Week 12 CFB -- Which AP Top 25 team(s) will lose?

This might make for some fun analysis by anyone really interested. Query: Which FCS team – over the past 20 years – has the best record against FBS teams?

At least one source for that information is Welcome cfbdatawarehouse.com - BlueHost.com although there must be something easier to search.

Before Appalachian St. (NC) dismantled Michigan a few years ago – and has since moved to FBS – there must be some other noteworthy exceptions to your general rule.

Does anybody have a better source for such things?

This may be an easier source to check: http://www.footballgeography.com/history-of-fbs-i-a-vs-fcs-i-aa/

There you go. Just looking at the weaker teams of FBS, let’s say all teams from non-P5 conferences, they win at an 80% clip against FCS teams. I think it’s more than fair, then, to say that the weaker P5 teams are several notches above FCS teams.

I suspect you’re correct on the issue as a whole. However, I’d like to see the overall record of such things, if it exists already. I’m not curious enough to crunch the numbers myself, though. After all, the fact that there are two divisions must mean something other than a convenient split.

Nevertheless, it’s educational to look at Sagarin’s ranking of both divisions’ schools at College Football Ratings Page
to see that the highest ranked AA team is
61 North Dakota State AA = 71.66
and the lowest ranked A team is
193 Charlotte A = 39.99
and that there are over 130 teams between those extremes (from both divisions).

Unfortunately there are not all that many matchups each year to put the issue to a real test. So we are left looking at external guesswork and opinions to try to arrive at something meaningful. That’s why they play games, I suppose. :slight_smile:

Is it too late to make changes to my picks? If not I’d like to switch my Wisconsin pick to Northwestern.

No, not too late. I’ll fix it.

As for the “Too Late” issue, I’ll freeze where things stand as of Noon Saturday which will cover these games:

======================
12:00 PM EST
(12) N. Carolina @ Virginia Tech

12:00 PM EST ESP2
Purdue @ (6) Iowa

12:00 PM EST ABC
(14) Michigan @ Penn St.

12:00 PM EST SECN
Florida Atlantic @ (8) Florida

It will still be possible to vote in the poll until

but I’ll keep score based on the latest version of

UPDATING:

================================================================================================================================================================================================
                                     @@@          ###                   $$$          @@@    ###  $$$                                     ***               %%%    %%%  &&&   &&&            *** 
                              Clem  OHSt  Bama  OKState  NotDam  Iowa  Okla  Flor  MichSt  Bayl  TCU  NorCar  Hous  Mich  Stan  FLState  LSU  Utah  Navy  NWest  Wisc  USC  Oreg  WashSt  Missis
                              ==================================================================================================================================================================
Barkis is Willin'           7       OHSt        OKState                Okla                                                                   Utah        NWest             Oreg          Missis
basset hound                6       OHSt        OKState                                          TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
BigAppleBucky               8                   OKState  NotDam                    MichSt        TCU                Mich                 LSU              NWest             Oreg
BobLibDem                  10       OHSt  Bama  OKState  NotDam        Okla  Flor                                   Mich                 LSU                     Wisc       Oreg
dba Fred                    7       OHSt                                                   Bayl  TCU                      Stan                            NWest        USC                Missis
Death of Rats              (6)                                                     MichSt (Bayl) TCU                                     LSU              NWest             Oreg 
DinoR                      (7)      OHSt       (OKState)                                         TCU                Mich                 LSU              NWest        USC
DMC                        (6)                 (OKState)                           MichSt        TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
Jackmannii                  6        ()         OKState                 ()           ()           ()  NorCar                                        Navy  NWest        USC                Missis
Kitten Mitten               5       OHSt  Bama                          ()                 Bayl   ()                Mich        FLState   ()               ()     ()    ()   ()             () 
Nauplius                   (6)                  OKState                            MichSt        TCU                                                     (NWest) (--)  USC                Missis
Oakminster                  6                                                      MichSt  Bayl  TCU                                     LSU              NWest        USC
Oredigger77                 6                   OKState                            MichSt        TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
txtumbleweed                7       OHSt        OKState                Okla                                         Mich                 LSU              NWest        USC 
Wolverine                   6                                          Okla        MichSt  Bayl                                                           NWest        USC                Missis
Zeldar                      6                   OKState                            MichSt        TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
Zyanthia                    6                   OKState                Okla        MichSt                                                                 NWest             Oreg          Missis
                              ==================================================================================================================================================================
                              Clem  OHSt  Bama  OKState  NotDam  Iowa  Okla  Flor  MichSt  Bayl  TCU  NorCar  Hous  Mich  Stan  FLState  LSU  Utah  Navy  NWest  Wisc  USC  Oreg  WashSt  Missis
                              =======================================================================================================================================================================
    17                   (111)  0     7     2     (12)     2       0     5     1      9    (5)    10     1      0     5     1      1      6     1     1    (15)   (1)    7     9      0      10  /(111)
=====================================================================================================================================================================================================

Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17

===================================

I had no idea that UNC Charlotte was in FBS. For what it’s worth, the lowest ranked P5 team, according to Sagarin, is Kansas at 135. And the next lowest P5 team, because Kansas is monumentally terrible, is Oregon State at 104.

