Weird things that happened to me while baking.

First, I spilled sugar all over myself and the floor by tipping a (unbeknownst to me) slightly-open tupperware canister out of the cupboard (I tip them because I am too short to reach that high). That was really weird because the sugar felt really-- creepy – hitting my face and going inside my shirt, and a little powdery cloud went everywhere. Even after sweeping the floor thoroughly, it was completely sticky. I had to wipe it with a wet cloth.

Then I needed baking powder, couldn’t find any, and went to the basement to scout out the spare. When I got to the top of the stairs, I turned off the main light, saw that the kitchen light downstairs (separate switch) was on. I turned on the main light and when I got to the bottom of the stairs, the kitchen light was off. I found this out when I flipped the switch and it turned on. Good thing stuff like this happens to me all the time, so I wasn’t freaked out.

After mixing the peanut butter cookies, I went to wash my hands and found bright blue stuff near the mixing bowl and all over my hands. At this point, I began to get freaked out. What was that stuff?!?? After much investigation, it turns out that I accidentally tipped a slightly-open little jar of paste food coloring onto my hand in the cupboard.

Advice: don’t bake anything from scratch when it’s past your bedtime.

Good peanut butter cookies. Mmmmmm.

Are they blue? :wink:

Nah, just a bit sad and put out.

She’s Blue, badda-dee, badda-da…!

This morning, I’ve gotten up early, all psyched about baking some sourdough bread. But many things, not so weird have already deterred me. A) The kitchen is a disaster! B) I can’t find the darn dough hook C) I’m staaaaarvng ! So, my solution? Sit and eat my cream of wheat and hope that the kitchen cleaning fairies will show up while I’m sitting here at my computer. Stranger things have happened, right?

when i was a shorter sweeter cynic (read: about 8 or 9 years old) i was doing holiday baking with my mom.

she gave me the honor of baking the brownies.

they were beautiful - thick, fudgy, dark chocolaty yumminess.

and i forgot to put the flour in. which we realized after we baked it for an hour and it came out solid as a rock.

:smack:

thank God they make them in a package now where you can just break off little squares and put them in a pan. it’s about impossible to screw them up. :smiley:

Thank goodness; I thought I was the only one who has “adventures” in the kitchen. Getting ‘tsp’ and ‘tbs’ confused is bad enough, but I won’t ever confuse baking soda and baking powder ever again. Yuck.

My kids will never let me forget the time I broiled an angel food cake.

I make delicious angel food cake, from scratch. Just turned the dial on the oven just a liiiitle bit too far. Cakes don’t like to be broiled.

Forgive me, but, while I sympathize with the situation, I am confused as to how dry sugar would make the floor sticky. Surely you could just sweep it away, no harm done?
I can imagine the horror at seeing blue goo all over. I would have wondered where the aliens had come in, and why they had sneezed in my batter.
Can I have a cookie?