Weird Al in Oklahoma

Well folks, call me crazy, but I’m driving all the way to Oklahoma city in two weeks to see my idol of 17 years live in concert again. Last time he was in Dallas, I had my roommate’s 12-button accordion with me and a friend got Al to sign it, but it wasn’t mine and I didn’t get to meet him.

SOOOO… This time, I have my own 120-bass. I’m on a mission to meet the master of parody and polka, and he’ll sign my beautiful squeeze-box.

At the last show, I played along with him on Another One Rides the Bus… but the 120 bass is a bit large to haul into a packed concert hall. We’ll see what happens.

I can barely contain my bodily fluids.

Besure to check out the biggest ball of twine in Minnesota on your way.

For Weird Al stuff. I’m a huge fan, too. Have fun!
Zette

I saw Al last year in Phoenix and had a terrific time at the show. His stage show is elaborate and professional without being pompous. His are the kind of shows where the audience knows every word.

Yeah, and it really bugs me that everyone SITS DOWN for EVERY SONG. When I hear Al, I want to get up and jump around and dance and sing. I can’t sit on my ass while I’m that happy.

I’ve never understood it.

I still don’t understand it.

My SO is a Weird Al worshipper also, and it completely escapes me. I mean, yes, he’s funny, yes, it’s fun to listen to his music, but . . . I just don’t get the overwhelming affection certain people have for Al and his weirdness.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate him or anything, but it’s not like I’d go out of my way to listen to it, either. I’d never dream of going to an entire concert of Weird Al music. Can anyone explain this? I don’t imagine it can be explained, but I’m anxious to gain understanding if at all possible.

You’re not crazy - you’re lucky.

This guy just cracks me up. I especially like some of his original stuff, like “This is the Life” and “One More Minute.”

BTW, I understand that Polkamon is actually on the Pokemon 2000 soundtrack - what a rip!

Yeah, and they only played a small part of it in the credits of the movie, which was horrible by the way. The best thing about it was the hilariously gay James. The guy who did the voice said he decided to make him gay on purpose.

He even SAYS he’s gay, in so many words, in the movie. They’re talking about problems with the opposite sex, and James butts in with his extremly fruity voice to say, “and THAT’S the kind of trouble I stay out of.”

Edardina: You just don’t get it, that’s all there is to it. People don’t fall in love with Al for his parodies. They think the parodies are funny, buy his albums, and then realize that more than half of his songs are originals and that he’s (no joking or exaggeration) a musical genius. If you’ve ever sene him live, you know that it’s amazing just to WATCH him play the accordion while he sings. He never misses a note, and he plays very fast. I play accoridon, and trust me, it’s not easy to do all that he does.

My favorite Al song is either “You Make Me” or “I’ll Be Mellow When I’m Dead.”

Waa-hoo! Weird Al!

“You’re the woman that I’ve always dreamed of.
Well, not really. But you’re good enough for now.”

Either that or “The Night Santa Went Crazy.” Classics.

Gawd, I love the Rolling Stones Polka! It is enough to make milk come out of your nose!@

And anything from the UHF soundtrack.

O

vidi vici veni!

ACCORDIONS! As bad as Pokemon , or thalidomide. :rolleyes:
Just say “No” to kitzch.

I went to see Al with my co-worker- it was one of the best shows I’ve ever seen. I wouldn’t describe myself as a huge fan but I’ll definately catch his show again. And yes, his original stuff is funnier than the parodies.

I wanna hear it! Which album is it on?

A friend of mine saw Weird Al at out State fair and caught a pair of boxer shorts that Al threw out to the audience. I hate him.

I know that I said it in another thread, but I am pawning one of my children to see his show when he is in the Quad Cities!
I missed him the last time he was here for Bad Hair Day, and I will not miss him again!
My husband can’t stand him so he won’t be going. I am taking his ex-wife.
I have been looking high and low for his box set and haven’t been able to find it. My tapes got worn out so I am looking for the cd’s.
He only upset me once and that is only because I had yet to see Episode 1 and he pretty much tells the whole movie. I got over it needless to say.

Weird Al is coming back to OKC???
When?? Where??
I haven’t heard anything about it (sorry, I live in a vacuum tube).
I WANNA GO!!!

Another Al fan here, seen him twice here in Columbus, OH. A different crowd, for sure. Smeghead and Oicu812, you already named some of my favorites, but there’s also:
“Spam in the place where I live”
“Gump sat alone on a bench in the park…”
“Taco…Grande”
“Yoda”

Anyone else have the Wendy Carlos/Weird Al version of Peter and the Wolf?

It’s great to see other people who love the master of parodies. Weird Al and I have the same Alma Mater (Cal Poly SLO)! He recorded “My Bologna” in the bathroom of the Communication’s Building just 10 years before I got there. It had great accoustics. (I always felt really uncomfortable going potty in such a sacred place.)
I saw him live at Knott’s once, and he did this really funny bit when the mic was off to the tune of “If I could Save Time in a Bottle”. Only the first few rows could hear it, and it went:
If I could make love to a bottle,
I tell ya the first thing I’d do,
Is tsearch the world o’er for a bottle
The exact same circumfrence as you…
We were cracking up while the rest of the audience was trying to figure out what was funny.

The Bare Naked Ladies parody about watching too much Jerry Springer is a hoot, not to mention the Star Wars Part One bit done to American Pie.

I don’t mind listening to the Barenaked Ladies. Their music is pretty good, I don’t turn it off if it comes on the radio. But spend money and fight the crowds to go to one of their concerts? God no, it’d never happen.

Of course, you could replace BNL with Pearl Jam, Matchbox 20, Creed, or any of 100 artists and get the same result.

In other words, there is no explanation. Different strokes for different folks. And so on, and so on, and shooby dooby doo.

It’s on “UHF Sountrack (And Other Stuff).”

It’s called “The Hot Rocks Polka”

Al will be playing at Oklahoma Christian University on Friday, August 25. I’m there, dude.

Gilligan: I had the tape of the Wendy (formerly Walter) Carlos and Al Yankovic version of Peter and the Wolf, but it got destroyed and I can’t afford to pay ebay prices for another copy of the CD or something. I want it VERY badly.

So badly, I’m very seriously considering mp3 piracy, since it’s almost impossible to get it otherwise.

I used to like Metallica… Until they started whining like little babies about Napster.