Weird Blotches on Face Under Ultraviolet Light

(Talking about a weird discovery…)

I was at a 60s party this weekend, standing under a set of big black lights, when a partner from work noticed little dark blotches all over my face. I thought she had been drinking, but, no, I too saw them in a mirror. When we later stood under incandescent lighting, the blotches weren’t visible and everything looked as it should.

BTW, her skin wasn’t like this under ultraviolet light.

Any ideas what this could be? Sun damage?

Do you use any makeup or lotion of some kind?

SUN DAMAGE!

Eventually that will all come to the surface. Learned this MANY, MANY years ago.

I stopped going out of my way to lay/be in the sun 35 years ago. Today I’m covered with those “spots” anyway from ALL the PRIOR years of “tanning/swiming/boating”.

Tain’t no joke kids.

I don’t know what causes skin to apear DARK under UV, but this sight http://www.bumc.bu.edu/www/busm/cme/modules/comderm/cdwle.htm

lists things that cause skin to fluoresce under UV.

"The Wood’s light is a light source that emits 360 nm wavelength ultraviolet (UV) light. Indications for Wood’s light examination include any time a cutaneous condition is suspected in which a product is formed that is known to fluoresce. Examples include:

Tinea capitis: Microsporum canis and Microsporum audoini species of dermatophytes produce a bright blue/green fluorescence.

Erythrasma: Caused by Corynebacterium minutissimum, which produces a porphyrin that fluoresces a coral red-pink/orange.

Pseudomonas aeruginosa: Produces a yellow-green fluorescence.

Tinea versicolor: The pigmentary changes are augmented in subtle cases.

Porphyria cutanea tarda: Acidified urine and feces fluoresce a pink-orange color.

Miscellaneous: Vitiligo and the ash leaf macules of tuberous sclerosis fluoresce white."

I have the same thing. My face looks like I have some weird skin disease under black light. Freaked me out the first time I saw my reflection under black light. I have red hair and so I figured it was freckles. The freckles on my face don’t show under normal light like they did when I was a kid; just under black light.

Do you have freckles?

Nope, but I’ve got my first response from Dr. Matrix! Now, let me tell you about this lepton I once knew…