Another thing that I’m too lazy to do (and that I mentioned elsewhere) would be to take each of the conferences/divisions and find the differences between their highest and lowest teams (Sagarin numbers) and use those numbers to “rank the conferences” for some “gee whiz” speculation. Anybody want to do such a thing? For kicks and/or bragging rights?

I want to pick Arizona State to lose, I know they’re not in the Top 25 but they were; and they’re playing Arizona who also isn’t in the Top 25 but they also were.

How would you propose we score your picks? Add them to your others? If so, I’ll adjust your final score by -1 if AZ State wins, and +1 if they lose. That work for you?

Just for the record (and for all to consider) there’s a list of upsets for this year at

Can I wait till after the game to say if I accept your proposal?:smiley:
And long as my outside-the-lines pick won’t affect the big payout at the end of the contest (wouldn’t want the other players mad at me), your scoring proposal works for me.

Well, since we’re mostly dealing in Pride Points and no money (that I’m aware of) and since you stand to lose as much as you’ll gain for the extra game, I can’t see the harm.

In the interest of fair play, if others want the same option of picking other games this week, with the +/- points to be considered, and want to post that request by NOON today, I’ll try to oblige.

The season is winding down and the bloom is off the rose by now, so I’m open to ways to spice up the action. Maybe another thread is the place to deal with it, but are there any suggestions/requests for the Bowl Season this time? Here’s how it played out last year:

Pick the WINNERS in the Dec/20 CFB Bowl Games                                Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. This poll is closed 
Pick the WINNERS in the Dec/22-24 CFB Bowl Games                             Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. This poll is closed
Pick the WINNERS in the Dec/26-27 CFB Bowl Games                             Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 12. This poll is closed
Pick the WINNERS in the Dec/29-30 CFB Bowl Games                             Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. This poll is closed 
Pick the WINNERS in the Dec/31-Jan/1 CFB Bowl Games                          Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. This poll is closed
Pick the WINNERS in the Jan/2-Jan/4 CFB Bowl Games                           Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. This poll is closed
Pick the WINNER in the Jan/12 CFB Bowl Game                                                        Voters: 33. This poll is closed

As you can see, the participation was mild by comparison to the Regular Season. :slight_smile:

Here are the final votes (including the () adjustments):

======================================================================================================================================================================================================
                                     @@@          ###                   $$$          @@@    ###  $$$                                     ***               %%%    %%%  &&&   &&&            ***   xtra
                              Clem  OHSt  Bama  OKState  NotDam  Iowa  Okla  Flor  MichSt  Bayl  TCU  NorCar  Hous  Mich  Stan  FLState  LSU  Utah  Navy  NWest  Wisc  USC  Oreg  WashSt  Missis  AZSt
                              ========================================================================================================================================================================
Barkis is Willin'           7       OHSt        OKState                Okla                                                                   Utah        NWest             Oreg          Missis
basset hound                6       OHSt        OKState                                          TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
BigAppleBucky               8                   OKState  NotDam                    MichSt        TCU                Mich                 LSU              NWest             Oreg
BobLibDem                  10       OHSt  Bama  OKState  NotDam        Okla  Flor                                   Mich                 LSU                     Wisc       Oreg
dba Fred                   (8)      OHSt                                                   Bayl  TCU                      Stan                            NWest        USC                Missis (AZSt)
Death of Rats              (6)                                                     MichSt (Bayl) TCU                                     LSU              NWest             Oreg 
DinoR                      (7)      OHSt       (OKState)                                         TCU                Mich                 LSU              NWest        USC
DMC                        (6)                 (OKState)                           MichSt        TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
Jackmannii                  6        ()         OKState                 ()           ()           ()  NorCar                                        Navy  NWest        USC                Missis
Kitten Mitten               5       OHSt  Bama                          ()                 Bayl   ()                Mich        FLState   ()               ()     ()    ()   ()             () 
Nauplius                   (6)                  OKState                            MichSt        TCU                                                     (NWest) (--)  USC                Missis
Oakminster                  6                                                      MichSt  Bayl  TCU                                     LSU              NWest        USC
Oredigger77                 6                   OKState                            MichSt        TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
txtumbleweed                7       OHSt        OKState                Okla                                         Mich                 LSU              NWest        USC 
Wolverine                   6                                          Okla        MichSt  Bayl                                                           NWest        USC                Missis
Zeldar                      6                   OKState                            MichSt        TCU                                                      NWest             Oreg          Missis
Zyanthia                    6                   OKState                Okla        MichSt                                                                 NWest             Oreg          Missis
                              ========================================================================================================================================================================
                              Clem  OHSt  Bama  OKState  NotDam  Iowa  Okla  Flor  MichSt  Bayl  TCU  NorCar  Hous  Mich  Stan  FLState  LSU  Utah  Navy  NWest  Wisc  USC  Oreg  WashSt  Missis  AZSt
                              ===============================================================================================================================================================================
    17                   (112)  0     7     2     (12)     2       0     5     1      9    (5)    10     1      0     5     1      1      6     1     1    (15)   (1)    7     9      0      10    (1) /(112)
=============================================================================================================================================================================================================

