn’t even faze us anymore.

At the end of the day, a landlord-tenant relationship is a business relationship. There are obligations on both sides, and if one side fails to meet its obligations, it’s usually the end of the business relationship. I don’t feel the least bit bad about these tenants. They were willfully violating the rules of the contract, and had every reason to think they’d be kicked out. I’m sure it’s not the first time, and it won’t be the last.

I got a laugh reading this. Where’s your imagination?? :cool:

I’m sure most everyone here owes someone money (credit cards, mortgage, car loan, etc.) So I guess we should all be eating ramen noodles?