Weigh Stations/Agricultural Stations? Whahuh?

I just reserved a 15’ truck from Penske, for our move. At the bottom of my little confirmation slip, among the usual warnings, legalities, and stuff, there’s a line that I’m wondering about:

You are required to enter all weigh and/or agricultural stations.

I am? I’ve never done an interstate move before…but I’ve also never seen your usual moving trucks in the weigh stations.

Weigh stations exists to inspect commercial trucking for safety, vehicle conditions and licensing requirements, among others.

For example, this is what I found with five seconds searching on Google.

"California Vehicle Code Section 2813 outlines who must stop at weigh stations and inspection stations:

"2813. Every driver of a commercial vehicle shall stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the size, weight, equipment, and smoke emissions of the vehicle at any location where members of the California Highway Patrol are conducting tests and inspections of commercial vehicles and when signs are displayed requiring the stop. Every driver who fails or refuses to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection when signs are displayed requiring that stop is guilty of a misdemeanor.

"California Vehicle Code Section 260 defines “commercial vehicle”:

“260. (a) A “commercial vehicle” is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.”

Source: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/weight/stopping.htm

When I moved interstate I contacted the various state DOT offices for clarification. While state laws vary, all said I was required to stop at every weigh/agricultural station for inspection. The reality was every weigh station waived me through when they found out I was moving myself.

Huh. I never knew that. Good to know.

I have gone thru the scales with a rental, in WV it is mostly a stop and go, doesn’t take a minute and the scales seem to be closed more than open.