We Own This City: The Wire the New Generation

So, has anyone else watched the first episode of “We Own This City”?

It’s a new HBO miniseries from a lot of the guys who made The Wire. As per Wikipedia:

We Own This City is an American miniseries based on the nonfiction book of the same name by Baltimore Sun reporter Justin Fenton. The miniseries was developed and written by George Pelecanos and David Simon, and directed by Reinaldo Marcus Green. The six-episode series premiered on HBO on April 25, 2022.[1]

It really does feel like The Wire TNG, not the least because it recycles probably half the cast. It’s like, “Damn, Poot and Marlo became cops? And Jay Landsman is the new Commissioner? I did not see that coming!”

So far the first episode was pretty good. They’re doing a jumping back and forth in time kind of format, and it’s based on real-life events. I’m not sure how closely they’re sticking to the history, but there’s definitely a “ripped from the headlines” feel to it.

If you are a fan of The Wire, it’s worth checking out.

Just so I understand, they’ve created a Wire-adjacent show that also includes Jon Bernthal? I’m in!

In the first episode, he’s kind of a mixture of The Punisher and Late-season Detective Carter.