Welcome to Jupiter - NASA's Juno spacecraft makes it to Jupiterorbit!

More information from NASA’s Juno mission here:

I watched the JOI process, and followed along with the Nasa’s Eyes app. Pretty cool.

Cool item of the mission: Inside the space craft there are no astronauts, but there are a few small Lego figures made of special aluminum. Jupiter/Zeus, Juno the wife of Jupiter and Galileo Galilei.

http://www.space.com/12546-lego-figures-jupiter-juno-spacecraft.html

Like.

What a waste. We should feed the poor first.

Just kidding! I have NASA EYES installed. Congrats NASA!

Not a fan of the LEGO figurines. Did LEGO pay for that?

When do we get to see the new pics?

The math on the flight trajectory is more than enough to give me nightmares.

Juno Mission & Trajectory Design

Juno is in a widely elliptical orbit and I think at the moment it’s swinging away from Jupiter. Each orbit takes over an Earth month, so it won’t be until next month when it swings back and starts taking closeups.

Somewhat bittersweet. This is probably the last visit to the outer planets for at least 20 years, so let’s enjoy it while we can. Still have New Horizons that might get close to another KBO, though.

This is the hardest thing that NASA has ever done? Didn’t they just land on a comet and drill into its core a year ago? I would have thought that that’s harder.

Still, very cool - I love planetary close-ups. I still marvel at the Voyager II images.

Isn’t the EU sending a mission to Jupiter in the 2020s?

^^Yep, if it’s not bumped for something else. That would be an arrival in about 14 years if all goes well. I think there was a previous probe scheduled for Saturn, but it ended up getting bumped.

Yeah, well I’m not keeping track of that one. Y’all can do it.

Are you talking about ESA’s Rosetta/Philae comet mission?

There’s also a planned mission to Europa, combining a multiple-flyby “clipper” and a small lander. It is supposed to launch between 2022 and 2025, and it’d arrive in ~6 years if launched by Atlas V, or ~3 years if launched by the SLS. The mission design is still in relatively early phases, but there’s a lot of political support from congress for this particular mission (with a budget specifically allocated) so IMO there’s a good chance it will launch on time. So we’re looking at an arrival between 2025 and maybe 2035, if there are delays.

“All These Worlds Are Yours—Except Europa. Attempt No Landing There.” :eek:

It’s funny. I think Europa is the ONLY place we should go…and with the biggest ice drill that can be built and transported. :slight_smile:

Forgot to include in my post: here’s an excellent article on the mission development and politics behind the Europa mission.

levdrakon:

Oops, you’re right, that wasn’t by NASA after all.

I’d like to see another probe to Neptune and Uranus, but. . . golly, they were actually pretty featureless and boring–and it would take forever to get there. And I suspect I won’t be around 135 or so years from now for the next Grand Tour launch window.

By which you mean, something that will barely scratch the surface? :slight_smile:

I’m just joking with you, though. Given the right tech, this is definitely the mission I’d like to see most at the moment. However, it really is a long way away from being feasible.