Well, His Heart Was in the Right Place

Thai man arrested after trying to donate methamphetamine to flood relief center

We’ve been having our annual bout of rainy-season flooding, and last Monday a Thai man tried to donate “11 methamphetamine pills in a small plastic zip-lock bag” at a flood-relief center.

Excerpt: “'Looking high, he showed the volunteers the drugs and told them, “I don’t have any money to donate. Will these do?’” Pawat said. “Little did he know that the volunteers were actually from a civil drug suppression task force”.”

Now he’s looking at 10 years in the pokey.

Ten years? For some crosstops?

I dunno, it seems to me like, here you are at an emergency relief center because there is some kind of natural disaster going on. Presumably you’re off duty from work and thus have left your narc hat at home… perhaps a simple, “Go home, speed freak guy – you’re way too high!” would have sufficed.

Jeez, ten years!

He could consider himself lucky. I don’t know where the line is drawn, but above a certain number it’s the death penalty.

Note to self: Get out, get out quick, but remember before evacuating to emergency shelter in Thailand that I need to grab copious quantities of illegal narcotics as I may not be able to procure them in said shelter. :frowning:

Maybe this could be the beginning of the story of an evil meth dealer who wants nothing more than to give to charity and become a high school chemistry teacher. Oh, Thaisenberg, will you ever win?

Little floodies, pa rum pum pum pum
I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum
I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum
That’s fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

StG

The death penalty. For the same thing many of our mothers were given as diet aids back in the sixties. For (essentially) the same thing we give hyperactive children today. Hmmm.

The drug laws of some SE-Asian nations are notoriously draconian – sometimes to the very unpleasant surprise of travelers who did not do their research.

Some? Make that all, and throw in East Asia and South Asia too. But yeah, it’s often all fun and games on the traveler’s trail until they get popped. Stories are legion.

Tuk-tuk drivers up North in Chiang Mai are notorious for selling drugs to tourists, then reporting the buyers to police. The drivers get a reward and the drugs back to sell to someone else.