Notre Dame is losing tonight.

Do I really believe that? No. But they’re playing my school.

Don’t let your dream be dreams.

:smack:

Too bad you didn’t factor in the officiating and stayed with Wisconsin.

Big Ten office to issue an apology on Monday.

Final Scores (second group sorted):

======================================================================================================================================================================================================
                                     @@@          ###                   $$$          @@@    ###  $$$                                     ***               %%%    %%%  &&&   &&&            ***   xtra
Barkis is Willin'        -1/7        +1            +1                   -1                                                                     +1           -1               -1             -1  
basset hound              0/6        +1            +1                                             +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
BigAppleBucky            -2/8                      +1      -1                        -1           +1                 -1                   +1                -1               -1 
BobLibDem               -2/10        +1    -1      +1      -1           -1    -1                                     -1                   +1                      +1         -1 
dba Fred                   (8)       +1                                                     -1    +1                      Stan                              -1          +1                  -1    (-1)
Death of Rats           -2/(6)                                                       -1    (-1)   +1                                      +1                -1               -1  
DinoR                   +3/(7)       +1           (+1)                                            +1                 -1                   +1                -1          +1 
DMC                     -2/(6)                    (+1)                               -1           +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
Jackmannii               -3/6       (--)           +1                   ()          (-1)          ()    -1                                           -1     -1          +1                  -1  
Kitten Mitten            -6/5        +1    -1                           ()                  -1    ()                 -1            -1    (--)              (-1)   (--) (--) (-1)           (-1)
Nauplius                 0/(6)                     +1                                -1           +1                                                       (-1)   (--)  +1                  -1  
Oakminster                0/6                                                        -1     -1    +1                                      +1                -1          +1 
Oredigger77              -2/6                      +1                                -1           +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
txtumbleweed             +1/7        +1            +1                   -1                                           -1                   +1                -1          +1  
Wolverine                -4/6                                           -1           -1     -1                                                              -1          +1                  -1  
Zeldar                   -2/6                      +1                                -1           +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
Zyanthia                 -4/6                      +1                   -1           -1                                                                     -1               -1             -1  
                              ===============================================================================================================================================================================
    17                   (112)  0     7     2     (12)     2       0     5     1      9    (5)    10     1      0     5     1      1      6     1     1    (15)   (1)    7     9      0      10    (1) /(112)
=============================================================================================================================================================================================================

DinoR                   +3/(7)       +1           (+1)                                            +1                 -1                   +1                -1          +1 

txtumbleweed             +1/7        +1            +1                   -1                                           -1                   +1                -1          +1  

basset hound              0/6        +1            +1                                             +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
Nauplius                  0/(6)                    +1                                -1           +1                                                       (-1)   (--)  +1                  -1  
Oakminster                0/6                                                        -1     -1    +1                                      +1                -1          +1 
Barkis is Willin'        -1/7        +1            +1                   -1                                                                     +1           -1               -1             -1  

Death of Rats            -2/(6)                                                      -1    (-1)   +1                                      +1                -1               -1  
DMC                      -2/(6)                   (+1)                               -1           +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
Oredigger77              -2/6                      +1                                -1           +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
Zeldar                   -2/6                      +1                                -1           +1                                                        -1               -1             -1  
BigAppleBucky            -2/8                      +1      -1                        -1           +1                 -1                   +1                -1               -1 
dba Fred                 -2/(8)      +1                                                     -1    +1                       -1                               -1          +1                  -1    (-1)
BobLibDem                -2/10       +1    -1      +1      -1           -1    -1                                     -1                   +1                      +1         -1 

Jackmannii               -3/6       (--)           +1                   ()          (-1)          ()    -1                                           -1     -1          +1                  -1  

Wolverine                -4/6                                           -1           -1     -1                                                              -1          +1                  -1  
Zyanthia                 -4/6                      +1                   -1           -1                                                                     -1               -1             -1  

Kitten Mitten            -6/5        +1    -1                           ()                  -1    ()                 -1            -1    (--)              (-1)   (--) (--) (-1)           (-1)

Cumulative Scores:

