Weightlifting advice

Ok, all you muscle-heads:

I’m really trying to change my body here. I’m going to the gym 4-6 times a week, and I need some advice.

I’d like to bulk some, and at the same time (if possible) drop 10 pounds of fat off my stomach. I have the idea that if I lift hard 3-4 times a week, and run a couple miles the other days, it should have a good effect.

Is this a good idea, or is there some faster way to my goals? I’m remembering to eat a slug of protein before or just after my lifting, so I think that’s starting to work. I’ve just been doing this for 2 weeks. Does anyone have a simply described program?

Also, I’ve been using weights that I can lift only 5-7 times until I just have to cheat, and doing three sets. I’ve been wondering if this is the best idea, and how long to wait before repeating a body part. I think I understand correctly that the soreness is due to the lactic (this is the wrong type, isn’t it?) acid in the muscle, which results from the anaerobic conversion of ATP or whatever. This means that the soreness doesn’t have to be gone before working again, right? The muscle can be recovered enough without the soreness gone, so can I work parts only, say, 4 days apart?

Come on, Tank, help out the squirrels around here.

What you’re doing sounds good, but you might want to drop a little weight, and do 8-10 reps/3 sets. Then, max out about every other week. YYMV, but I’ve found that too much “maxxing” can lead to pulled muscled and a big increase in soreness.

Normally I lift twice a week, Mondays is upper body, Wednesdays is lower body, and I follow up each day with 30 minutes on a treadmill or crosstrainer. Tuesdays and Thursdays I do 45-60 minutes of cardio, and Fridays, I try new techniques or max out. Don’t forget stomach crunches.

Keep us posted on your results!

There’s no “fast way” to achieve your goals. Goals worth achieving are worth working for and there are no short cuts. I’m not a bodybuilder, but I do weights every other day. Since I’m not interested in bulk, I do two sets of 10-15 reps for all the major muscle groups. You goals appear to be different, but if you’re interested in losing weight, more reps with lighter weights will better achieve those goals, as you will perform more work. Hence, expend more calories.

For your goal of weight loss you are absolutely going in the right direction. Running will burn the calories and increase your metabolism. As a possible side effect, however, you might find it difficult to “bulk up” as you put it.

My latest efforts and the ones that have been the most rewarding focus around a particular dies and excercise routine.

read “Protien Power” by michael Eades and Mary Eades. Everyone is getting turned on to this book where I work out (actually it has been building for a few years). The book is great and you can begin to notice benefits right away.

as for your lifting routines. I used to focus on a lot of reps and as much weight as I could pull off in three sets of tne to twelve and I was cut but never got any mass. My current workout is as follows (I’ll just use one example, but the technique is the same for every lift)

Biceps: 60# on a curl bar make the lift take three seconds (…1…2…3), lower the bar slowly over a four second period (…1…2…3…4). I’m not lifting my limit, and my reps usually are still of three groups ten but I take much longer on specific groups. What this dose is maximize my time and allow more days between specific muscle groups as to allow me time to recover and for new mass to form.

Now bear in mind I was doing creatine booster and protien drinks for a while prior to starting this routine and over a year I did get some mass gain and strength gain but I saw guys doing a lot better so I asked around and this routine is what most of them were doing. In the past year that I have been working this program I have added a bit over an inch to my arms and nearly that much to my pecs. I still use creatine stacks (my own mix) but i use a lot less than I was and have fewer hydration issues. I was using between 12 and 15 grams per pound of creatine a day and I’m now using about 5-7 grams per day I work out. I don’t follow the protien power dietary plan religeously (I still eat bread and dairy fats and I love vinegar and sea salt chips) but it is a good general guideline.

For more specific info just ask. I can even give you the details on my stack if you need it. but you have to buy in bulk or you get ripped off for the cost of the whey powder.

On Creatine Use

I just re-read my post and I thought it might be confusing.

“12-15 grams of creatine per pound” should read 12-15 grams of creatine per pound of body weight.

The same carries over to my current use of five to seven grams per day when I work out. It 5-7 grams per pound of body weigh that I take only on days I go to the gym and work out.

hope that is clear in case I was confusing previously.

I would recommend that you break up your workouts into about 4 distinct workouts. This way you will give yourself enough time for recovery. Start every workout by stretching to get warmed up and then proceed to the biggest mass building exercise per body part. For most exercises do three sets 8 to 10 reps. At the end of your workouts do more reps and more defining movements.

Day 1: Chest and Back
Day 2: Biceps and Triceps
Day 3: Shoulders and Traps
Day 4: Legs

You should do your abs and run as many times per week as you can. Take rest days whenever you need to. Also, make sure you get enough sleep and eat right. When you are in the gym, stay mentally focused on each exercise. Concentrate on exploding on the mass exercises and on stretching on the later exercises. If you stick with a good routine for 3 months you should see some major results. When you start to reach plateaus, change up the workout a little.