Wearing engagement and wedding rings stacked on ring finger - new trend?

Adding to the ancedote pile: my Mom (married in '68) wears and always wore her rings this way too.

Caaaaaaaake!

Same with my grandfather – he was a deliverary man for a dairy, and since he used to deliver those big metal tubs of ice cream (you know, the ones you see at ice cream parlors), he had to worry about catching his ring on the lip of the tub.

And my dad hasn’t worn his ring for a while now, since it doesn’t fit – he needs to get it resized, and he just hasn’t got around to it.

heh - my understanding was that for those that work around machinery, the greatest risk was not to sever the ring finger, but to have the ring strip the flesh from the finger. Pretty much the same thing, but seeing a finger with only bone would be a “different” experience

I understand my parents’ families (she Catalan, he Navarrese) had a sort of meltdown over what hand to wear the rings on. Their engagement gifts had been a watch (for him) and a bracelet (for her), but not only were wedding bands worn on opposite hand in both regions, both regions had this custom where one of the possible engagement gifts was the wedding bands - to be worn in “the other hand” and moved during the wedding. Several of their siblings did this, for example.

Eventually Dad wore it on the right, as was customary where they lived; Mom switched it around depending on what other rings she was wearing until recently (she now wears the two wedding bands of a widow and age has made it so they only fit on the left).

yes.

That’s why I suspect a spammer, and will be reporting it.

I would have done so as well if the links provided actually went anywhere. It could be that we have an incompetent spammer, or just a legitimately clueless individual who wants internet strangers to pick a wedding ring.

Note: I removed a spam post, and also the quote of it in this post.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

My wife picked out her rings (we went shopping together, but she didn’t know that I’d actually bought the one she liked). She wore the engagement part, with the big center stone, until the week before we were married. Then, we took both rings back to the jeweler, who “soldered” (the word he used rather than “welded”) them together. I put the soldered set on her at the wedding, the first time she wore them together. For the time she was without her ring, she wore her grandmother’s wedding ring.

From the time my wife put my ring on my finger, I never took it off. My original wedding ring wore out pretty quickly; the finish scratched up and looked awful, and it was kind of a rush decision anyway. So, before our fifth anniversary, I bought a ring I liked, and on our anniversary we went back to the Vegas chapel where we were married, and she took off my old ring and put on my new one. The new ring is tungsten carbide, has a nice heft to it, and looks just as shiny as the day I bought it; I couldn’t scratch this thing with a saber saw.

exactly. i see more women with engagement ring on left hand, wedding ring right hand.

Mom’s worn them both on her left ring finger since 1963. Brooklyn-born.

My mother and both my grandmothers always wore the engagement ring with the wedding ring - the wedding ring goes on first so it is closer to the heart.

I worked with a Russian girl, many many years ago. She said the custom in her neck of the woods was for women to wear a plain band on the left ring finger as an engagement ring and it would be transferred to the right hand during the wedding ceremoney.

Someone more knowledgeable might correct me here but my understanding for welding the rings is to prevent them rubbing on each other and wearing down – a particular problem if one of the rings is harder than the other due to composition.

I personallly like the first and your take on the whole promises scheme is a good idea =]