Total  Week 1  Week 2  Week 3  Week 4  Week 5  Week 6  Week 7  Week 8  Week 9  Week10  Week11  Week12                       
                        -----  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------  ------
Nauplius               +11/45    +1/3    +4/4    +1/5    +1/3    -1/5    +1/3    +1/5     0/2    +2/2    -2/4    +3/3   0/(6)      

RetroVertigo            +7/13    +3/3    +3/3     0/4    +1/3            

Barkis is Willin'       +6/53     0/1    +1/3    +3/5    +1/5    -1/5     0/4    +1/7    +1/5    +1/3  -2/(4)    +2/4    -1/7        

jsc1953                 +5/7     +2/4    +3/3        
bump                    +5/15    +2/4                            +2/6            +1/5   
basset hound            +5/45    +3/3            -1/5    +1/3    +4/6    -3/5     0/6     0/4    -1/3            +2/4     0/6     

yellowjacketcoder       +4/16    +2/4    +2/4    -1/5    +1/3      

tonyfop                 +3/5                                     +3/5     
Wolverine               +3/45    +2/2    +1/3    +2/4    -2/4    +3/7    +2/2    -3/5    -1/1    +2/2  +1/(5)     0/4    -4/6  

USCDiver                +2/26                     0/6    +1/3    -3/7    +2/4    +2/6                                          10         
Oakminster              +2/40    +1/3    -1/3    -2/4    +3/3    -1/(5)   0/2    +2/6    +1/1    -1/1    +1/3    -1/3     0/6  
txtumbleweed            +2/46    +3/3    +1/3    -3/5    -2/4    +1/5    -1/3     0/6             0/2    +1/5    +1/3    +1/7                

Chingon                 +1/2     +1/2                                     
astorian                +1/3             +1/3                           
Munch                   +1/21                            +1/5    -1/7                                     0/6    +1/3  
excavating (for a mind) +1/25    +1/5    +1/3    -1/5            +1/5    +1/3            -2/4 
DinoR                   +1/29                    +1/5    -3/3    -2/6                            +1/1     0/4    +1/3  +3/(7)     

hende                    0/1      0/1                                                                                          
zoog                     0/2      0/2                                                                                                                       
russian heel             0/3      0/3                                                                                           20 
Jman                     0/3              0/3                                                                             
Apex Rogers              0/4                      0/4
Sauron                   0/4                      0/4                  

BigAppleBucky           -1/13    +1/5                                                                                    -2/8      
Zeldar                  -1/51    +2/4    -1/3    -1/5     0/2    -2/6    +1/3     0/6    -1/5    +1/3    -1/5    +3/3    -2/6   

justmeetee              -2/1     -2/1                                                                                          
DMC                     -2/(6)                                                                                           -2/(6)    
MadTheSwine             -2/8                             -1/1                                           -1/(7)        
Death of Rats           -2/26    -3/3                            +1/5    -2/4    +3/5                            +1/3    -2/(6)  
dba Fred                -2/44            +2/4     0/4    -3/5            -1/3    +1/7     0/2    +2/2    -2/6    +1/3    -2/(8)  30         

Omar Little             -3/2             -3/2                           
Some Call Me... Tim     -3/3     -3/3
JohnT                   -3/17     0/4    -1/3    +1/5            -3/5  
Oredigger77             -3/45    -1/3     0/4     0/4    +2/4    -1/5     0/4    -3/5    -2/2    +1/1    +3/3     0/4    -2/6  
Zyanthia                -3/49    +1/3     0/4    +1/5    -1/3    -3/5    +1/3    -2/6    +2/2    -1/3    +1/5    +2/4    -4/6    

The Universe Lashes Out -4/6                                                                             -4/6 

Ranger Jeff             -6/1                                     -6/1    
Procrustus            (-6)/2                                             -2/1                                   (-4)1            
Kitten Mitten           -6/5                                                                                             -6/5  
Jackmannii              -6/7     -3/1                                                                                    -3/6     40    

The Stainless Steel Rat-10/20                            -1/3    -4/3                    -2/3    -3/5     0/6                  

BobLibDem              -21/75    -9/9    -1/9    -1/7    -4/4    +2/6    -2/8    +2/6    -4/4    -2/2    -1/5    +1/5   -2/10            

=============================================================================================================================
Total              Voters: 42
Week 1                     Voters: 25
Week 2                             Voters: 18
Week 3                                     Voters: 19
Week 4                                             Voters: 18
Week 5                                                     Voters: 20
Week 6                                                             Voters: 15
Week 7                                                                     Voters: 14
Week 8                                                                             Voters: 12
Week 9                                                                                     Voters: 13
Week10                                                                                             Voters: 15
Week11                                                                                                     Voters: 15
Week12                                                                                                             Voters: 17
=============================================================================================================================