Weird electrical breaker occurrence

I’m a little confused. You have:

• A GFCI outlet in the bathroom with a test and reset button
  • A regular circuit breaker in your panel which controls this outlet

Is this correct? If so, you said, “Yes, it has a test button and the test button trips the breaker.” Do you actually mean that it trips the breaker back in the panel, or it trips the GFCI outlet? After you push the test button do you just have to push the reset button on the outlet to restore power, or do you have to go and reset the circuit breaker?

In the past, it was definitely the circuit breaker that you needed to reset and not the GFCI outlet?

ETA: It is also possible that you have a GFCI breaker in your panel. That sort of breaker will have a test button in addition to the regular breaker lever.

I have an upstairs and downstairs bathroom. The GFCI is in the upstairs bathroom. It controls both bathroom outlets. I know , so what? I just felt like sharing.

Was there perhaps a switch on the circuit that was closed (on) when the breaker flipped in the past, and that switch is open (off) now? Are there any lights on that circuit, or just outlets?

One far-fetched scenario is a loose wire on the breaker co-incidental to the breaker next to it being near capacity. The heat from the loose wire would not be able to dissipate due to the heating from next door. If you are comfortable with it, take the cover off the breaker panel and visually, from about 6-8" away, see if the wire on the breaker is discolored or hairline cracked right next to the breaker screw. Phone zoom or magnifying app works ok for that. DON’T BREAK THE PLANE (put anything past where the cover would be if it were still on.) Visually look for any discolored wires, wear marks from rubbing, or maybe something that had gotten pinched by the cover. If you are not comfortable with the cover off,** DON’T TAKE IT OFF.**
Otherwise, shut the breaker off and pull the outlet. Check the wiring there the same way. They are relatively cheap so I’d just replace it.

Sorry, the test button is in the panel, next to the breaker lever.

Insta-trip is a classic GFCI failure mode. Only a dead short would cause an over-current trip, and that would be unlikely to fix itself.
I’m still leaning towards damp wiring somewhere. Maybe even a dead critter (which has no become completely desiccated) in an outlet.

Just a single outlet.

If this is the case, what should I do? Is there any danger?

I don’t think there is any danger, just the possibility of future nuisance tripping. If you find that it trips again, try to associate it with some change in the environment or usage.

Anytime I’ve had a GFCI problem, I’ve replaced the outlet and solved the problem. Maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Except for one time, back when I was married. My wife told me her hairdryer kept tripping the GFCI outlet. I couldn’t reproduce the problem. I asked her to plug in her hairdryer and it tripped! The way she held the plug when inserting it caused her ring to push the “test” button.

Isn’t that a little odd? A single household outlet on a circuit? Maybe it’s common, but it seems like a really inefficient way to wire a house/apartment. Are you 100% sure there aren’t any other outlets/switches/overhead lights/fans on the circuit?

I’m as sure as I can be without being an expert.

I had something similar in an apartment I lived in about 20 years ago.

The outlet in my bedroom would short out, completely randomly. Usually wouldn’t work again, until some random time later, when I could flip the breaker and not have it trip immediately.

The wall was what separated my room from the bathroom, and I was on the ground floor.

What apparently was happening, was when the neighbors upstairs would take a bath, any water that ran into the overflow would instead of going down the pipe, would end up going down inside of the wall, dripping on the back of the electrical outlet.

That whole thing ended up being a nasty mess with them wanting to rip out my wall and ceiling. They were worried about mold.

I don’t know how it turned out, exactly, as my lease was up, and I moved out.

If you are below another unit, that may be something to look into. Not just for the electrical issue, but for the mold possibility as well.

I figured critter or wet receptacle as well. A little water in the plug could definitely have been th problem given the location.

It was probably an add on, with it being a dedicated restroom circuit with a GFI breaker in a 30 year old building.

Does that circuit contain a 3 or 4 way switch?

Not that I know of.

A couple of years ago I had a problem with a breaker that kept tripping, or so I thought. The circuit it controlled would go dead, I would go out and reset the breaker, and it would keep working for a while. At one point I replaced the breaker, which made things better for a while, but it started tripping again. The frequency kept increasing, and I started to think I would have to hire an electrician.

One day the breaker tripped, and when I went out to the garage to reset it I left the door open. I noticed that things came back on as soon as I touched the breaker. That is, I didn’t have to reset it - all I had to do was touch it. I removed the breaker and looked at the contacts, both on the breaker and in the box. They were corroded. The breaker wasn’t tripping at all - there was a bad contact, and wiggling things would re-establish the contact temporarily.

I cleaned the contact in the box, replaced the breaker, and the problem never happened again.

A similar oddity in a house I was renting a few years back: The main outlet above the bathroom sink wouldn’t stay on. I later happened to find that an outlet in the garage wasn’t powered, either.

An electrician came and asked if I wanted him to fix the problem or (seeing that I had tons of tools around the garage) if I just wanted it detected so I could fix it. I chose the latter option. He detected that there was a line going from the breaker panel to the inside of the garage to the opposite side of the garage to a back-yard outlet and, somewhere along that line, the master bathroom sink outlet was tied in. He told me to find the short, then reset the GFCI’s (multiple) on backward toward the breaker panel so that, if there were multiple shorts along the line, I’d have a better chance of detecting them. I tried a few times and resigned myself to just not using anything on that line.

Then, just for the hell of it, I decided to replace the pump for the bird bath fountain and, while I was at it, I noticed the extension cord for the light over the gazebo was crusty. When I pulled apart the extension cord and the lamp cord I discovered there was one strand of wire (out of a couple dozen) that was lightly touching the prong on the other side of the plug. One tiny strand was all it took! And it was an electrical part that I had just assumed was properly installed by the landlady’s husband years prior to our renting the place.

I completely replaced the plug, checked the GFCI’s all the way back to the breaker and panel, and never had a problem after that.

–G!
Sometimes the key to a problem is in a surprisingly obscure place!

Sorry, been away from the computer for a few days.

So you have a GFCI breaker, protecting a regular, non-GFCI outlet in the bathroom. In this case I am tending to agree with the posters who mentioned moisture in the outlet (outdoor GFCIs frequently trip in heavy rains).

Having read this thread multiple times, I am still confused.

Was the breaker tripping because of overcurrent or because of GFI?

If it was overcurrent, I’d be concerned because that suggests an intermittent problem that could burn the house down. If it is GFI, then I suspect there is an exterior outlet on the same circuit that either got wet or had something plugged into it that causes it to trip.

To me, it makes no sense to replace a conventional breaker with a GFI breaker for a single outlet. The same result could be achieved by just installing a GFI outlet. If there was an exterior outlet on the same circuit as the bathroom, then the GFI breaker would make sense.

So, it’s (finally!) been established the OP has a panel mounted circuit overload breaker with GFCI protection… I think.:smack:

Now it needs to be established what the OP means by: “tripped”.

Was the breaker opening (tripping) because of an overload, or because of a ground fault? I could make a pretty good guess, but that is all it would be… A GUESS.

Any good electrician with a megger could give you a definitive answer in five minutes (maybe less). Seek professional help.